Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 16:44   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Solenoid for propane

I finally got around to troubleshooting my stove. I was not getting any propane to it. My setup is there's a switch on the DC panel and then I have another switch at the stove. The solenoid is on the low pressure side. When I check both continuity and voltage at the second switch everything is OK so I know both switches are OK. When I check continuity of the wires disconnected at the solenoid it's OK. When I check voltage at the solenoid it's less than 1 volt.

Two things I didn't do: 1) check the voltage of only the wires at the solenoid end - I checked it while the wires were connected to the solenoid; and 2) I just thought of this moments ago - I might be out of propane!

So here's my question. Should the solenoid read 12 volts when the switch is on and the wires are connected? Or is a solenoid low voltage, although I'm not sure how that would make it read low voltage if the wires are delivering 12 volts and I'm measuring where the wires connect to it.

Thanks. Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 14:04   #2

Re: Solenoid for propane

If the voltage at the solenoid end of the wires is 12 volts with the solenoid disconnected, then the wiring isn't completely open. But hYou may have a poor connection that won't pass enough current for the solenoid. Try putting a light bulb in place of the solenoid. If it lights, then the solenoid coil has a problem. If it doesn't, then there is a poor connection in the wires, switches or breakers. Using a digital voltmeter will give OK voltage readings when a high resistance circuit won't carry any current.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 14:16   #3

Boat: Moody 425
Re: Solenoid for propane

Thanks svinshallah,

I brought it home with me and tested it with a 9 volt battery and it worked. I'm taking it back tonight, clean up the wires again and then connect it. I have a feeling that even though I'm getting a pressure reading I may be out of propane in that tank and that's all it is. It's been fairly warm here and I think the pressure was possibly from expanding air! I'm going to switch tanks when I hook it back up and see what happens. I know the other tank has more in it by the weight of it. And this time if it doesn't work I'm going to go about testing it methodically instead of jumping around and testing whatever comes to mind.

Larry
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane