Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2021, 09:42   #46

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Stainless fittings into aluminium

That’s a great, but damage filled story. Thanks for the link. I need to inspect mine next time the fuel is low.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 18:05   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
That’s a great, but damage filled story. Thanks for the link. I need to inspect mine next time the fuel is low.
Hopefully you have a decent inspection plate you can remove to look inside. If, like me, you have only a small hole where the gauge mounts my trick is the same thing I did to inspect my SCUBA tanks. Took a small 12V bulb, soldered it onto a couple of 3-4' wires. Connect that to a battery then lower it into the tank. Gives a good light without blocking your inspection hole with a flashlight.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 22:38   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
What is the other metal in the tank bottom example? I suspect it may be the alloy itself; possibly Cu in the mix.
It does not need much difference in the metallurgical make up of the metals to create a corrosion cell.
Old 21-11-2021, 00:16   #49

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

It seems my original post has been subject to a bit of "topic creep" away from my original post about fittings. But this is great and certainly not a criticism as it is fascinating and educational to hear what others are doing. For what it's worth, I'll be using ss fittings into alu and will do my extreme best to isolate the two. I'm also going with two fuel supply ports. The primary is at the bottom of the tank which will also have a drain valve. This way all fuel (and crud) will go to the twin Racors before the engine. The second supply will from the top of the tank via a pick-up tube in case of a suspected blockage of the primary port. There will be a changeover switch between the two. Perfect - undoubtedly not. Other options - most certainly. But that seems the best option in my case having listened to the great comments on this forum.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 00:51   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
The primary is at the bottom of the tank which will also have a drain valve. This way all fuel (and crud) will go to the twin Racors before the engine. The second supply will from the top of the tank via a pick-up tube in case of a suspected blockage of the primary port. There will be a changeover switch between the two. Perfect - undoubtedly not. Other options - most certainly. But that seems the best option in my case having listened to the great comments on this forum.
I would keep the primary pickup from the tank top. I would keep the drain as well.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:08   #51

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You are NOT going to succeed in electrically isolating them if they are at all tight. I hope this is obvious on the face of it, and you can check with a multimeter. What you are trying to do is exclude oxygen. A thread sealant such as Locktite will do that, as will a hard-to-wash-out grease like Tefgel. However....

Teflon pipe dope is a better sealant for this application, particularly with straight/taper mismatch (which does does not always work out).

Thin,

Slightly off topic, and on a thread a few months old. But not too astray, I hope.

I'm preparing to set stainless threads into aluminum, the nightmare of sailors the world over. Recommended materials include blue locktite, tefgel, and lanocote. Tefgel is simply teflon paste -- and googleing got me to your comment above.

Is Teflon pipe dope an effective alternative to Tefgel? Sure, a tub of TefGel is only $35 (or double that at West), but it's more money spent and more stuff to store if the Teflon pipe dope on my shelf is comparable.

Your thoughts?

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:17   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Thin,

Slightly off topic, and on a thread a few months old. But not too astray, I hope.

I'm preparing to set stainless threads into aluminum, the nightmare of sailors the world over. Recommended materials include blue locktite, tefgel, and lanocote. Tefgel is simply teflon paste -- and googleing got me to your comment above.

Is Teflon pipe dope an effective alternative to Tefgel? Sure, a tub of TefGel is only $35 (or double that at West), but it's more money spent and more stuff to store if the Teflon pipe dope on my shelf is comparable.

Your thoughts?
Harry
One thing I like about Lanolin is you cant wash it off with water.
I suspect none of them are perfect though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:25   #53

I used to lived on an aluminium boat and we put SS screws into a plastic rawlplug and made a plastic or rubber gasket for whatever were were going to fix to the boat. The alternative is that the paint will bubble.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote