Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 00:45   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Sink Pump Suggestions ?

The sink handpump is a Trojan brand and I want to replace it. This one, like others I have had on a campertrailer, has started leaking at the top of the barrel. The water then runs down into the cupboard below. I do need to put some sealer on the back panel but the leaking pump is a problem.

First question: I thought maybe to replace it with a Fynspray handpump like this one since it should easily fit the same hole and hose diameter:FYNSPRAY Galley Pump

Are these quality handpumps which don't start leaking after a week of use?

Second question: There is not much room at the sink but I am wanting to have two fresh water inlets. One will be fresh clean drinking water, the other will be fresh water I would prefer not to drink. Do you think there looks like enough room to have two handpumps on a sink this small?

Third question: Instead of handpumps, given the small amount of room, would it be preferable to install two small 12v electric pumps and spouts as the pumps can be tucked away elsewhere? I would need to ensure adequate battery reserves and do wiring but there would be little bulk at the sink. Pros and cons?

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:14   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
In a small boat, the manual pump is probably all you need.

We have an electric pump but when it fails, and they all do at some point, then we need the manual pump.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:22   #3

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
what is behind that vertical fiberglass panel under the stove and sink access areas?

prime place to mount a foot pump, you will wonder how you put up with a hand pump all this time...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I use these with a switch mounted handily near the sink... cheap, easy to fit, easy to replace...

PS... that sink could do with some serious bleach... either that or you seriously need a water filter...
The top ones for the bilge... the lowers an inline for FW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il200.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	23608  

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Also consider a variety of a foot operated pump, conditions/needs permitting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 15:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
... that sink could do with some serious bleach... either that or you seriously need a water filter...

Hahahaha, I had been washing down and cleaning floor walls etc so plenty of dirty water from my cleaning bucket down the sink. HOWEVER, that is nothing, you should have seen all the brown sludge that came out of the water tank. It is a bladder one and I removed it and with a thin brush through the water inlet managed to scrub it out somewhat. Mucky. And, no, it was not the holding tank, well I think it wasn't.

Now you know why I am wanting to put in a clean clean fresh water container for drinking out of. At home I have a rain water tank which only gets filled after an inch or so of heavy rain has cleaned the roof so I am spoiled, lovely cups of tea or cool fresh water on hot days. Even if I only have 20 litres of rain water to take with me, I can make lots of cups of tea from that.
Old 09-02-2011, 15:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
what is behind that vertical fiberglass panel under the stove and sink access areas?

prime place to mount a foot pump, you will wonder how you put up with a hand pump all this time...
Okay, Pressuredrop and Barnakiel have both suggested footpumps. I have never used one so I don't know how well they work. In theory, I am thinking that it would leave hands free and would be easier than having to reach over to the other side of the sink to lift the plunger up and down, okay for me, not so for my spouse who has disability. I will certainly think about it, at foot level below the sink, there is hard-to-access storage space so should not be a problem installing a foot pump or two in there.
Old 09-02-2011, 15:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I use these with a switch mounted handily near the sink... cheap, easy to fit, easy to replace...
Boatman61, I think those little in-line pumps would be handy. If I recall rightly, a bloke I know used similar with a 20 litre water container in the back of his 4wd when camping. The container stayed out-of-reach in his vehicle and the outlet was easy to use at the tailgate.

I guess if the pressure is not high, the outlet would not need a tap, just a faucet.

Boatman61, do you have a pic of your setup?