Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2023, 20:33   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Spectra Re-Commission - pressure gauge zero

Today I started my Spectra watermaker for the first time in 18 years.

Before I did so, I had my Clark pump rebuilt by a certified Spectra facility in San Diego, and bought a new membrane - had the whole system test run at the shop, and then replaced several 3-way valves and tightened and inspected all the hose clamps.

My system was originally installed in 2000 and has NO electronics of any kind. A 12v ShurFlo feed pump and manual everything - I used this setup for 5 years back in the early 00s and I like the simplicity of it.

After flushing the system for 30 minutes I ran it pressurized for 30 minutes and it made very tasty fresh water which I tested with a salinity meter - I got about 225ppm which I understand to be perfectly fine, but not as good as some other reports I've heard in the 40s - 100s. Back in the day, I never used a meter, always just went by Tasebuds 1.0 as my yardstick.

Today's water tasted fabulous.

PROBLEM:
The pressure gauge and the GPH meter both read zero. No movement at all.

Since I cannot be certain the pressure accumulator is still intact on the insides since I did not disassemble it or even check the pressure - since the accumulator feeds into the pressure gauge, one possibility is the accumulator is bad. If this is the case, it doesn't seem to me that this should prevent me from running the system in the interim, before I replace/repair the accumulator.

The other possibility is the gauge itself is stuck from old age, or both.

I have not yet measured the output manually (ie. fill a 5 gallon bucket with a timer) to calculate GPH, since the meter isn't working, I have no way of knowing what kind of output quantity I am seeing.

I'm thinking the GPH meter is definitely stuck, having not been used for 18 years. Since the product water exits the pressure vessel and goes directly to the GPH meter, and from there to the Product Y-Valve, the product water must be going through it on the way to my galley sink where I have the product water hose with the Y Valve turned to route water into 1/4" tube. So I am 99% sure the GPH meter can just be replaced or even ignored for now.

Of course, I don't want to waste $200 for a new gauge or meter, or accumulator.

Hoping one of the resident Spectra experts can give me some pointers, things to check, possible solutions, diagnoses, etc. Sanity check my theories?

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	278924  
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 09:46   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Spectra Re-Commission - pressure gauge zero

Still interested in feedback on this question. Thanks.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:42   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I'm no expert, but we have a similar, older manual model Spectra Santa Cruz. It still works great (but is due for new feed pumps soon... I used up the last of the legacy rebuild kits this spring.)

Everything still works well- including the pressure guage and accumulator tank. (Pressurize accumulator tank to 65-70 PSIG if I recall correctly...)

Our flow meter will stick at zero on occasion. This usually happens when flow is very low at start-up. If tapping it doesn't help once the flow has increased, I give it a burst of pressure by partially closing the Brine Discharge Service Valve [less than 1 second; I can watch the pressure rise rapidly on the pressure guage.] When I re-open that valve, the rush of pressure frees the ball in the flow meter and it works as normal.

Our system is in use almost year around, so is flushed with fresh after every run- or every 5 days- whichever comes first.

If the above workaround doesn't work for you, I wonder if you need to remove the flow meter and give it a good soak in vinegar to remove any mineral deposits from sitting so long? [My speculation.]

In case this is helpful.

Cheers, Bill

PS: Tellie is the Spectra expert here on CF...
Old 01-08-2023, 12:38   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I agree with what wrwakefield said.

My Spectra 200 is only intermittently used in summer, and is about 25 years old.
It still makes water to spec with the original membrane.
I have never used pickling chemicals, just put it to sleep with a good product water flush. In the PNW, it's good for at least 6 months at a time.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote