Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 18:18   #61

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: simplified plumbing, Composting and "direct deposit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
Well, for me, sailing on Lake Michigan, there is no dumping overboard.
What I meant was to have the urinal mounted on the bulkhead, keeping the toilet where it is. The urinal, since it is higher than the tank, maybe can be plumbed directly to the tank (not sure that works on a heel though...maybe needs a shut off valve in the hose). Or it just drains into the toilet bowl, which has to be pumped dry after use.

Just trying to make it easier for the Wednesday night sailing boys to hit the target

Greg
I see!

Sounds ideal for your setup!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 18:42   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
Well, for me, sailing on Lake Michigan, there is no dumping overboard.

What I meant was to have the urinal mounted on the bulkhead, keeping the toilet where it is. The urinal, since it is higher than the tank, maybe can be plumbed directly to the tank (not sure that works on a heel though...maybe needs a shut off valve in the hose). Or it just drains into the toilet bowl, which has to be pumped dry after use.

Just trying to make it easier for the Wednesday night sailing boys to hit the target

Greg

Tell the Wednesday night sailing boys to have a seat while taking care of business. It’s been the rule on our boats for decades.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 19:05   #63

My direct deposit comments were meant for passage making, not coastal sailing... I thought I made that pretty clear. But there are always the screamers horrified at dropping a turd overboard even a thousand miles from land... as if all creatures in the sea don't **** in the sea also.. unless they happen to also spend time on land.

Most sailors rarely are out of sight of land for very long if at all, so it obviously doesn't apply to them. On passage it makes little sense to use even a composting head, but for normal inshore sailing the composting head makes the most sense to me, as it eliminates the complexity of the systems, the holding tanks, the smelly plumbing... and it always seems to be smelly.

The inescapable reality is that offshore at many if not most men are going to piss over the side when nobody's looking. No sense in pretending otherwise. This is said to be the number one cause of MOB incidents, and at sea recovery is problematic at best. Perhaps a pushpit designed specifically with this in mind would make sense, particularly for the solo sailor.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 14:48   #64

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

One hand for the man, one hand for the ship. Very old salty advice.
Peanut butter jar. Hold wheel non dominant hand. Pee in jar. Dump over when convenient. Beer drinking requires more jars.
No need to go to the rail.
Avoid discharge near marine mammals or cops.
Cops will ticket. Orcas will eat your rudder.
Manatees will flip their hot biscuits into your cockpit then flatulate upwind of you till you pass out.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his pizza and beer manatee friends
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 19:18   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
One hand for the man, one hand for the ship. Very old salty advice.
Peanut butter jar. Hold wheel non dominant hand. Pee in jar. Dump over when convenient. Beer drinking requires more jars.
No need to go to the rail.
Avoid discharge near marine mammals or cops.
Cops will ticket. Orcas will eat your rudder.
Manatees will flip their hot biscuits into your cockpit then flatulate upwind of you till you pass out.
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his pizza and beer manatee friends

You won't find manatees or cops on an ocean passage.... Also most folks are not hand steering except for day sailors or close to shore.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 03:50   #66

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

OH...gee really? Why is it that some posters have absolutely nothing about themselves, their experience or thei boat...if they own one?
Sorry, I should have started my prior post with...
Greetings. The following post contains one real suggestion
Use a peanut butter jar
And a lot of lame, idiotic, manatee fun.
I’m a so so sorry.
Offgassing.
Captain Mark and his dry humor manatees
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 05:41   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

sometimes CF is just a crazy place collecting crazy ............ "stuff"

BTW - I have never peed over the side or into a bucket while sailing (definitely not into any peanut butter jar ).

Tags
plumbing, posting