Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 14:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Substitute for Raritan's CP

Mea culpa
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:17   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I have not long read your book and I have been trying to find out where I can get Odorlos and KO here in Australia but I cannot find it.

There is a Raritan distributor in OZ... A.M.I. Sales. They have (4) locations in the country; with their head office in O'Connor, Western Australia. They cover most of the major populated areas of Australia: Queensland (Gold Coast/Brisbane), New South Wales (Sydney area) and South Australia (Adelaide), as well as O'Connor (Perth/Fremantle area) in Western Australia. Check with them to see if they provide K.O. and C.P. to any retailers.

Odorlos should be available from RV ("caravan") supply stores in OZ.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
Hi Peggy,

Thanks for that tip about AMI. I have been able to get the CP and KO but have had no luck sourcing Odorlos anywhere in Aus
Jeanneau 45DS #193
Brisbane, Australia
WizardOfTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:33   #18
Marine Service Provider

Have you tried RV/"Caravan" supply stores?
Old 10-11-2016, 17:35   #19

Quote:
Yes, it appears to simply not be available here
Jeanneau 45DS #193
Brisbane, Australia
Old 18-11-2016, 21:35   #20

Quote:
Hi Peggie,

I have now had the chance to try KO and CP and will await the results to show up this week when I go back down to the boat. I do, however, have a couple of other questions in regards to CP. I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that CP would also help with the odour that comes through the inlet hose to the toilet but I cannot see how that would happen as the odour has already started to build up in the hose before it gets to the toilet. On my boat, I am finding that this is quite strong after flushing so is something I want to try and eliminate as much as possible. Also, can I ask about the best way to get the CP into the bowl? I found that the top of the CP bottle actually squeezes out a lot of CP and, I suspect, a lot more than is required. I am going to use a spray bottle next time to try and reduce the "overdosing" but it does beg the question as to how much should you use. Also, I believe that I read somewhere that you indicated that the CP should be squirted up under the rim of the bowl as well. Is that correct?
Jeanneau 45DS #193
Brisbane, Australia
Old 19-11-2016, 06:17   #21
Marine Service Provider

a couple of other questions in regards to CP.
I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that CP would also help with the odour that comes through the inlet hose to the toilet...

You did misunderstand. Nothing poured into the bowl can have any effect in the inlet hose...bowl contents would have to recirculate through the intake hose for that to happen, and we certainly don't want that! However there is a simple solution that doesn't require any product, just a rerouting of the inlet hose to tee it into the sink drain line. That provides safe source of clean fresh water to rinse all the sea water out of the entire system before the boat will sit...after you've closed the seacocks, fill the sink with clean water...flush the toilet. Because the seacock is closed the toilet will pull the water out of the sink, rinsing out thei intake line, pump, channel in the rim of the bowl AND the discharge line. It's been discussed here many times and there also are detailed instructions in my book (which, btw, is available in both hard copy and kindle).

Also, can I ask about the best way to get the CP into the bowl? I found that the top of the CP bottle actually squeezes out a lot of CP and, I suspect, a lot more than is required.

How much comes out depends on how hard you squeeze the bottle...Try not squeezing quite so hard. Or squeeze some onto to a sponge and wipe the bowl... I kept a box of painters disposable gloves under the vanity on my own boat.

I am going to use a spray bottle next time to try and reduce the "overdosing" but it does beg the question as to how much should you use.

Kinda like asking how much soap to use to take a bath...as much as is needed at the time.

Also, I believe that I read somewhere that you indicated that the CP should be squirted up under the rim of the bowl as well. Is that correct?

If you want to coat the entire bowl, you need to start at the top of it...and that's under the rim.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
Old 25-05-2024, 15:53   #22

Boat: Westerly Konsort 29'

I have just watched Practical Sailors' video “A simple solution for Boat Toilet Stink” 

which recommends Raritan C.P. (Cleans Potties) Bio-enzymatic bowl cleaner.

However neither Raritan C.P. nor BioGreenClean are currently available in UK (as far as my searching goes).

Could Peggy or A.N. Other suggest an equivalent alternative ? Thanks.
RogerLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 19:11   #23
Marine Service Provider

CP (part of the product line my company developed and sold to Raritan in 1999) is actually a bio-active cleaner, not just a mild soapy cleaner. It is an excellent toilet bowl cleaner, but an even better sump and drain cleaner.

Before we introduced it I used to use a little Comet on a sponge to clean the toilet bowl on my own boat (adding water to the bowl ahead of solids kept it from being a nasty job)...I kept disposable gloves and a small sponge under the vanity just for that purpose. You can use anything you want to as long as it's not bleach, a pine oil cleaner or household chemical bowl cleaner or any other chemical cleaner.

Raritan only markets C.P. as a bowl cleaner, but IMO it's the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet! Sumps: 2-3 oz in a sump that's about 1/3 full of clean water that's allowed to sit at least overnight (the bacteria need time to work) will leave you with a clean and odor free sump and sump without any manual labor. Sink drains: close the thru-hull, put 1-2 oz of C.P down the drain and fill the drain with water...let stand at least overnight...open the thru-hull and run clean fresh water down the drain... you'll have clean,free running odor free drains without a lick of manual labor.

Although C.P. does need to sit at least overnight to work, it exhausts itself in about 12 hours. Although that's as long as it can work, it can actually sit forever without harming anything.

--Peggie
Old 25-05-2024, 19:16   #24
Marine Service Provider

Won't hurt a thing.

--Peggie