Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 03:46   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Tecma vs Raritan Elegance Toilets?

I spent a couple of weeks over New Year's on a friend's 100' motor yacht. It was equipped with Tecma toilets which seemed awfully solid. Now in another thread one CFer is extolling these things.

I am thinking about getting rid of the Raritan Sea Era toilet which I have in my after heads, just not trusting it not to break at an inopportune moment and spoil a cruise.

I was thinking about the Raritan Elegance but they are hard to get in Europe, and costly. Parts are hard to get.

The Tecma is made in Italy. It's also costly, but it looks to be really heavy duty. Parts will be much easier to get over here.

Does anyone have experience with both of these, sufficient to be able to make a comparison?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:43   #2

Re: Tecma vs Raritan Elegance Toilets?

SaniMARIN is also a high quality brand

https://www.sanimarin.com/en/our-products/?cn-reloaded=1

I prefer toilets with the flush button mounted on the toilet , not a control panel .... no big hole to cut in cabinetry and no cable run
These push buttons are typically air switches and seem to last forever

Exhaust plumbing is also an issue ...exhaust up ..exhaust down ...side exhaust

Best is you visit the supplier an inspect the different options to avoid a high cost installation
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:27   #3

Re: Tecma vs Raritan Elegance Toilets?

I did a ton of research on this last year. I ultimately went a different direction (Compost Head, mostly to solve holding tank issues vs head issues), but was a very close call between Elegance and Tecma. I remember when Tecma first showed-up on the scene 20+ years ago. Compared to the competition with their circuit boards and such, Tecma was incredibly simple. I forget exactly, but they had a rough patch of reliability about 10-years ago which has been resolved.

Bottom line: for a marine head, I would have gone with Elegance which also has some gadgetry enhancements to switch between fresh and raw water flush if so designed. But in your situation in Europe, I would go Tecma. Though in my impression, you will not need parts very often. They both seem pretty reliable with strong recommendations from users.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, raritan