Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 07:05   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Smelly toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Bob! That means USING! Not maintaining 😂😂😂😂😂
I would put a litre of bleach in there and slowly work it through the pipes. Then flush through and empty tank, then rinse. Mark
You're half right Mark...tank products SHOULD be introduced through the toilet in both marine and RV systems. But bleach is a no-no, and so are all household chemical toilet bowl cleaners, because they're highly destructive to the rubber parts in toilets and can react negatively with tank products.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:10   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
You're half right Mark...tank products SHOULD be introduced through the toilet in both marine and RV systems. But bleach is a no-no, and so are all household chemical toilet bowl cleaners, because they're highly destructive to the rubber parts in toilets and can react negatively with tank products.
I agree they react negitivly with bio type tank products.

On the rubber, I did a test leaving a ajabsco O Ring in a cup of bleach for a week. It was fine. To test its fineness I then installed it in the head and used it for a year.

Bleach does not affect rubber.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 08:41   #18
Marine Service Provider

Hi Bob... I'd never heard of your toilet...it's made by Oceans Technologies who has only one US distributor (and only one in OZ). I wasn't able to download an owners from the net, so I've reached out to the mfr to email one to me. I wouldn't have chosen a macerating electric toilet for an RV (what you call a caravan). If you bought this caravan with this toilet already installed, would you consider replacing it with a real "RV" toilet (they aren't expensive) that has the "trap door" in the bottom of the bowl? It would not be difficult to route the right size hose (most likely 3") to your tank. Check out the Dometic 500 series. Theford also has similar style RV toilets and I'm 99% certain that both are available in OZ.

What "offending part" did your marine guy remove? It if it was the vent line filter, the entire vent line should be replaced. because it's prob'ly full of the goop the plumber used. If it wasn't, remove it and replace the vent line.

As to the vent filter I would have thought a couple of gal hose clamps would do the trick.

Yup...that would have been right way to do it.

we don't use any tank sanitiser as the only way we could get it into the tank would be through the toilet bowl and we have been told to put nothing down there that hasn't gone through your mouth.

As Mark has already noted, that only applies to use, not maintenance. Flushing through the toilet is the only way to add a product to an RV tank, but tank products should always be introduced through the toilet on boats too...if they're put down the deck the pumpout fitting they may never make it past the elbow on tanks that have discharge fittings at the bottom. There's an excellent product that's now available in OZ...it's called No-Flex. I recommend you start using it.

I really think that replacing the toilet, replacing the vent line and use of a good tank product will be the least expensive, and IMMEDIATE solution to your problem. But if you want to keep the toilet, I'll let you know just as soon as I get the owners manual for it.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
Old 28-03-2017, 08:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Try soaking a seal and a joker valve in bleach that you replace as often as you pour it down the toilet and see what happens.
Old 28-03-2017, 09:54   #20

Not sure about down under but RV/Caravan toilets are much different between N. America and Europe.

The N. American ones are basically a trap door down to a tank and then the tank empties from a slider valve. The whole thing is simple gravity. The toilet itself itself is simple and cheap (compared to a marine toilet) but you need to have a place under the toilet where you can mount the tank. 20-60gal tanks are common.

European ones are typically cassette style where there is a much smaller tank right below the toilet and the entire tank is removed to empty it. 2-5gal tanks are common.

If you are going to rip out a brand new system, seriously consider a composting toilet. Simple nothing to break or fail. Especially if you aren't full time, you can just leave it between trips and you have excellent potting soil after a month or so.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 14:31   #21

Boat: Privilege 435

What often causes a problem in marine heads is cheap sanitation hose. Once they become permeable you will never get rid of the smell without replacing them. Here's how to find out if your hose is causing the problem.

Take a rag and soak it in hot water. Wrap the rag tightly around the hose and wait a minute or two for it to cool. Immediately remove the rag, take it upstairs onto the deck and smell it. If it smells, you have found your likely problem. Good luck.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 10:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

I managed to track down the mfr of your toilet (Ocean Technologies in Italy) and have had a response to my inquiries. I've learned that yours is a very old (obsolete) model--which prob'ly explains why it keeps deciding not work--but was able to get what passes for the instruction manual. If you'll send me a private message that includes your email address, I'll send it you (I can't attach anything to a PM). I also have the name of the only Ocean Technologies distributor in Australia, who may or may not have any parts for your toilet.

As near as I can tell from the exploded drawing, there is no one-way valve (joker valve or flapper valve) in the discharge fitting, which at least partially accounts for odor coming back through the toilet after the tank is dumped...a blocked or partially blocked tank vent line is also a definite possibility.

The age of your toilet coupled with its problems and the "maybe/maybe not" availability of any repair parts for it, and the fact that you didn't buy it separately from the caravan so you won't lose anything if you scrap it, supports my opinion that the best, least expensive solution is to replace it with a "gravity drop" toilet designed for use on caravans...installed by a caravan dealer who actually knows what he's doing!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 29-03-2017, 17:16   #23

Boat: River Caravan 30'

Dear Peggie

Haven't you been a busy young lady.lol

Well we had our toilet 'fixed a 2nd time yesterday. This morning it only had one use and broke down again.
My poor wife broke down in tears.

Anyway after she recovered her composure we decided to tell the dealer we wanted the toilet taken out and put in what you have suggested.

The dealer is bending over backwards to help us and your information about our macerator toilet being very old and obsolete has made him quite frustrated/angry. he is probably on the telephone as I write.

I will message you my email address when I finish this post.

Thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciate.

All the Best Bob
bobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:41   #24

Boat: River Caravan 30'

Sailmonkey

Thanks for your all the info you have provided. However, I have decided to go for a simple solution as suggested by Peggie in her latest post.

All the best Bob
bobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 21:22   #25
Marine Service Provider

It happens to everyone who owns a travel unit some day or the other. One fine day you step into your unit, and the smell from the toilet would knock you out.
Flushing or pouring special cleaners in to bowl and the tank would all be in vain with stench persisting permeating entire motor home or camper.
Would like to suggest a few simple measures to get rid of this stench. If stench still lingers, I would suggest you take expert advice from toilet repair services toronto.
The toilet smell could be because of damage to the sewer tank, leaking toilet, uncleaned condition or a clog.
Of the above reasons I cited, to fix the first two problems you might need a professional repair job unless you are extremely handy and is willing to deal with a messy situation.
1) Get rid of the clog
2) Scour, sanitize and sweeten the tank
3) Clean Flapper and Toilet
But continue to use your toilet and waste water tanks and hoses correctly and keep them clean.
Do check this youtube on how to deal with such odour https://youtu.be/e4UeuzAF2z4
carolpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil