Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2021, 12:21   #1

Boat: Hake Seaward 25
Tank vents plugged by insects/arachnids

We have a chronic problem with our mid-80's O'Day 34. Spiders and/or other insects in northern Lake Michigan plug up our above the waterline through-hull vents connected to our water and waste tanks (not so much the Diesel fuel tank). Do more modern venting systems have an alternative to these vulnerable though-hull vents? It's a real pain to detach the hose from inside, pull off the vent casting on the outside, and ream the holes open again, then re-install. I don't dare just poke them clean from the outside without detaching the vent hose, in order to avoid forcing foreign matter down into the water tank. I appreciate this forum and I thank anyone kind enough to respond.

Marty
zoowoodplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:27   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Tank vents plugged by insects/arachnids

Water and diesel vents should have insect screens in them
Old 06-08-2021, 12:48   #3

Boat: Hake Seaward 25

Thanks! I see Defender has them. I just ordered one for every one of our tanks. Appreciate the suggestion greatly.

Marty
zoowoodplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 13:26   #4
Marine Service Provider

Screens become clogged with dust and pollen...metal screens corrode and become clogged. I'm not sure how else you'd deal with the insects-in-the-vent thru-hull on your water tank...I'd research different types of thru-hulls...perhaps some type of removable cap that's easy to clean out.

The holding tank is another matter. What I'm about to recommend seems counterintuitive, but it's actually the best solution: replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull. This will allow you to put a hose nozzle against the vent thru-hull and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat and/or pump out, or even more often if necessary. Any critters who've tried to set up housekeeping the vent will just get a water slide ride into the holding tank.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 15:01   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use a Raid Bug Barrier spray from the hardware store. I have a lot of trees by my dock and without spraying the places spiders like to nest, I'd have 50 nests on the boat in a couple days.
The barrier seems to last a season.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 15:17   #6

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

To repel spiders buy peppermint oil and then mix this with water in a bottle sprayer 4:1 water to peppermint. Spray everywhere you don’t want spiders. Repeat every two weeks.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Copper "brillo" pads work great. Don't rust and can be replaced very cheaply. Also if you get a small diameter wire and bend it into a SMALL hook, you can penetrate the crap in the vent and then tease it out.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:40   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoowoodplaner View Post
We have a chronic problem with our mid-80's O'Day 34. Spiders and/or other insects in northern Lake Michigan plug up our above the waterline through-hull vents connected to our water and waste tanks (not so much the Diesel fuel tank). Do more modern venting systems have an alternative to these vulnerable though-hull vents? It's a real pain to detach the hose from inside, pull off the vent casting on the outside, and ream the holes open again, then re-install. I don't dare just poke them clean from the outside without detaching the vent hose, in order to avoid forcing foreign matter down into the water tank. I appreciate this forum and I thank anyone kind enough to respond. Marty
I had that problem on one of my fuel tanks. I was suspicious because I always measure my fuel tanks before pumping fuel and the numbers did not match. I corrected the problem by clearing the lines and then inserting a small piece from a plastic scouring pad...no issues since then.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 19:21   #9

Boat: American Tug AT34

I made a suction cup looking device from Home Depot parts in the plumbing department. I hold it up over the thru hull with a hose screwed on it and blow water through the vent. For fuel I use an electric (West Marine) dinghy pump to blow air into the vent.. Work great. There will always be spiders and other insect to plug up the screens.
AT34MorStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 19:39   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Screens become clogged with dust and pollen...metal screens corrode and become clogged. I'm not sure how else you'd deal with the insects-in-the-vent thru-hull on your water tank...I'd research different types of thru-hulls...perhaps some type of removable cap that's easy to clean out.

The holding tank is another matter. What I'm about to recommend seems counterintuitive, but it's actually the best solution: replace the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull. This will allow you to put a hose nozzle against the vent thru-hull and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat and/or pump out, or even more often if necessary. Any critters who've tried to set up housekeeping the vent will just get a water slide ride into the holding tank.

--Peggie
Peggie is correct - the holding tank vent should be a mushroom through hull. Mine is 1".

As far as water tank vents, there is no good reason to have them exposed outside the boat. They can be installed inside high up or run into the sink like Swan did.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug