Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 15:40   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Smell from Air Conditioning System

Ed, I had an evaporator (the coils behind the glove box) fail on a car, and the shop that fixed it gave me a big can of "shaving cream" with a hose on it. The idea is to push the hose into or onto the drain tube (which is usually under whatever pan/coiul you have) and then blow out the shaving cream, which is a product designed to clean the coils without harming them. Since it foams and expands it can '"go uphill".

You might be able to get that stuff at any auto parts store.

If not, I'd get a pump sprayer, for garden/deck spraying, and either get a bent nozzle for it, or bend up the nozzle, so you can insert the wand and they spray it up and around the coils. Insecticide sprayers usually have tips like that, to spray inside walls.

Your choice of whatever you think will kill the crud, followed by a good water wash to make sure it doesn't attack the coils.

Hydrogen peroxide might make a good crud killer. Hair supply places carry it in much stronger concentrations (40%) than the 3% stuff from the drugstore.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 15:43   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

All solutions can be described as having a pH factor which is related to their hydrogen ion concentration. "Whacked out" is never a condition of pH. Vinegar has a pH of 4 to 5 (a weak acid) & "bleach", sodium hypochlorite has a pH of 11 to 12 (a strong base). Chlorine in not the same as bleach, but bleach contains chlorine. Yes, sodium hypochlorite will react with aluminum and should be rinsed well if used on aluminum surfaces. A little misunderstood annecdotal information can lead people far from truth. There's some good information on this thread, but much poor science too. 'makes me wonder how much incorrect stuff we hear about boats, which is a topic that I would expect more here would know about!
Old 16-12-2013, 15:48   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

For this side of the world....... Dri-Eaz Products | Microban Milgo Plus (formerly QGC)

When I use to work in building maintenance several years ago we used a product called Milgo, which has been upgraded to Milgo Plus. It can be deluted and sprayed right into the coils while it's running. It did a great job of killing bacteria and smells.

I now use it on my canvas to keep the mildew and mold off. Also, around deck drains and corners where moisture stands
Old 16-12-2013, 15:57   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
................and the shop that fixed it gave me a big can of "shaving cream" with a hose on it. The idea is to push the hose into or onto the drain tube (which is usually under whatever pan/coiul you have) and then blow out the shaving cream, which is a product designed to clean the coils without harming them. Since it foams and expands it can '"go uphill". ...............
I ike this idea of using a soap or detergent on the coils or in the pan at regular intervals and rinse it all away without using caustic chemicals. Someone might need to use something harsh to kill microbes and break away years of neglect, but once this has been done, hellosailor's plan sounds best!
Old 16-12-2013, 16:29   #20

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

There are sprays designed to clean the various things that cover coils over time. I have a background in commercial HVAC and we used to clean the evap coils once a month. The foaming type works the easiest and can be bought at Home Depot or the like for under $6. It will "scrub" the oils and scum from the fins.

There are tablets that will clean out the drain pan and lines. You just drop them in and they kill of anything growing in there. Over time, they drain down in to lines and clear them out as well.

The more humidity you have to deal with, the more chance for things to grow.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 20:58   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Luckily boats our size do not have long ducting runs, which is where the real challenge of cleaning out accumulated mold exists and steam cleaning is used on large buildings and ships

I have 3 MarineAir Con units which see lots of hours when I am living on board at a marina.

Every 2 years or so the fancoil units are taken out, pressure washed clean and compressor is load tested. Takes about 2 hours per unit
For preventative maintenance vacuuming of return air filter and using the Tea tree gel packs, prevents inefficiency and growth in high humidity
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mold in ducts.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	72278  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 21:16   #22

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Clove Oil just a small drop in water will both kill and prevent mold.

1/4 teaspoon in 1L water.

Google < clove oil mould >
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 21:19   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Clove Oil just a small drop in water will both kill and prevent mold.

1/4 teaspoon in 1L water.

Google < clove oil mould >
Good for relieving that tooth ache too.
Old 17-12-2013, 05:35   #24

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

And it smells delicious as well.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning