Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2023, 08:48   #1

Spectra vane pump problem

I have a Newport 400 Spectra vane pump that has gone bad twice over 5 years, without much heavy use.
They are very expensive, latest about $1100 US dollars.
Is there any advice for increasing the life of this pump?
I took the latest pump apart, looks like the ceramic vanes are broken, and also the eccentric piece around the impeller is broken.
The vanes have small sst half pins holding the vanes in the center of the metal impeller. They have bent and broken, maybe leading to the catastrophic breaking.
There is a 50 micron pre- filter and a standard mushroom/straight thru hull.
Any advice would be gladly accepted.
sunfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 20:18   #2

Re: Spectra vane pump problem

These pumps are not usually short lived and problematic. So something in your system is almost certainly the issue. Your description of the problem leads to me making one suggestion: Do NOT run this pump dry!

It is not unusual that poor piping design leads to difficulty in keeping seawater pumps running fully flooded with water. They do not last long at all if they have to pump air.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:53   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

How is your boost pump doing? Sometimes I have seen this sensor disabled because it keeps tripping a false pre-filter alarm. Drop off your 20 micron prefilter canister, place a small pan or bucket under the open top, start your system in "Man run", and you should have a nice flow coming out from the top into your pan. If not, check your boost pump to make sure it is operating. The boost pumps sole intent is to give a positive flow of water to the input of your feed pump. If the boost pump does not work this can cause feed pump issues over time.

PS, You can do as you wish of course, but we carry the pumps in our shop for a lot less than What you are paying.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:19   #4

Thanks for y'all's replies, SailingHarmonie and Tellie.
This system was installed by the PO, before 2015. Probably around 2007, the boats year.
It doesn't have a lift pump. Most likely the problem.
What pump would y'all use/recommend? I suppose I could talk to Spectra too.
It's wierd the manual has nothing, or maybe I've missed it.
The vane pump is below the waterline, the filters may be at the water line.
Tellie, sounds like your in business, can I get a name of your company?
sunfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:28   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfishin View Post
Thanks for y'all's replies, SailingHarmonie and Tellie.
This system was installed by the PO, before 2015. Probably around 2007, the boats year.
It doesn't have a lift pump. Most likely the problem.
What pump would y'all use/recommend? I suppose I could talk to Spectra too.
It's wierd the manual has nothing, or maybe I've missed it.
The vane pump is below the waterline, the filters may be at the water line.
Tellie, sounds like your in business, can I get a name of your company?

Your system is an older NP400. It did not come with a boost pump originally; thus, the manual does not mention one. But I would highly suggest adding one. Also, on some of the older NewPort400s there is a line that comes out of the five Micron pre-filter and loops around to the side of the feed pump box to the plumbing manifold. If this line is 3/4" braided hose, then this is a potential issue as well. Let me know about this too. You could talk to Spectra if you'd like. Let them know you are talking to me and see what they say. I am in the Katadyn/Spectra watermaker business. I've been working with the Spectras for almost two decades. I promise, I'll get you up and running. You can try to call, but during the day I'm swamped with work and it's impossible to answer all the phone calls that come in. I also have an answering service that will take your information and message and give it to us. Emails are always best. Here is my contact information:

J.T. Halden (aka Tellie)
HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump