Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 16:40   #46

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41
Re: Stick-on Holding Tank Level Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holding Tank View Post
Friends; ... the holding tank radar can be made smaller than a pack of cards and the cost can be less than $50 in parts. Modern chips are amazing, and are being made in quantities because of automotive applications (so becoming cheap).
Remember; I am an old retired radar scientist (and a sailor), so I really do know how to do this cheaply.
I'd be looking at the motorhome market as well, I could use one on my class B's dooky tank. I can hold the flapper open and look down there with a flashlight but thats kind of a crap shoot...

I'm thinking it should only measure (use its radar) when told to, to save on the battery. Or maybe just measure once a day to send an alarm if its filling up.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:14   #47

this is just what I'm looking for. Did you ever build it?
hweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:39   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i have the tank tender mentioned earlier- yes it was expensive- it was very easy to install in 2 water, 1 fuel, and the holding tank-- took me an afternoon to do it all-- looks great works great-- what convinced me was the number of people that said "i've had that system for 20 years still works great never had an issue" that was the common thread. i figured that by the time i got done with the original of another system and then the replacement when it went bad plus the aggravation, i would be money ahead. That being said if you could produce this thing for 50 bucks a tank i could see it being worthwhile-- i could also see a battery or hardwire option. i would also want to be able to read it on something other than a phone.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank