Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 15:15   #16

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Re: Tank Monitor - SeeLevel ?

I have a sight tube on my water tank, use a stick on my fuel, and the holding tank bag is pretty self evident as well. Veeerrrrryyyy low tech. uses no power at all. But certainly not a good solution for everyone.
Old 29-06-2011, 15:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
I have a sight tube on my water tank, use a stick on my fuel, and the holding tank bag is pretty self evident as well. Veeerrrrryyyy low tech. uses no power at all. But certainly not a good solution for everyone.
Garden cane low tech approach for fuel tank here too
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 15:49   #18

Chris,
Thanks - yet another option (I missed Peggie's reference earlier) the Electrosense monitor uses 5 sensing rods cut to different lengths to measure the tank. Apparently Electrosense tries to configure the rods based on tank size and shape. The 9 volt battery option is nice, simplifying installation.

I have to measure the clearance above the holding tank. My feeling is that I have about 1/2" between the bottom of the cushion and top of tank (top mounted on plywood). That's why I'm not sure if any of the top mounted solutions will work.

Each manufacturer claims their solution is better than the others. We have air pressure, electrical capacitance, ultrasound, measuring rods,....... Amazing how many options for such a simple concept - clearly one has to be better than the others!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 19:07   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
I

Hart Tank Tender The Tank Tender - by Hart Systems, Inc. There's a concern about keeping the level of the tubing above the tank, to avoid siphon. I've been told that if using in a holding tank, the tube needs to be cleaned or replaced every 4 years. Prices start at $400.

Don
My understanding is the hose from the tank doesn't have any low spots to avoid erroneous readings, I don't think it has anything to do with siphoning.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 19:21   #20

James S,
Per the Tank Tender installation instructions, they say to "Keep tubing above the level of the tank to be measured.....". I'd have to run up and over the headliner to properly install!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 20:34   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Where's your tanks Don?
Yes...I can see them possibly siphoning if they are cut and fall below the tank.
If properly installed I wouldn't think they would have much chance of being cut and if they are, they would only fall below the tanks if they were not properly secured.
Really seems a long shot, but certainly possible, thanks for pointing it out Don.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 00:20   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I have Tank Tender's on a 4 tank system. I love it,and I think the real advantage is that the system doesn't use any electricity whatsoever and is totally independent of any batteries or wiring at all. So not only does it pull no juice, it will still work when all your electronic doodads are dead. Mine was installed at the factory in '83, I have the original manual, and it works great. No replaced hoses. Nothing ever gets in the hose but air if you install it right. I have 1000 gallons of tankage so it's nice to be able to keep an accurate count of what's where quickly.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:31   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes, the tank tender is my current system too... it's as good as can be for the non-NMEA crowd imo.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 09:51   #24
Marine Service Provider

I've heard that the SeeLevel works fantastically for any RV unit. The only qualm that I've heard is that the system goes haywire if it comes into any contact with a liquid, as it isn't water tight. Not sure if the system can come with an optional enclosure or not. For a boat, you may want to search for a Water Level Sensor that comes with a water-tight case. If you aren't concerned with the SeeLevel getting wet, I probably would consider getting that.
JLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 04:20   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLodge View Post
I've heard that the SeeLevel works fantastically for any RV unit. The only qualm that I've heard is that the system goes haywire if it comes into any contact with a liquid, as it isn't water tight. Not sure if the system can come with an optional enclosure or not. For a boat, you may want to search for a Water Level Sensor that comes with a water-tight case. If you aren't concerned with the SeeLevel getting wet, I probably would consider getting that.
I don't think Seelevel would last a week at sea...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 06:23   #26

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot
Does anyone have a recommendation for a floatswitch in a dieseltank? I need to reconfigure my day tank so that it switches on the pump at low level, switches of at high level and sounds an alarm if below low level.
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor