Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 09:08   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Spectra Newport 400 - Blown Fuse #2?

Hello All,

Read the manuals carefully - no details on fuse #2, contacted original installer waiting reply, Google searched this forum, contacted Spectra and waiting for reply, now posting here:

Four days ago, I had fuse #2 blow on the control board of the Spectra 400 within 15 seconds of start-up after running w/o issue for the first 330 hours for the last 4 months.

I thought perhaps I started the water maker too quickly ( < 2 minutes) after starting the generator on low house batteries (11.8v). Replaced the fuse, installed brand new pre-filters, and started the water maker when the house batteries were at full 13.3v. Again fuse #2 blew immediately.

Then I checked the sea-strainer (quite dirty) as we are in Prickly Bay, Gernada and it is pretty green here. Replaced the fuse, started up and it blew immediately again.

Does anyone have experience with this fuse #2? Any ideas of my next steps?

I am worried about going 4 days now without a flush. What risks would I be taking running manually and then doing a flush?

Thank you in advance,
-Erik
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:48   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Newport 400 - Blown Fuse #2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitstrategy View Post
Hello All,

Read the manuals carefully - no details on fuse #2, contacted original installer waiting reply, Google searched this forum, contacted Spectra and waiting for reply, now posting here:

Four days ago, I had fuse #2 blow on the control board of the Spectra 400 within 15 seconds of start-up after running w/o issue for the first 330 hours for the last 4 months.

I thought perhaps I started the water maker too quickly ( < 2 minutes) after starting the generator on low house batteries (11.8v). Replaced the fuse, installed brand new pre-filters, and started the water maker when the house batteries were at full 13.3v. Again fuse #2 blew immediately.

Then I checked the sea-strainer (quite dirty) as we are in Prickly Bay, Gernada and it is pretty green here. Replaced the fuse, started up and it blew immediately again.

Does anyone have experience with this fuse #2? Any ideas of my next steps?

I am worried about going 4 days now without a flush. What risks would I be taking running manually and then doing a flush?

Thank you in advance,
-Erik

Fuse #2 is the line protection for your systems boost pump. You'll need to check the boost pump itself. Visually check to see if the pumps motor housing looks normal. Remove the boost pump itself from the bracket holding it in place. You can then unscrew the pump at the black fins and check to make sure there are no obstructions in the pump itself. Be careful when replacing the pump rotor as it sits on a small white ceramic ball. It is magnetically drawn in so hold the rotor carefully and place it back down on the ceramic ball as not to break the ball. With the pump still open start your system manually for 2-3 seconds. If the rotor spins freely re-assemble the pump. If the fuse burns again chances are good the boost pump is bad and needs to be replaced. Of course follow the boost pumps wiring to make sure there are no cuts or chafing anywhere on the line.
In a pinch, cut the two electrical leads to the boost pump (tape them off individually) and replace the 5amp fuse. It would also be preferable to bypass the boost pumps plumbing by removing from the boost pump both input and output lines and then splicing the input hose and output hose together. Your systems auto features (Run Auto" and "Auto Store") will run like this until you can get a new boost pump.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 20:38   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Spectra Newport 400 - Blown Fuse #2?

Thank you so much Tellie! So excited to have a specific direction.

Warm cheers,
-Erik
exitstrategy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport