Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2017, 06:53   #1

Tank sending sensors

I have the tank level monitor system that uses wires to hang at varying depths inside my fresh and holding tanks to detect liquid. The holding tank sensor wires are needing replaced. They are a solid copper. Is there a better wire that will work as well, possibly stainless rods? I have plenty of 1/16” SS rods we use use for tig welding. Thinking to use shrink wrap to keep the rods from contacting each other. II’m aware of the outside tank sensors, but I rather keep what I have and keep the discussion on this type.
My question is more of electrical conductivity and any type of corrosive issue between the 2 types, not maintenance.
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:39   #2

Re: Tank sending sensors

Added:
A search on the net shows SS way down the list for conductivity vs copper, which is at top. Just not sure if that’s the same type of conductivity the sensor wires are requiring. Electrical engineer I’m not.
Old 30-11-2017, 09:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Would you consider replacing your senders with senders that are attached to the outside of the tank? The advantage to these is, the sender never comes in contact with the contents, so can never become clogged by the animal fats in waste nor corroded by urine. You may be able to use your existing wiring with them. The Profile systems are rated the best...this is the mfr's website, they sell direct: Profile Tank Monitors and also offer outstanding tech support. They'll tell you whether your existing wiring will work. Also sold by SCAD Technologies under their private label brand name SCAD Scad Tank Monitors
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 11:37   #4

. Yes I have considered the Profiles. I’ve read that you recommend them highly and they are being considered as next option. My main reservation is of the reliability/accuracy of the read thru sensors. Beyond my knowledge. My previous boat had the older Sealand Tank Watch 3 system with the floats and never had an problem in the 5 yrs of owning it., I just don’t like their current panel of the 4 colored LEDs. running opposite directions vertically. I prefer the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full designations such as my current system or the Profile legacy model.
Thank you.
Old 30-11-2017, 11:45   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Stainless should work ok, the difference in conductivity in a very low current application should not be significant.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 14:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

The Profile senders are very reliable when properly calibrated according to directions.
Old 30-11-2017, 14:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

The problem with stainless is, urine will eat through it in a very short time. That's prob'ly what got his copper senders...just took longer than steel.
Old 30-11-2017, 14:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tank sending sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The Profile senders are very reliable when properly calibrated according to directions.

And they are easy to install and work well. Mine is a little conservative when the full light comes on, but I’d rather it be early than late.
I have seen one or two reports of the board failing when mounted in an area of high humidity or maybe they get wet, like in the bathroom that is also a shower.
I conformal coated my board before installing it, real easy to do, it’s literally just painting clear paint / sealer on the PC board.

The guy that makes them is real nice to talk to, he lives in a Fifth wheel in Central Fl during the Winter months near Crystal River I think.
Point is he answers the phone and your talking to the designer who built the thing too, so obviously he knows troubleshooting. I will always buy from someone that actually answers the phone and can help as opposed to some 800 number that rings in India or somewhere else.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote