Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 10:09   #16

Boat: Beneteau 445
Re: Spectra watermake membrane shelf life

Wow thanks a lot Tellie ! So you are the watermaker guru, I'm new to this forum and already impressed with how helpful people are. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale sometime in the fall so I'll probably pay you a visit. I'll probably install the unit and wait until I'm in FL to start using it now that I know the membrane is most probably OK. I paid 3.5k for the Ventura on Ebay.
Miguelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:10   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Tellie, question for you:

As I understand it Spectera warranty/support is for the life of the product to the original owner. How do you/Spectra handle support/warranty for the second owner of a "new" unit, like the OP's situation?

The life time warranty is for the Clark pump only and is unfortunately, at this time, only for the original purchaser of the watermaker. This warranty would not transfer to the OP. But if this unit was never used and even if he did have to replace the membrane he's going to get years of life out of it. I should have you in the July class teaching people how to care for their systems. You obviously have the right technique down.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:15   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelso View Post
Wow thanks a lot Tellie ! So you are the watermaker guru, I'm new to this forum and already impressed with how helpful people are. I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale sometime in the fall so I'll probably pay you a visit. I'll probably install the unit and wait until I'm in FL to start using it now that I know the membrane is most probably OK. I paid 3.5k for the Ventura on Ebay.

If the system has never been used you got a pretty good deal (I can't even buy one at that price) Feel free to give me a call anytime when you are installing the unit if you have any questions at all. If you are going to wait until you get down here to Ft. Lauderdale to start the unit for the first time give me a shout and I'll come out and help you through the initial start up.

(954) 515-7077
Old 26-02-2016, 18:05   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The life time warranty is for the Clark pump only and is unfortunately, at this time, only for the original purchaser of the watermaker. This warranty would not transfer to the OP. But if this unit was never used and even if he did have to replace the membrane he's going to get years of life out of it. I should have you in the July class teaching people how to care for their systems. You obviously have the right technique down.

(954) 515-7077
I would be interested in taking the "roving tech" (right name?) class, but not sure when I would do that, almost never make it back to the USA. But, I do have a few friends in the Ft Laud area...so maybe sometime.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 18:50   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I would be interested in taking the "roving tech" (right name?) class, but not sure when I would do that, almost never make it back to the USA. But, I do have a few friends in the Ft Laud area...so maybe sometime.

Class or no class whenever you're in town give me a shout.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
(954) 515-7077
Old 27-02-2016, 05:00   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Class or no class whenever you're in town give me a shout.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
(954) 515-7077
Definately.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:57   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Geesh, finally. Thanks Newhaul.

First the shelf life of a membrane is term used when a membrane is new and still sealed in it's plastic sleeve and not installed in a watermaker.

Usually I quote it will be good for a year or a little more as long as it is not opened or exposed to excessive heat, like the trunk of a car.

A membrane in a new Spectra has been tested then re-pickled at the factory before it is packed and shipped with Propylene Glycol and sent out.
This testing thing explains why it is good for a time in a Spectra machine on the shelf.

But why would a non-used membrane be kaput in just over a year?

I would assume if it is new and dry then it should (???) last 'indefinitely'?

What kills a dry, clean membrane? How does it fail?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:33   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
This testing thing explains why it is good for a time in a Spectra machine on the shelf.

But why would a non-used membrane be kaput in just over a year?

I would assume if it is new and dry then it should (???) last 'indefinitely'?

What kills a dry, clean membrane? How does it fail?

b.
Good question. It's the "dry" part. Membranes must be kept moist throughout the entire surface once they are manufactured. That's why they are shipped in double sealed bags. The dual bags they are shipped in allow for too much air space within the bag. The loose air space in the bags will accelerate the drying out process. The liquid storage compound used to protect and ship a membrane will also settle down to the lower parts of the membrane depending on the position it is stored in leaving the upper part to dry out. Also, it only takes a very, very, small area of the membrane, less than 1% to dry out to ruin the usefulness of a salt water membrane. Once placed inside a watermakers membrane vessel it is in a much tighter confined space, and better sealed, and the membrane is usually completely enveloped in liquid, either water or pickling agent which prevents any drying of the membrane surface. Even in a watermaker left unused for long periods of time the membrane has a certain life expectancy whether it is used or not. But it will certainly last a lot longer in a properly pickled membrane vessel than in the shipping bags it originally comes in.

Old 28-02-2016, 07:45   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Good question. It's the "dry" part. Membranes must be kept moist throughout the entire surface once they are manufactured. That's why they are shipped in double sealed bags. The dual bags they are shipped in allow for too much air space within the bag. The loose air space in the bags will accelerate the drying out process. The liquid storage compound used to protect and ship a membrane will also settle down to the lower parts of the membrane depending on the position it is stored in leaving the upper part to dry out. Also, it only takes a very, very, small area of the membrane, less than 1% to dry out to ruin the usefulness of a salt water membrane. Once placed inside a watermakers membrane vessel it is in a much tighter confined space, and better sealed, and the membrane is usually completely enveloped in liquid, either water or pickling agent which prevents any drying of the membrane surface. Even in a watermaker left unused for long periods of time the membrane has a certain life expectancy whether it is used or not. But it will certainly last a lot longer in a properly pickled membrane vessel than in the shipping bags it originally comes in.

THX for this post. Most informative!

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water