Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 18:30   #151

I'm not sure if I replied in this thread yet but we're coming up on one year with our Raritan SeaEra electric macerating head. Gravity fed holding tank like described above. The head itself has been terrific. A couple of times we have to press the button a bit to get it to activate, but that's maybe 5% of the times when flushing and it always works in the end. All in all it's been great. I'm buying a full set of replacement parts (including motor) for the unit. It moves a lot of water too. Holding the button down for five seconds probably clears 3-4 gallons.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 19:05   #152

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

If it were not for Connie I would still be useing a Bucket !! or a toilet seat tyed to the shrouds LOL but as she's worth it we have lavacs, the master in the stern is hooked to an electrosan, forward go's to a holding tank with masceator and both pump out and overboard discharge.
Old 18-04-2013, 10:45   #153

After experiencing issues with Groco, Raritan, Jabsco, 99% of the issue is always the pump or joker valve. I now have a Lavac, which uses a very big bilge type pump, Henderson 5, mounted externally, and nary an issue going on 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03956.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	59464  

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 16:35   #154

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42F

I've had nothing but trouble from the Lavac on a newer boat I purchased. I've fixed the "no water in the bowl" issue, no vacuum issue, loose seat after sailing. You name it. The one that broke the camel's back was when it sprayed solids over the lid and seat. No thanks. I hear people saying it's great and dependable, but it's been anything but in my experience. No thanks. It will soon be on the dock. If anyone wants to buy a used Lavac, I'll have one soon enough.
frankgrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:54   #155

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I bought one of jabsco new computer flush heads at west marine Looked great in the store It is plastic on the outside porclein on the inside Very quiet Problem is when flushin I spits back at the end of cycle kinda gross when flushing solids Anybody else have experience with this?
Output hose clogged.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
Output hose clogged.
As it turned out. It was an impeller design problem. Jabsco replaced with new design
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:11   #157

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
As it turned out. It was an impeller design problem. Jabsco replaced with new design
Thanks! Spent a "crappy" weekend with ours and replaced the head before going through the hoses.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 00:34   #158

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I recently replaced both of my Raritan's with Five Oceans brand electric toilets. One button flushes, macerates and pumps. The are self priming and are made of vitreous china and home style seats. They can be installed above or below the water line. The price and customer service have been outstanding.

I have a lot of non-sailors on my boat and this simple operation relieves a lot of stress.

Only been installed for a couple of years but so far I couldn't be more pleased.

Baron Usa - Marine Equipment
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 04:02   #159

Vacuflush gets my vote. Have two installed 6 years ago. No problems freshwater use for #1 about 1/2 liter. Our main concern for where we cruise is filling the holding tanks. Fresh water in the head to us a major factor, the overall cleanliness, odor, corrosion. Anywhere you keep saltwater out of the boat long-term saves maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:18   #160

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I installed a Nature's head and so far I like it, especially since the boat is on the hard. I don 't have to endanger my life climbing the ladder any more than necessary. I got rid of lots of hosing and the picked up at least 2 cu ft of storage space and gave me more efficient use of the space beneath the sink where the old hoses went, not to mention closing off some thru-hulls.

Its biggest downside is its height. I mounted the toilet sidewise as there was enough room. As far as sitting to pee, I just do it. Toilet, what to do? | Sailing Vessel Vigah

As far as dumping, a dryish earth smelling container versus a tear down of the soupy, smelly joker valve, well, need I say more?
Old 27-09-2014, 05:31   #161

Boat: Carter offshore 35

A manual Lavac not cheap but dependable and simple .
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 07:52   #162

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

We have lived aboard for 11 years. I helped people work on their boats and worked on my own as well. Three or fours years ago I got to the point where I refuse to work on anymore marine heads. We owned some of the best. I helped install "the best" systems in other boats. All of these failed and were a headache in one aspect or another.
I now have a composting toilet, that's not for everybody so I will let you know my last electric setup which was the best one. I satared with this manual head, the hose arrangement is important Thetford ComfortMate Manual Toilet I ditched the manual pump and added this (or similar) macerator pump in it's place Johnson Macerator Pump
The water supply was a thru-hull and a pump like this Jabsco Water Puppy Bronze Pump

The beauty of this setup, the pumps are no joke and get the job done. The pumps can be replaced individually and multiple brands will interchange meaning if you do have an issue you can fix it instead of waiting days for a part to come in. Also the pumps can be placed where they are easy to get to.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:35   #163

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I am removing my Lavac after 25 years of service. Not because it isn't the best, only because I am overhauling the head compartment for an upcoming cruise. I would like to replace it with a "Popular" model instead of the current "Zenith", only because I'm going to install a second Lavac in the aft cabin, and I would prefer to have only one set of spares (other than the rubber parts, of course). Anyone want a spectacular deal on the Zenith bowl unit and live near San Diego? I have only used the Whale 10 for the discharge pump, but this was due to my inaccurate presumption that the aluminum body (epoxy coated) was superior to the Henderson bilge pump. I was wrong, as the aluminum body eventually self destructs in near constant contact with seawater. I will have pics of the overhaul, including te holding tank (which is being removed only to gain access to some bownet tangs forward of it).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 14:13   #164

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Formosa, i really appreciate the idea of using the Thetford with the separate macerator. I plan to try it out on my sailboat, to replace the portipotti.
I have Raritan Elegance heads on my motoryacht. Customer service is great and the heads are very nice. The control module to me is not very robust. I broke two of them while installing in a cramped location, so I use instead momentary push switches on that head, One for water, one for flush.
They have a rubber check valve on the blackwater exit.. It can get clogged with TP if the water is not flushed through it.
I also second the use of a gravity-draining holding tank located above the waterline. One of the heads is set up this way. Unless I am in a restricted area, it requires no attention. 5 seconds closes the ball valve at the base and I am compliant. On that holding tank, it was not practical to plumb a pump out line. Instead, the pump-out fitting on the tank is capped. I have a six foot piece of sanitation hose, with one end bearing a deck pump out fitting and the other end with a fitting to screw into the holding tank. I just attach it to the holding tank and feed it out the porthole.. Or I will. Never have had to pump out in the 3 years since installation.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 27-09-2014, 19:26   #165
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I have Raritan Elegance heads on my motoryacht. Customer service is great and the heads are very nice. The control module to me is not very robust. I broke two of them while installing in a cramped location, so I use instead momentary push switches on that head, One for water, one for flush.
They have a rubber check valve on the blackwater exit.. It can get clogged with TP if the water is not flushed through it.
Anyone who'd flush TP through ANY toilet without any water deserves a clogged toilet!
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine