Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 10:14   #1

Tank liquid level senders

Is anyone familiar with Wema Kus liquid level senders? I have no way of telling when my black water tank is full--until it's too late. Also for fresh water tanks--no way of knowing when they are getting low except when it too late. What brands are you using?
Miket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Tank liquid level senders

Check these out...the senders go on the outside of the tank, which means they can never become clogged with the animal fats in waste. Scad Tank Monitors

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:40   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Peg, any advice for monitors for a holding tank built in out of plywood and fiberglassed inside and out?
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Peg, any advice for monitors for a holding tank built in out of plywood and fiberglassed inside and out?
Same question for me. Any tank monitors fitted from the top (my only access) that have less tendency to get fouled?
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This is the guy who actually manufacturers the SCAD and SOLO tank monitors.
I guess they resell his product under their name? That is a guess, but I’m nearly certain he’s the actual manufacturer.
https://www.ferriellosales.com/monitoring-systems.html
he’s a nice guy who stays Winters in a large 5th wheel near Crystal River Fl.
He will know if his outside of the tank monitor will work or not, and if not he will steer you to the best inside of the tank option.
I called him about something years ago and he didn’t seem to mind at all helping a customer.

I can’t say enough about his product, easy to install and it just works

On edit, after looking at his website, apparently he has a non fouling inside of the tank option now
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:18   #6

I've been looking at Scad and Mobius for external tank monitoring solutions. Does anyone have any feedback on those two products as well as any comparison info?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I guess they resell his product under their name? That is a guess, but I’m nearly certain he’s the actual manufacturer.
That WAS all true, but sadly Ferriello Sales is no longer in business. Dennis' health had been deteriorating for some time and finally reached the point where he had to close it (I'm surprised his website is still up). He entered a longterm care facility a couple of months ago. New Providence Marine was his design and production facility, they have also been forced to close. An all too common tale of a small company that made excellent products, but with no one to take it over. I'm not sure who's making SCAD systems now.

Dennis and his wife Deane have been my good friends for more than 20 years...so this one is a personal loss as well.

--Peggie
Old 06-01-2020, 13:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

SCAD says on their website that they're gauges will work on fiberglass tanks...if the signal can't penetrate plywood, they also have an encapsulated sender to go inside the tank. Give 'em a call.

The instructions for the internal sender might be useful to you both

SCAD Internal Sender Instructions

--Peggie
Old 06-01-2020, 13:44   #9

Boat: Grand Banks 32

Google sensalert. Simple outside stick-on sender only shows full or empty. I set mine at about the 3/4 full level. When red light comes on I know I have a few more flushes before heading for the pumpout.
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:49   #10

After many years of struggling with the SeaLand/Dometic tank gauge - which always seem to have a random light not working, I'm planning to try something else for my Dometic 40 gallon plastic holding tank. SCAD seems the best choice.

Has anyone had trouble with the SCAD external sensors on plastic holding tanks? Any tips?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 13:51   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
he’s a nice guy who stays Winters in a large 5th wheel near Crystal River Fl.
He will know if his outside of the tank monitor will work or not, and if not he will steer you to the best inside of the tank option.
I called him about something years ago and he didn’t seem to mind at all helping a customer.

I can’t say enough about his product, easy to install and it just works

On edit, after looking at his website, apparently he has a non fouling inside of the tank option now
We tried the PVC non-fouling inside the black water tank option and never could get it to work. Dennis was really great to work with, but after several replacements we gave up and went to a WEMA gauge and holding tank sensor. Have been using it for several years now and works fine.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 14:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
went to a WEMA gauge and holding tank sensor. Have been using it for several years now and works fine. Bill O.
We fitted a Wema tank sender to the water tank. Accurate and not affected by the motion of the boat, seems well damped.

We don't have a black tank so can't comment on its use for that.

In Europe there is a problem over the ohms and matching gauges to senders as there are two types, which give completely opposite readings. Been caught out with that before.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 14:09   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
That WAS all true, but sadly Ferriello Sales is no longer in business. Dennis' health had been deteriorating for some time and finally reached the point where he had to close it (I'm surprised his website is still up). He entered a longterm care facility a couple of months ago. New Providence Marine was his design and production facility, they have also been forced to close. An all too common tale of a small company that made excellent products, but with no one to take it over. I'm not sure who's making SCAD systems now.

Dennis and his wife Deane have been my good friends for more than 20 years...so this one is a personal loss as well.

--Peggie
Sad to hear that, i never met him, but he seemed to be a nice person on the phone.
Old 06-01-2020, 14:13   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We fitted a Wema tank sender to the water tank. Accurate and not affected by the motion of the boat, seems well damped.

We don't have a black tank so can't comment on its use for that.

In Europe there is a problem over the ohms and matching gauges to senders as there are two types, which give completely opposite readings. Been caught out with that before.

Pete

Forgot to mention that we also installed Wema gauges/senders on 2 fuel tanks and 2 water tanks ~7 yrs ago and they work flawlessly.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 14:15   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Has anyone had trouble with the SCAD external sensors on plastic holding tanks? Any tips?
They are literally the aluminum tape you can buy at a home improvement store, except for the copper pieces with the wires soldered to them that goes on top of the aluminum tape.
Probably common sense but some plastics seem to have sort of a waxy type of film on them that I believe may interfere with the tape sticking, mine did, but a little acetone on a rag to clean up the tank and the tape stuck well. That’s been a couple of years ago and all has been fine since.
Mine came with a “repair kit” that I had to use last year when the wires were torn loose when we were changing the three way valve, worked well.

Tags
grass