Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 14:21   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Tank liquid level senders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Forgot to mention that we also installed Wema gauges/senders on 2 fuel tanks and 2 water tanks ~7 yrs ago and they work flawlessly. Bill O.
Our yacht came with a bomb proof solution for the fuel tank, it's a 4ft garden cane. Now 32 years old, it will never rot given the number of times its been dipped in diesel over the years
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 19:02   #17

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I too am sad to hear of Dennis's ill health. All of my contacts by both telephone and email with him have been pleasant and professional. He has gone out of his way to help me.

I have one of his systems installed in my fiberglass holding tank, and he has been more than patient with me. Unfortunately, I have fouling problems that have overcome both external and internal sensors. While living aboard in the Bahamas, we have to clean either the internal tank wall in the area where the strips are applied or the external surface of the internal sensor every three or four weeks. Wiping off the brown material then wiping the surface with a bit of hydrochloric acid restores the full functionality of the sensors. Changes between formaldehyde, benzalkonium chloride, and sodium nitrate/citric acid tank treatments all with and without a packet of Calgon dishwasher detergent have not fixed the problem.

where up is to the right. At this level of fouling, the internal sensor (the PVC pipe) reads 1/4 full with an empty tank.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 19:23   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If the OP has an N2K network, he can use the Maretron ultrasonic tank level sensor with baffle: https://www.maretron.com/products/tlm100.php. This is bomb proof and wholly unaffected by fouling. You can display the data on a variety of different network devices, including most likely your main chart plotter, or you can buy one of the smaller DSM MFD's.

Another really bomb-proof solution for this, albeit expensive, is the Hart Tank Tender system: https://www.morganscloud.com/2005/11...-hart-systems/. In my opinion, this is a really superior way to monitor levels in all kinds of tanks. Totally simple, no electricity involved, almost nothing to break, immune to fouling. These are a little wonky in use because they don't read the tank level directly, they read pressure. So you have to make and post a little card showing what level is represented by what pressure, with regard to each tank. Still, I love these things
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 20:21   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I put a SCAD sensor on a Grand Banks holding tank a few years ago. Very easy to install, but I had to calibrate it twice before it gave realistic readings
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 20:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our yacht came with a bomb proof solution for the fuel tank, it's a 4ft garden cane. Now 32 years old, it will never rot given the number of times its been dipped in diesel over the years

I'm not sure I would want to use the same solution for the black water tank . . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 06-01-2020, 20:28   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Forgot to mention that we also installed Wema gauges/senders on 2 fuel tanks and 2 water tanks ~7 yrs ago and they work flawlessly.
Bill O.

My boat was built with Wema senders in all of the tanks.

Boat is 18 years old. Replaced water tank sender once but has been working fine for 8 years or so, replaced black water tank sender several times and finally gave up on it; never replaced fuel tank sender and works fine.

I guess that adds up to either "pretty decent", or "could be better", depending on how you look at it.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49   #22

I haven't used these, by my research a couple of years ago led me to this ultrasonic fellow as the best: https://www.bepmarine.com/en/ts1

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:49   #23

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I have been using the HART Tank Tender product for over 20 years to monitor my water and holding tanks. Simple to install (top mounted) and easy to read. Very accurate too once you've calibrated. Mine measures 4 tanks. Great product! JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:57   #24

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

I purchased a wireless LP tank sensor for the propane tank at home. It is quite a nice unit - water proof - mounted on the bottom of the tank it bounces an ultrasonic pulse upward to the fluid/air interface. This one can be calibrated for arbitrary sized (height) tanks. It reports the level to a phone app.

Now I have not tried it on boat for a "water" tank but I think it might work. At $50.75 us from Amazon it might be worth a try!
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:10   #25

Boat: Oyster 49

If you have easy access to the tank you can use non-contact liquid sensor to make a hand held level detector.
I posted this on YBW https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...2#post-6716967

I used the same sensors to make a hard wired version but it needs a clean wall on the tank to work well it seems

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:10   #26

Boat: Carver 560 Voyager

Just replaced the KUS level sensor on my fresh water tank - got 13 years of service out of it. Found exact replacement on Amazon prime. I have the standard tankwatch4 system on my black water tanks. I find that the floats work best if they are cleaned about every year.
Txcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14   #27

I had a lot of problems with internal tank level senders blocking used in a waste tank. I now have Gobius senders for my holding tanks and after quite a few years I can thoroughly recommend them. From my records I have:

Tek Tanks

+44 1420 520 830

Gobius Tank Gauges (supplied by Tek Tanks)

Anders Meiton, Managing Director
FM MarinAB
Hälleflundregatan 24 A
426 58 Västra Frölunda
Sweden
anders.meiton@fmmarin.se
www.fmmarin.se

+46 (0)70 84 90 627, mobile
+46 (0) 31 69 41 50, fax
Geoffrey Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:18   #28

Replaced all of my senders (1 fuel 3 water) with Wema units of the European ohm range. Thea work great.
JDanielBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 14:02   #29

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Another vote for the Hart system. I have only used mine on the diesel tanks, for nearly 40 years, with no repairs needed ever. I probably need to replace and lube the seals but it still works. It is simple, accurate, and incredibly durable. And yes, it does seem to be priced high when looking at the hardware, but considering the performance it is a deal.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 14:54   #30
srt

Boat: Hunter 40

I have good success with the Garnet systems which work through plastic and fibreglass tanks. The sender is attached with self adhesive to the outside of the tank. Very easy to install. One thing to be aware of is if there is a build up of "crud" solids on the inside of black water tank, readings can be misleading

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/products/
srt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass