Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 16:25   #16

Re: Spectra Watermaker not used for 2 years

In similar situation. I spoke with JT at Halden Marine, (954 515-7077) yesterday. He gave me the steps to flush the system and said to call back when done and he'd help with the startup. A helpful guy.
Jtcorrigan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 17:57   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
Though I don't see any of the discussion, I do have some helpful information.

We stored our Spectra watermaker using propylene glycol. This was mainly because we would be away for 7 months and Spectra only recommends use of biocide storage for 6 months. As it turns out the boat and watermaker were stored for more than 2 years after hurricane Irma.

We followed the procedure for purging propylene glycol from the watermaker. The unit ran flawlessly always producing great water.
^^ This. Follow the normal recommissioning process then fire it up and see what happens. This consists of flushing the unit well while depressurized, closing the pressure release valve, and then running it as normal.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:45   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

Same scenario happened to my Spectra Santa Cruz. It sat for 2 years with glycol for pickling. I did the recommended flush and it tasted awful. Call Spectra and they told me to keep flushing. Finally after about 5-6 hours it started tasting good enough to put into the tank. Worked fine after that.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 13:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtcorrigan3 View Post
In similar situation. I spoke with JT at Halden Marine, (954 515-7077) yesterday. He gave me the steps to flush the system and said to call back when done and he'd help with the startup. A helpful guy.
As it turns out I still haven't been able to purge and re-pickle. Yesterday we were in good quality sea water,
- unpressurized the system
- thru hull open
- Service valve down in run position
- installed the 5 micron and charcoal filters and raw water strainer
- tried flush valve in both positions
- primed both filter containers with water.

But water would not move thru the system.

I've read through the manual countless times and don't know if I'm doing something wrong or there's a system problem. Now at a slip in a marina and wonder about doing it again in cloudy water.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2019, 14:22   #20
cruiser

Disconnect the low pressure pump outlet hose to confirm they are actually moving water. Water should pass all the way through the system unpressurized if the electric pump is working. We’ve experienced several low pressure pump failures over the years. The pump will sound like it’s working, but not move any water.

I’ll start up our two Spectra watermakers tomorrow after a two year hiatus, and don’t expect any issues.

Poor or cloudy marina water won’t effect the system, it will only dirty the pre-filter which can be cleaned and reused multiple times.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Disconnect the low pressure pump outlet hose to confirm they are actually moving water. Water should pass all the way through the system unpressurized if the electric pump is working. We’ve experienced several low pressure pump failures over the years. The pump will sound like it’s working, but not move any water.

I’ll start up our two Spectra watermakers tomorrow after a two year hiatus, and don’t expect any issues.

Poor or cloudy marina water won’t effect the system, it will only dirty the pre-filter which can be cleaned and reused multiple times.
Thanks Kenomac, I did disconnect and there was no water flow. That changed when I turned the service valve, and the water flow seemed the strongest with the valve in a halfway position. Anyway water flowed thru the system and was discharged. Will do about 20 minutes each and will pickle. Any further suggestions please send.
How did your start up go?
Old 03-06-2019, 17:56   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
As it turns out I still haven't been able to purge and re-pickle. Yesterday we were in good quality sea water,
- unpressurized the system
- thru hull open
- Service valve down in run position
- installed the 5 micron and charcoal filters and raw water strainer
- tried flush valve in both positions
- primed both filter containers with water.

But water would not move thru the system.

I've read through the manual countless times and don't know if I'm doing something wrong or there's a system problem. Now at a slip in a marina and wonder about doing it again in cloudy water.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Ring Spectra......
Old 04-06-2019, 06:53   #23

Have rung them, waiting to hear back.
Questions;
I want to take a pickled system and re-pickle. Is there a need to purge or fresh water flush first, or just circulate new SC-1 solution?
And use distilled water w/o chlorine for a flush rather than product water?
Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:42   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Kenomac, I did disconnect and there was no water flow. That changed when I turned the service valve, and the water flow seemed the strongest with the valve in a halfway position. Anyway water flowed thru the system and was discharged. Will do about 20 minutes each and will pickle. Any further suggestions please send.
How did your start up go?
My start up went terrible, I have the same problem as you with one of the systems. My patience with the crappy Shurflo pumps they use has finally run out. I had two bad ones right out of the box last season, and now the insides of a two year old pump (used only for four months) has decomposed and fallen apart.. so now I need to order even more spare parts in addition to around $1000 worth that I already have onboard for just the Spectra 380c systems, and have my wife bring it to Greece from America on her next trip.

We wasted four hours trying to get this POS working today, and now I need to waste more time re-pickling the unit... so that I can watch it do absolutely nothing over the next five weeks.

Tellie, Is there an alternate low pressure pump we can use? This makes three bad ones in a row. Is there something else I should be worried about with my new Newport MK2 unit? I count on these things to work as described and not have breakdowns every season to deal with.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:06   #25
cruiser

These are the bits inside the Shurfo pumps that disintegrated rendering the system inoperable... about 1 cent worth of plastic.

I expect more from a $500 pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50717509-6CCD-47ED-B4C4-A24FC63B1228.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	193224   Click image for larger version

Name:	80D54EC1-8398-44A3-B2A3-8209A8F41482.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	193225  

Click image for larger version

Name:	56E1C7EF-839F-4163-83AA-976A9C66E83B.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	193226  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:37   #26

That is disappointing. Hope you have access to water.

Thanks Lordgeoff, called Spectra @ 415 526 2780 - Ben was a big help. I am pickled!
Old 04-06-2019, 10:32   #27
cruiser

We have two Spectra 380c systems installed on the 53, the primary unit is presently working, but the secondary has two broken low pressure Shurflo water pumps. The entire secondary unit is only three years old since a complete overhaul and installation with only two months of continuous use.

I own five Shurflo pumps, two are boxed up replacement pumps provided by Spectra (at no cost under warranty) which are sitting at home in America, one newly broken pump and two presently operational.

Yes... very disappointing.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:09   #28
cruiser

I just got word that my wife will arrive tomorrow from America with the two Shurflo warranty replacement pumps that we had at home for our secondary Spectra system. There’s now light at the end of the tunnel, but I’m still very annoyed by the problems we’re encountering with these pumps. Why does Spectra use these unreliable pumps in a system that is otherwise, very good and energy efficient?
Old 06-06-2019, 20:58   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just got word that my wife will arrive tomorrow from America with the two Shurflo warranty replacement pumps that we had at home for our secondary Spectra system. There’s now light at the end of the tunnel, but I’m still very annoyed by the problems we’re encountering with these pumps. Why does Spectra use these unreliable pumps in a system that is otherwise, very good and energy efficient?
Are the degrading seals you showed from being pickled? What type of pickling did you use and for how long?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 00:00   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are the degrading seals you showed from being pickled? What type of pickling did you use and for how long?
Good question. I used the pickling solution that was sold to me by Spectra specifically for their system, with the Spectra label on it. I was thinking the same thing.

The new replacement pumps arrived last night, hopefully, I’ll get this thing running in a few hours.

Tags
water, watermaker