Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 23:18   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Slow drain?

My galley sink is connected to a seacock and drains overboard. But, it is draining very very slow! I have a plunger but it doesn't seem to help. It takes sometimes 10 minutes or longer to drain a full sink of water.

Anybody have a suggestion on how to get it to flow faster? The hoses and seacock are hard to reach under the sink. The galley has two sinks connected to a together with Y-fitting and then to the seacock. The sinks are drained by 1"inch reinforced vinyl hoses.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 00:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Slow drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I have a plunger but it doesn't seem to help.

The galley has two sinks connected to a together with Y-fitting .
Do you block one sink drain while using the plunger on the other?

If I have to use a plunger, I need to do that (and also block the drain hole in the dish rack area), otherwise plunging just blows back through the other drain points.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 02:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

How far below the water line is the fitting and how close is the sink bottom to water line?
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 03:57   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Try draining the sink when sailing on different tacks!

When my sink was still on the boat and installed, it drained very slowly if at anchor or the marina because the seacock was right at or just below the water line.

Has it always drained slowly or just recently.

If just recently, it's a blockage of some sort and you will have to clear it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 05:38   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

The hoses slowly get clogged with grease etc on my boat. So I try regularly to pour hot water down each side, but every once in a while I have to take the system apart and clean it. It is a nasty job and normally worst than a hold tank hose job.

So if you want to really find and fix the issue you need to take the hoses off and see where it is clogged.
Old 21-06-2022, 05:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

It's likely that grease buildup on the walls of the drain line is the reason it's draining slowly. The cure--and prevention--is easy and doesn't require any manual labor:

Raritan only markets their "C.P. Cleans Potties" as a bowl cleaner--and it is an excellent one. But it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact, but the enzymes in it "eat" (euphemistic term) hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease and all the stuff that clogs sumps and drains and makes 'em stinky. All you need to is put 2-3 oz down the shower drain when it can stand at least overnight...the enzymes need time to work. Then flush clean water through the sump. You can even let it remain in the sump for weeks, 'cuz although the enzymes exhaust themselves in 24 hours, there's nothing in C.P. that can harm anything. To clean sink drains, close the seacock, then put 1-2 ounces of C.P down the drain in both sinks and fill both drains with water--again when it can stand at least overnight, then flush clean water down the drain. That's it.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 09:32   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I will add that this could likely be growth on your thru-hull exit. May need a cleaning there. Ask me how I know.
Old 21-06-2022, 14:09   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Very hot soapy water. Plug the other sink (if you have a double). If you're located somewhere you can try Peggy's magic stuff, close the through hull seacock first, so it doesn't just run out. Also, some people use short plumbing "snakes". Note, you'll want to clean it before storage.

Ann
Old 22-06-2022, 03:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I will add that this could likely be growth on your thru-hull exit. May need a cleaning there...
Indeed.
Either, dive on the thru-hull, and clean from the outside, or "snake" the drain, from the sink.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 03:37   #10

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Plumbers snake, unless you have a non return valve which I doubt. Buy at any hardware store. Useful for other draining issues too.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 09:29   #11

I have a feeling it has something to do with the diameter of the drain hoses. I think I'm going to revise the design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sink-02.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	260897   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink-03.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	260898  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sink-04.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	260899  
Old 13-07-2022, 09:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Plumbers snake, unless you have a non return valve which I doubt. Buy at any hardware store. Useful for other draining issues too.
Thanks. I have already tried that. I have a feeling that the diameter of my drain hoses are the main culprit. For plain water they should not be a problem but with particles of food they are just not wide enough.

The boat was on the hard for 12 years and I did a lot of renovations on board to get it livable again. I just started staying aboard at the end of last year. So, the drain was fine when used just for water.
Old 13-07-2022, 09:54   #13

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
I have a feeling it has something to do with the diameter of the drain hoses. I think I'm going to revise the design.

You have a lot of T connections, each one is an opportunity for congestion as well as vacuum. Perhaps a larger jose size may help as well as making sure the whole system is not being retarded by a clog upstream. If you are worried about a Venturi effect, you can always add a syphon ventilated loop to prevent that and actually help drainage
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 01:59   #14

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

The problem with small hoses is often air, not foul. At rest, the hose is full of air above the waterline. When draining your sink, the water tries to push the air column down, which fails of course. The air cannot escape upwards towards the sink because the diameter of the hose is fully filled with water. It's an air lock. Only bubbles of air can escape at a time and thus be replaced by water from the sink. Only when the whole hose is completely filled with water (after a long wait) a modest stream can pass thru. But by then your sink is probably already quite empty. Been there...

Apart from keeping it as clean as possible, only larger diameter (say 1" / 25mm inside) hose and fittings offers a real solution.
Old 14-07-2022, 04:55   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Bigger hoses won't fix anything if they bottleneck at a seacock that's the same size as the hoses in your photo.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote