Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2024, 08:45   #1

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 48
Spectra Watermaker Issues

We have a ~2 year old Spectra Newport 400c Compact unit. I ended up self-installing it due to time constraints when we ordered it (and no certified people nearby). As such, I didn't have any calibration equipment or anything.

It's largely worked very well the last 2 years, but this summer, suddenly our PPM started rising. It used to be PPM was around 100, +/- 50, but it went to 200, then 300, and now it's around 500-600, and the watermaker spends the first 20 mins or so bouncing off being above 700 and shutting off the supply.

I bought a TDS meter off amazon and installed it inline, and its numbers agree exactly with what the watermaker is putting out. So the sensors are correct, I assume.

We picked it over the winter in Baltimore, using their storage compound, and we've had the zIon unit auto freshwater flushing it every month since we installed the unit in the first place.

The flow has always been a little low too -- it's supposed to be 17 gal/hr, but the screen always reads more like 13.5, and from how fast the tank fills, in reality I think it's more like 12ish.

I was hoping to get service done on it near New Bedford, but the company here is being useless and now is saying they don't have time on the dates we came here for, so I'm back to DIY-land.

I've bought two new (DOW) membranes for it. Based on high TDS, the only real possibility is that the membranes are dead, right? Or some other leak inside the clark pump?

Between the lower flow and the high TDS, is there other stuff I should be checking too, or just throw in the membranes and see how it goes from there?

For changing the membranes, do I need new orings for anything as well? I haven't pulled the membranes out of their shrinkwrap, but I'm not sure if it came with orings or not.
Old 10-07-2024, 10:54   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Spectra Watermaker Issues

On my older Spectra Santa Cruz, the membranes are now 14 years old and counting. [Never pickled; freshwater back-flushed every 5 days if not used.] Therefore, unless yours were exposed to chlorine or oil, or otherwise mistreated, I would look elsewhere.

One common issue which ehibits the symptoms you mentioned is decreasing in-feed pump pressure over time. [After checking the two in-feed filters for adequate flow, I recently replaced the head on one of my 2 ShurFlo in-feed pumps to rectify the same issues you describe.]

Of course, there can be other contributing factors as well.

I have always benefitted from the Spectra Troubleshooting Guide.

Here is a link to the guide I keep on my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15yk...w?usp=drivesdk.

And one I found online: https://www.keoghsmarine.com.au/imag...ng%20Guide.pdf

In case any of this is helpful.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-07-2024, 10:58   #3

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 48

The inlet pressure is usually around 100-110psi, right on the edge of it being in the red (sometimes it's in the red). From that I was assuming that the membrane is just having trouble letting stuff pass through it.

I'm wondering if I didn't pickle it well enough, or if it froze through the pickling over last winter, or something like that. Cuz it was working great last season (lower flow aside), then on first usage this season after cleaning up the pickling, it was already much worse.
Old 10-07-2024, 13:32   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

the only reason a wm starts lower quality water is a membrane issue or a leaking seal between the seawater/brine ad the product water

yes there are differences in water temperature etc but here the OP is says a 3x increase

bet there are 100s of threads here about
Old 12-07-2024, 02:11   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Membrane efficiency depend on inlet water temperature. Membranes are calculated at 77°F. Warmer water more fresh water. Colder water less.
In Alaska my 40 gph system puts out 1/2 the rating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Membrane Output temp factor.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	291981  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Spectra, water, watermaker