Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2020, 15:04   #1

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Spectra Watermaker problem has me stumped

I have an older Spectra Santa Cruz model that was professionally reconditioned for our refit 2 years ago (new membrane and pumps, rebuilt Clark, etc).

Since then, it's been a PIA and I've had it apart numerous times to replace pump heads, fix leaks, etc.

Now I can't get the pickling/cleaning procedure to work. It won't suck anything from the solution bucket. It worked before. I've checked all the valves, etc. and can't find anything wrong. I tried priming the intake line, work-arounds such as bypassing the service valve and no joy. No leaks, good pressure. Any ideas?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 17:34   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Spectra Watermaker problem has me stumped

Open the pressure valve on the Clark Pump to let it prime? I have had similar issues and this has usually worked for me. Last time I disassembled the feed pump to no avail before I remembered the pressure valve, Dooh.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 09:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Open the pressure valve on the Clark Pump to let it prime? I have had similar issues and this has usually worked for me. Last time I disassembled the feed pump to no avail before I remembered the pressure valve, Dooh.
Yep, did that, which is clearly mentioned in the owner's manual as part of the procedure which I have read a million times trying to spot what I'm missing!
Old 24-04-2020, 17:25   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

The Santa Cruz model of Spectra watermaker is as you know one of Spectras first watermakers models. Back in the day Spectra thought it a good idea to make an all in one contained watermaker in basically a box. It is the fore runner of the very successful and very modular Cape Horn Extreme unit. It is most likely that if your two feed pumps running at the same time cannot draw the pickling solution that after two years of use they are a bit tired and just can't create enough vacuum to draw the solution up through the intake service. Some times on these older systems they can also lose their prime and they can get air locked. One trick is to hold the bucket of pickling solution just above the level of the intake service port your pickling hose is attached to. This way there's a bit of gravity feed as well and with both pumps running it should start the intake and flow. Of course this is always done with the pressure relief valve on the Clark pump open about 3/4 to 1 full turn. If this does not solve your problem let me know and we can go from there. I've worked on more Santa Cruz units than most. It was the very first Spectra unit I ever worked on. I used to be known in my earlier days as the Santa Cruz King because no one else really wanted to work on them because they are certainly a pain to work on with that un-gangling front cover. You have the basics of a Cape horn Extreme. If you ever wanted to re arrange it and get rid of that white box it is all in I could help you with that as well. They're much more enjoyable when you can easily get to all the parts.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 11:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The Santa Cruz model of Spectra watermaker is as you know one of Spectras first watermakers models. Back in the day Spectra thought it a good idea to make an all in one contained watermaker in basically a box. It is the fore runner of the very successful and very modular Cape Horn Extreme unit. It is most likely that if your two feed pumps running at the same time cannot draw the pickling solution that after two years of use they are a bit tired and just can't create enough vacuum to draw the solution up through the intake service. Some times on these older systems they can also lose their prime and they can get air locked. One trick is to hold the bucket of pickling solution just above the level of the intake service port your pickling hose is attached to. This way there's a bit of gravity feed as well and with both pumps running it should start the intake and flow. Of course this is always done with the pressure relief valve on the Clark pump open about 3/4 to 1 full turn. If this does not solve your problem let me know and we can go from there. I've worked on more Santa Cruz units than most. It was the very first Spectra unit I ever worked on. I used to be known in my earlier days as the Santa Cruz King because no one else really wanted to work on them because they are certainly a pain to work on with that un-gangling front cover. You have the basics of a Cape horn Extreme. If you ever wanted to re arrange it and get rid of that white box it is all in I could help you with that as well. They're much more enjoyable when you can easily get to all the parts.
Thank you Tellie, you certainly appear to be the most qualified guy on the planet to help with my Spectra Santa Cruz!

I don't have enough room in the engine room to put the bucket above the service port, so my work around was to use a turkey baster to fill the intake hose to prime it. Didn't work, and putting my finger over the hose (as I've done before to test successfully) there was zero suction happening.

Given that all components are new, there are no leaks, and the unit works fine to produce water, any other ideas?

Regarding the Cape Horn Extreme, is there a way to re-purpose my new pumps, membrane and rebuilt Clark pump or would I need to buy the whole kit and caboodle.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 13-10-2023, 22:48   #6

Hi Grace. I have the same problem. Have followed your thread. Did you resolve the issue of the Santa Cruz intake service tube not taking up the product from the bucket?
The Secretary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2023, 08:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Secretary View Post
Hi Grace. I have the same problem. Have followed your thread. Did you resolve the issue of the Santa Cruz intake service tube not taking up the product from the bucket?
Nah, I gave up and with 200 gallons of tankage we go to a dock every 4-6 weeks or so to fill up, much easier than fiddling with the watermaker and we can go longer on our battery capacity before running the genset.

I have my eye out for the next generation of watermakers that can desalinate without filters and minimal power. Here's an example and below is a BARD AI response on the subject. I'd rather wait a year or two rather than deal with my existing setup.

From Google's Bard AI-

There are a number of new desalination technologies under development, all of which aim to make desalination more efficient, affordable, and sustainable. Some of the most promising new desalination technologies include:
  • Capacitive deionization (CDI): CDI is a technology that uses electric currents to attract and repel salt ions, removing them from water. CDI is still under development, but it has the potential to be much more energy-efficient than traditional desalination technologies.
  • Battery electrode deionization (BDI): BDI is a variation of CDI that uses batteries to store energy generated during the desalination process. This allows BDI plants to operate using renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power.
  • Fluorine-based nanostructures: Researchers have recently developed fluorine-based nanostructures that can be used to filter salt from water much faster and more efficiently than traditional desalination membranes. This technology is still in its early stages of development, but it has the potential to revolutionize the desalination industry.
  • Self-cleaning membranes: One of the major challenges of traditional desalination membranes is that they can become fouled by salt and other minerals over time. This reduces their efficiency and requires frequent cleaning. Researchers are developing new self-cleaning membranes that can overcome this challenge.
In addition to these new technologies, there are a number of other ways to improve the efficiency and sustainability of desalination plants. For example, desalination plants can be powered by renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power. They can also be integrated with wastewater treatment plants to recycle wastewater and produce fresh water.
As desalination technology continues to improve, it is becoming more and more affordable and sustainable. This is making desalination a viable option for meeting the growing global demand for fresh water.
Old 17-10-2023, 16:10   #8

Hi Grace - Desmond here @ Hydromundo, S.A. Watermaker Store - sounds your feed pumps on your Spectra are worn. Have you checked the O-Ring on your sea strainer, to insure air is not getting into the sucction? Are the pumps strong enough to draw sea water via the thru hull and make water? If so, they should also be strong enough to draw picking solution (Sodium Metabisulfite) from a bucket, if their is no air in the pick-up.

As your only picking the membrane (the solution eats the seals in the Clark Pump and is not good for it, by-passing it is perfered). If you can access your membrane pressure vessel, get a small funnel and fill the membrane with mixed picking solution at one end metal hi pressure fitting with the hose removed. Does not matter which end of the membrane you fill from, Inlet or Outlet. The Hi pressure hose must be removed on the opposite pressure vessel end to let air escape. If the fittings are not in the horozontial, loosen the big collar nut (CCW when viewing from end) a tweek and rotate the center plastic end plug. You may also be able to syphon with a few feet of hose and an elevated bucket with a few feet 3/4" Flexable Hose and a band clamp around where the threads are on the Hi Pressure Metal fitting. It only takes a few minutes and 1.3 Gallons(aprox) of mixed pickling solution to fill the pressure vessel. Gravity Feed will work. Fill till all air is out the opposite fitting on the pressure vessel. After filling, you can also use a 2nd band clamp and connect both end of a piece of 3/4" Flexable hose that is 50"+ long to both pressue vessel fitting ends in a closed loop after filling one end with static head of picking solution & leaving the Clark pump Hi pressure hoses off till ready to go back to work. This insures membrane stays 100% saturated for the 9 months max you can pickle.
Hope this helps,
Best, Desmond
Hydromundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 08:59   #9

Thanks much Desmond, I wish I had this info a long time ago! I ended up stopping use of the Spectra watermaker and have been filling up at marinas (200 gallon capacity keeps us going for 4-6 weeks easily as full time cruisers). By now, some years later, the membrane would need replacement to use again and I'm holding out for a better solution than struggling with this unit again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydromundo View Post
Hi Grace - Desmond here @ Hydromundo, S.A. Watermaker Store - sounds your feed pumps on your Spectra are worn. Have you checked the O-Ring on your sea strainer, to insure air is not getting into the sucction? Are the pumps strong enough to draw sea water via the thru hull and make water? If so, they should also be strong enough to draw picking solution (Sodium Metabisulfite) from a bucket, if their is no air in the pick-up.

As your only picking the membrane (the solution eats the seals in the Clark Pump and is not good for it, by-passing it is perfered). If you can access your membrane pressure vessel, get a small funnel and fill the membrane with mixed picking solution at one end metal hi pressure fitting with the hose removed. Does not matter which end of the membrane you fill from, Inlet or Outlet. The Hi pressure hose must be removed on the opposite pressure vessel end to let air escape. If the fittings are not in the horozontial, loosen the big collar nut (CCW when viewing from end) a tweek and rotate the center plastic end plug. You may also be able to syphon with a few feet of hose and an elevated bucket with a few feet 3/4" Flexable Hose and a band clamp around where the threads are on the Hi Pressure Metal fitting. It only takes a few minutes and 1.3 Gallons(aprox) of mixed pickling solution to fill the pressure vessel. Gravity Feed will work. Fill till all air is out the opposite fitting on the pressure vessel. After filling, you can also use a 2nd band clamp and connect both end of a piece of 3/4" Flexable hose that is 50"+ long to both pressue vessel fitting ends in a closed loop after filling one end with static head of picking solution & leaving the Clark pump Hi pressure hoses off till ready to go back to work. This insures membrane stays 100% saturated for the 9 months max you can pickle.
Hope this helps,
Best, Desmond
Old 18-10-2023, 12:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydromundo View Post

Hope this helps,
Best, Desmond
SV Grace - Sorry, I been off the Cruiser Forms since the pandemic stopped so many boats
& their watermakers! I"ve just restarted where we left off Post Covid.

Salvage your Presure Vessel and filter housings, you can get a Piston Hi
Pressure Pump / Motor, Hydralic Lines, Feed Pump, Back Pressure
Regulator, Guage, new membrane and a Motor Contactor - Starter with an
ON/OFF switch and redue a watermaker at no frills - low cost.

We sell and ship all the componets worldwide. Here to help. May the Winds be in your Sails!

Desmond @ Hydromundo, S.A.
Hydromundo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker