Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 11:46   #1

Spectra conversion to Procon feed pump experience

Attached are my notes which might be interesting to others with similar systems.

There is another current thread describing issues with watermakers sucking air, and in retrospect, this seems like a big advantage of the original spectra/shurflo style diaphragm pumps vs. all other styles including my new procon- that they can run dry indefinitely.

Maybe something good will come from the other thread, but for now, I try to make water on one tack if it's rough out, and to avoid sport-fisher wakes. I have a pressure alarm set up to hopefully avoid a repeat of the pump damage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WMpump3 Xeng procon.pdf (1.38 MB, 101 views)
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:19   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra conversion to Procon feed pump experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Attached are my notes which might be interesting to others with similar systems.

There is another current thread describing issues with watermakers sucking air, and in retrospect, this seems like a big advantage of the original spectra/shurflo style diaphragm pumps vs. all other styles including my new procon- that they can run dry indefinitely.

Maybe something good will come from the other thread, but for now, I try to make water on one tack if it's rough out, and to avoid sport-fisher wakes. I have a pressure alarm set up to hopefully avoid a repeat of the pump damage.
Nice work. I see a lot and I mean a LOT of shade tree mechanical work on these systems. I like what you have done. I'm not sure on that Procon pump and motor as I've never used or seen that particular one. But if you need any help, doesn't look like you need much, just ask. Here's a thought since you already have the older Shurflo pumps. I have seen others bolt one of those on the side of their feed pump module and plumb it in with a simple valving set up. If your Procon goes down it's a nice backup right there and ready to go. You already have the pumps so it's an easy addition. Just a thought.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 19:18   #3

Thanks! I like the idea for the extra pump(s) but space was limited and they were disposed of already. I want a bigger boat so I can hoard more extras.
Old 03-04-2023, 19:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Procon pump on my very old Livol WM has run for 10 years without an issue but I do have a 10 micron pre filter !
Old 06-04-2023, 07:49   #5

Hi Steve, interesting that you can draw water through the filter rather than push. Are your flow rates "As advertised" for the pump, and no cavitation issues?

Anyone know if the Spectra applications that use rotary vane pumps have pre-filters before or after the pump?
Old 09-04-2023, 08:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Hi Steve, interesting that you can draw water through the filter rather than push. Are your flow rates "As advertised" for the pump, and no cavitation issues?

Anyone know if the Spectra applications that use rotary vane pumps have pre-filters before or after the pump?
Its mounted below the water line so is the filter so it doesn't need priming !
Old 11-04-2023, 05:36   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:

The answer is "both". It depends on how old your system is. If you have clear pre-filter canisters then the filters are on the input side, if they are solid black or solid white they are on the output side.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, pump