Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 16:56   #16

Re: Splendide Washer/Dryer Combo Unit

We have one and find it useful on long trips. We probably put about half a normal load in. It washes very well. If you dry a full load the clothes come out wrinkled beyond belief. We wash and the divide the load in half for drying and are pleased with the results. I will admit if a marina has washer/dryers we do take advantage of them
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:43   #17

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Thanks to all! A great load of information spun out into this thread (awful pun intended). Seriously, that helps a lot. We really appreciate it.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:25   #18

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

TIP...
Take the clothes out after wash and shake out before putting in to dry. If you don't they have a tendency to stick to the side of the drum and not fluff out enough to get dried.
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:49   #19

If you are going to use the dryer, be sure to get the vented model and try to have the shortest and straightest run possible for the vent hose.

We also find that the "Express" setting is MUCH quicker and uses less water. It appears to wash just as well as the regular cycle (clothes don't get all that dirty on a boat).

Also, it requires only a small amount of detergent otherwise the suds become too much.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:21   #20

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Splendide Washer/Dryer Combo Unit

We installed one on our 42’ Lagoon (Owner’s version head). Not the easiest thing to do, but we managed, with the help of a tall, skinny and buff friend (thanks Terry!).

We don’t use the drier much, I installed about 17’ of easily removable washline in the sbd forward cabin workshop / storage area / and now clothesline.

Rather than install a vent through the deck, we ran the vent into a forward locker. On the very rare occasion we use the dryer, we open the hatch.

The drier function is not the same as your home dryer. SWMBO learned that a recommended way to use it, and limit wrinkling is to fold the clothes half-way through. Go figure. It works, apparently.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 17:09   #21

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

I have a Splendide non-vented washer/dryer on my AT34.
I put in one queen size fitted sheet, one queen size flat sheet and 5 pillow cases. I thought I broke it because they were not dry. After about 5 months I tried the dryer feature again.... works fine. BIG SMILE. BUT, I dont over load it with one queen size fitted sheet, on queen size flat sheet and 5 pillow cases. I can always find more whites or a few color fast items to make up another load.
EVERYTHING comes out wrinkled which pretty much describes on 75 year old body and my life style.
I wash 2 bath towels and a hand towel together. Even on max dry, I have to hang them for about 5- 10 minutes.

I had a vented Splendide on my Nordhavan46. The down side to that was, the vent hose went up and and a 90 degree turn to the to overboard vent. One has to remember to clean vent out of the hose and that means pulling the washer/dryer out. If you overlook this cleaning, you do eventually have a fire hazard. I was VERY surprise of the amount of lint that had accumulated. Oh, and everything came out wrinkled too.

I do not use bleach nor any fabric softener.
Old 03-07-2018, 00:02   #22

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

One pair of blue jeans and a few light items like t-shirts. Too much stuff and it doesn't clean well. But with the right sized load, cleans better than most other washers. Even a single pair of bluejeans comes out wet. Either the air isn't hot enough or the sensor (if any) that determines dryness allows too short of time. Not like a normal house sized dryer. I started with a washer/dryer, each the size of the Splendide. I replaced the washer and kept the dryer, so don't always use the built in vented dryer. Although the separate (European) dryer has the same drying problem. Bluejeans take 2 cycles and still are damp.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:53   #23

I just installed the Splendide 7100 (ventless combo) in the 47' Leopard Power Cat. As you can see from the messy picture, I put it in a closet in the owner's suite head. I don't yet have enough personal experience with it to comment on load sizes, but I did pull a page from the owner's manual that gave examples of the small load sizes it can handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer-dryer.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	173267   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	173268  

Boat Named Sue is offline   Reply With Quote