Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2024, 16:25   #1

Spectra water maker filters. Alternative to.

I'm new to watermakers. The new to me boat came with a Sepctra Newport MPC-5000. According to the PO the watermaker was pickled shortly after he purchased the boat about 4 yrs ago and has been laid up since.

I'm wanting to test run it but think it a good idea to change all the filters. I'm wondering if the Spectra specified filters are anything special. They appear to me to be garden variety water filters I could probably get at Home Deopt or such place.

Am I on the right track with this idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spectra filters.png
Views:	19
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	292472  
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 17:00   #2

Re: Spectra water maker filters. Alternative to.

I can only report that we have run a 200T for six years, making nearly every drop of water we drink, wash with, or bathe in and have not ever purchased a filter element from Spectra. YMMV, at your own risk, etc. If it has been pickled for four years then it is older than that, and warranty may be ended anyway.

FWIW, Spectra says:

Quote:
High quality 2.5”x10” pleated polyester filter cartridge to ensure the best possible protection of the high pressure pump and membranes.
And it is pretty trivial to locate a pleated polyester filter element in that size, "high quality" of course being the question.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 17:12   #3

Thank you. Headed to Home Deopt and Ace Hardware. I'm sure I'll find what I need.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2024, 12:18   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49

I bought a 200T two years ago, it sat in my garage for 6 months, then I installed it, then it sat at the dock for 6 months, then we went cruising for 1 year.

If you self-install, the warranty is only 1 year from date of purchase. We had problems 6 months into cruising (18 months from date of purchase) and they would not warranty it.

We only used genuine Spectra filters, and yet somehow there appears to have been filtration issues which has now resulted in 2 full rebuilds and 2 new membranes in less than 1 year.

We have not been able to figure out the cause. I think the filters do not fully seal in their housings, but Spectra has inspected my unit and insists that they do.

All that to say -- I don't think Spectra brand filters are anything special. But make darn sure your filters are working, otherwise it can become very expensive very quickly.
themorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2024, 10:53   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Have you worked with me at all on your system?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Spectra, water, water maker