Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 15:43   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Hmmm.

With my Spectra tester I just sampled my house tap water (community wells) and got 157 ppm. Our supply is non chlorinated, and easily meets health specs using an ozonator.

BTW, my watermaker is a Spectra 180 which produces to spec. I've never yet needed to use any chemicals. I just periodically run it and backflush with product water when it's not going to used for awhile.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 02:34   #17

Spectra says it is OK to use plumbers antifreeze for storage up to one year. I know a boater who has saved and reused the same antifreeze for Florida summer storage for the past 4 years.
snowgoose200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 07:50   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Do not use other watermaker manufacturers powdered pickling solution in your Spectra watermaker. You will destroy the Clark pump and void the warranty. It will be very obvious to Spectra that you have done so. The SC-1 pickling solution does cost more than others but it is manufactured for Spectras Clark pumps. SC-1 is $25, a new Clark pump is about 150 times that. Spectras SC-1 will store your unit for up to six months. Propylene Glycol -100 ( RV&Marine antifreeze) can be used and will store your Spectra for up to a year. You have a large investment in a Spectra watermaker. Pickling solution is not where you want to cut corners or experiment. If anyone has any questions about their Spectra I too can be PMed. Not trying to make this commercial as per board rules, but as I said, watermakers are a big investment and require a higher degree of maintenance than many other boat systems. The largest part of my work comes from owners that do not understand or practice a few basic maintenance procedures. My advice is always free to CF members.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 08:42   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
. Propylene Glycol -100 ( RV&Marine antifreeze) can be used and will store your Spectra for up to a year.
Were to buy in Florida and which brand?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 10:26   #20

Boat: Buizen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Hi Gord

Spectra claim that any chemical other than their proprietory ones will damage interior components of their Clarke Pump. The cost of is material is totally out of proportion to competive cleaning products, as you correctly point out, and could well make a potential purchaser of the Spectra System select an alternative brand.
Rod
Thanks for this post Rod, as a result my new water-maker will not be a Spectra. Here in NZ, a highly regarded, back to the basics ... and most important ... affordable watermaker is available from OpenOcean (located in Opua, BOI): www.openoceanwatermakers.co.nz
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 13:18   #21

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The stuff you find at Wal-Mart and Camping World is just fine.
Old 23-04-2009, 13:54   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:

It's kinda tough to find in Florida as we don't have freezing concerns especially in the south. Further up in Yankee territory it's common to be found as Mark says in Wal-Mart and such.
Old 23-04-2009, 14:05   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Thanks for this post Rod, as a result my new water-maker will not be a Spectra. Here in NZ, a highly regarded, back to the basics ... and most important ... affordable watermaker is available from OpenOcean (located in Opua, BOI): www.openoceanwatermakers.co.nz

Simple made watermakers are not new. If energy is not an issue good luck with the high pressure pump models. If you look out of your cockpit and there are solar panels and a wind generator tied to a limited amout of amps in your battery bank these energy hogs will lose their appeal faster than a $25 jar of pickling solution. I have a garage full of old basic and home built parts for watermakers people chucked. Check out Ebay, Craigs list etc. and enter watermakers. There are plenty of used ones and new ones for sale. I challenge you to find a Spectra among them. They do pop up occasionally, but there's a good reason used Spectras are hard to find and if they do pop up, even the old tired ones go for a premium.
Old 23-04-2009, 14:11   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
The stuff you find at Wal-Mart and Camping World is just fine.
OK,
I'll look again.
Old 23-04-2009, 14:14   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
OK,
I'll look again.

Remember, this is very important....Propylene Glycol -100
Not car antifreeze!
Old 23-04-2009, 15:07   #26

Boat: Buizen 48
Hey Tellie, did you look at OpenOcean's web site?

I used a 'figure of speech' to describe their water-makers. They are anything but a "garage-constructed" system.....

In fact, given the weakness of the NZ$ (note I did not say the strength of the US$ ) someone could ship a system to the US for peanuts (well... maybe a jar of peanuts )
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 15:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Remember, this is very important....Propylene Glycol -100
Not car antifreeze!
Right.

I have not seen any.

I guess I will have to go to a camping place.

Then I will have to learn how to do it with the maybe, possibly, new to me Spectra.

Want to come over and do a check out for me?

I will have Budwizer on board.
Old 23-04-2009, 22:04   #28

Boat: islandpacket
Also dont use vodka or other booze to store your watermaker. The etoh can make some of the internal parts soft and gummy.
Old 24-04-2009, 04:38   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
Hey Tellie, did you look at OpenOcean's web site?

I used a 'figure of speech' to describe their water-makers. They are anything but a "garage-constructed" system.....

In fact, given the weakness of the NZ$ (note I did not say the strength of the US$ ) someone could ship a system to the US for peanuts (well... maybe a jar of peanuts )
Roasted, boiled or goobers?

I did look at their site. I didn't mean to suggest they were garage built. I meant that the energy difference to run them is similar to most other brands of watermakers. On some boats energy is not an issue. But on sailboats in particular the energy to run one becomes an issue and the cost of the unit to energy cost savings becomes very important and making a decision on price is not always the best approach. You may save some money up front, but the extra required energy reproducing capabilities of your boat may far out cost that savings.
Old 24-04-2009, 04:47   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Right.

I have not seen any.

I guess I will have to go to a camping place.

Then I will have to learn how to do it with the maybe, possibly, new to me Spectra.

Want to come over and do a check out for me?

I will have Budwizer on board.
Sure, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you. I see you're on the west side. I could use a trip cross gator alley as I have buisness to take care of over there anyway. Of course, if you were sailing over to this side I'd buy the beer. Let me know what unit you have or PM me and we'll exchange info and I'll get you through it. If you can't find the PropyleneGlycol locally, which is hard in Florida, I'll bring enough to pickle your unit.