Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2023, 18:23   #1

Boat: Norstar 360
Spectra 380C

Deciding what to do with a Spectra 380C system. While recommissioning I discovered one of the Clark cylinders and SS tube need replacing as it loosened in the base and became skewed. Removed the base and everything looks nearly unused which matches the use profile of the prior owner. On tear down it appears that the system was stored with fresh water…no salty taste on any part and no corrosion.

The membrane is assumed to need replacement as it’s 18 years old or so….but smelled sweet also attributed to fresh water storage and likely a pickling agent? ….but still warrants replacement

I’m in contact with Spectra on repair parts but not sure we will proceed. Boat is a Convertible type sport fisher (Norstar 360) having switched from our Farr 50PH when sold in France at the end of 2019. Our cruising limitations is more fuel having two Cummins 370hp engines….so. Watermaker was a bit of an oddity for the PNW waters the boat has always lived in.

Question….how to proceed? Repair and sell as functioning but in-installed. Do a full re-install and try to sell. Or part it out as is?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Brewer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 20:00   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Spectra 380C

Not sure what Spectre charges for labor on a rebuild. I was one of the last techs to go through their program as Katadyne bought them and shut it down. I know they have been getting more and more expensive to buy and I'm sure a rebuild is up there. Go online and see what units are for sale and see what they are going for. Ask Spectre what you might be looking at for a rebuild and upgrade and go from there.
It may be harder to sell needing work.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 15:43   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

The 380C is an old Spectra unit easily over 20 years old. I like its design and it lives on in the CapeHornExtreme330. It may very well be worth re-building as compared to new. These are the simplest of watermakers as a Spectra goes. If it has electronics on it and they work great. If they don't work, you'll deep six the electronics and go manual. The electronics are no longer available for a 380C. If you want, I be happy to walk you through getting this unit up and running properly if we do it here on the CF.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 16:30   #4

I am using a 380C, manual mode, and love it after having done a full rebuild, replaced every seal, but didn't need to do anything with the cylinders, still in good shape after all those years. I bought it used here on CF and get spare parts from Tellie. I recommend working with him if you decide to rebuild yourself.

The one part of the system I didn't like was the feed pumps- not reliable for me and my rebuild attempts failed and wasted time. I eventually went with a single Procon pump more similar to what I think Spectra is offering on newer models.

I don't know how much you value your time, but it was probably a full day for me to rebuild the Clark pump, and there was at least one "difficult" step of removing/installing some pretty inaccessible o rings. It helps having a wide variety of tools at hand, in this case, picks.

If not wanting to get into it, there is definitely a market for a broken but rebuildable Clark pump either here or on Facebook. Anyone who is going to base a project on a 20 year old system is capable of the rebuild, and Clark pumps are rare/impossible to find without buying complete systems. You have something of value for sure.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 17:10   #5

Thank you all so far. We are going the route of decommissioning and will sell parts as possible once I get them off and to the house.

The rationale is that the boat they are on is a departure from our long range cruising boats and is more limited on fuel vs water as it’s a bit of a sports fishing cruising boat….long story!

The Clark pump will be sans one piston housing and SS tube and the membrane of course is toast. More after disassembly is complete
Old 01-02-2023, 16:18   #6

Will post removals in classifieds