Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 07:59   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Watermaker Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Thank you for all your inputs. Please see here for photo & video:
https://www.dropbox.com/l/kzn5LRg2G3VN3HRRoKCH1a

Excellent video myocean. I wish all my customers would do that. Unfortunately it is not the check valve O-ring that is leaking. Your cylinder has broken free from it's base. There is no fix, the composite cylinder assembly has to be replaced. The composite cylinder part number you need is HP-CYL-CCA. I would also go ahead and order the four check valve O-rings and replace all four of them since you will be at the point of having the Clark pump disassembled that far anyway. Though this is not a difficult task the first time doing it can be a bit intimidating, so again, feel free to PM me if you want my number to discuss this.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 13:55   #17

Here the end of the story: Spectra sent a spare part as part of the warranty service. I got a new assembly of cylinder with J-tube. I have uninstalled the clark pump from the system and have taken off the old cylinder, replaced it with the new one. Inclunding re-assembly the job took about 2 hours and was rather simple. I am not a mechanic.
The system works now again very well. Great!
The old composite cylinder shows a clear crack which can be seen on the inside. See picture! It seems that the transition from the round cylinder shape the the rectangular block has somehow been problematic. The new part looks like it has been produced somehow in a different way. Let's assume it is more reliable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9402.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	64880  
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 14:19   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Did you take my advice and replace the other two check valve O-rings as well?
Old 30-07-2013, 21:27   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It looks like a stress crack. Any signs or marks showing that it might have been dropped.
Old 31-07-2013, 00:22   #20
cruiser

Our Spectra Clark pump began to leak profusely at the beginning of the summer. Had a Spectra guy in the Med try to fix it. He rebuild the pump saying it will cost less than if I sent it back to the company, gave me a bill for 1800 euros and the pump still leaks. Didn't pay the bill obviously, so now the pump is going to be sent back to Spectra in California for an official company rebuild which costs only $425 USD and will be returned with a factory warranty.

The guy in the Med created a crack in the lower block when he tried to re-tap the block in order to fit a larger fitting.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:16   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our Spectra Clark pump began to leak profusely at the beginning of the summer. Had a Spectra guy in the Med try to fix it. He rebuild the pump saying it will cost less than if I sent it back to the company, gave me a bill for 1800 euros and the pump still leaks. Didn't pay the bill obviously, so now the pump is going to be sent back to Spectra in California for an official company rebuild which costs only $425 USD and will be returned with a factory warranty.

The guy in the Med created a crack in the lower block when he tried to re-tap the block in order to fit a larger fitting.

Not trying to either be a smartass or drum up business. But in general, this is why I wish you guys would ask me first. Though all my other years of worldly boating advice is worth the price you pay for it. A free question for a free answer would have paid off in spades of not going through the un-needed aggravation many go through. I could have saved you a ton of aggravation on this one. If you have any future questions about your Spectra just ask me my advice, it's free, honest.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:53   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Did an exchange on my Clarkson pump recently. This works out well because they take a deposit, send you a factory refurb unit, then you send the old one back, and they refund the difference. Minimal down time and a net cost of about $425.

Like you, the only time I have had service problems relalted to Spectra is when I let some dipstick get in the middle. In my case it was a rep in Marathon FL who ripped me off for $500 and I ended completing the work myself.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:44   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Like you, the only time I have had service problems relalted to Spectra is when I let some dipstick get in the middle. In my case it was a rep in Marathon FL who ripped me off for $500 and I ended completing the work myself.
...and just so there is no confusion this rep was NOT Tellie.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker