Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 00:53   #196

Boat: no boat any more
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
One word. Lavac. Enough said. No contest.
2 caveats though:
1: keep a sealing lid for the emergency that someone breaks seat, lid or gaskets (we had a 6mm ply disc with a foam-rubber-strip glued around the edge): because otherwise you'd have to pour the flushing water with a bucket

2: don't ever do as I did: in the ladys absence-for-the-day pour boiling water into the bowl to "really clean" it...

small principal fault of the lavac zenith (or so we thought): you can't flush while sitting on it (or at least unless you ahve an enormous behind...)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:12   #197

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Spoke with a jabsco today He said that early model of that head did that ( purchased in jan) He is sending me a complete new head no cost
& also they had used the wrong pulleymaterial for the toothed-belt-pulleys (plastic instead of metal) - had to recall a few ones...
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:31   #198

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Hi..we recently fitted an electric head made by Jabsco. Reading discussion on the forum, it seems only a matter of time (and not necessarily much time) before it will fail. What do people think is the best marine toilet - manual or electric. We had a vacuum toilet on a previous boat and that seemed to work well. The vacuum was provided by a substantial hand operated pump. I think the brand was Lavac.

I actually built my own , I think the key to longevity is to use your fresh water supply on board and not salt water .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05   #199

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I actually built my own , I think the key to longevity is to use your fresh water supply on board and not salt water .
Regards
I was talking to Peggy Hall at the Strictly Sail in Richmond, CA about heads and head plumbing, specifically using the pressurized freshwater supply for flushing.

She was concerned that marine toilets are not designed for pressurized intake water and by using it could damage seals, etc.

I need to contact my toilet mfg (Five Oceans, Barons USA) for more clarification.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:47   #200
Marine Service Provider

Barons isn't a mfr, they're a distributor of marine equipment made in South America, Asia and Europe. Five Oceans toilets appear to be made by TMZ.

However, potential damage to a MANUAL pump isn't the only reason why connecting sea water toilets to the onboard fresh water system is a no-no that every toilet mfr specifically warns against in their installation instructions. Toilets designed to use pressurized flush water (the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head is the only manual toilet that is), have built in siphon breaks, check valves and other devices that protect the potable water supply from contamination by e-coli that can migrate into the inlet line....sea water toilets don't have any protection against it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:45   #201

Boat: Yankee 30'

I had a good luck with my cobbled up system, even installed similar on a customer's boat. Originally purchased Lavac, but when the lid seals failed after couple of years, I just started using the fresh water shower head (actually the household sink rinse off head from hardware store) to ad water for flushing. Not only I can flush while sitting, but I am probably one of very few 30 footers with a de facto bidet. Before heading to the Med few years back I added a independent salt water flush hose with a small electric pump, switch mounted part way down the hose. Best off both worlds.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 21:57   #202

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasse_A View Post
Blake Victory, That's Blake Babys big sister.
I just bought one in bad shape and have now renewed it to as good as new.

The price of a new one is mind boggling
Buy Superyacht Blakes Lavac Victory Right Hand Toilet Manual Toilet at Marine Megastore Chandlery 15% off orders over £300!*
Love the Blake's Baby in Mildred Rose! Came with the boat.. The cruiser rebuild kit cost more than a lot of heads themselves.. only downside to it.. cost of spares!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 22:45   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Barons isn't a mfr, they're a distributor of marine equipment made in South America, Asia and Europe. Five Oceans toilets appear to be made by TMZ.

However, potential damage to a MANUAL pump isn't the only reason why connecting sea water toilets to the onboard fresh water system is a no-no that every toilet mfr specifically warns against in their installation instructions. Toilets designed to use pressurized flush water (the Raritan Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head is the only manual toilet that is), have built in siphon breaks, check valves and other devices that protect the potable water supply from contamination by e-coli that can migrate into the inlet line....sea water toilets don't have any protection against it.
Just an FYI.....Barons USA acts as the US distributer and manufacturers rep for Five Oceans which I believe is headquartered in Brazil. Any problems or questions need to be routed thru Barons USA, otherwise you have zero chance of finding a solution to your problem or an answer to your question.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:12   #204
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for that information. I don't think Barons would be much help either...there's no mention of tech support on their website, no owners manuals or trouble shooting guides either, just some very rudimentary exploded drawings. And their prices are so low that I have to question the quality/durability of their toilets.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:35   #205

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

I am still very happy with the Raritan Marine Elegance with fresh water and salt water flush has worked flawlessly since they came out and I bought one now have to and in liveaboard application have been using them for about five years I have not yet had to install a rebuild kit using primarily freshwater

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:26   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Thanks for that information. I don't think Barons would be much help either...there's no mention of tech support on their website, no owners manuals or trouble shooting guides either, just some very rudimentary exploded drawings. And their prices are so low that I have to question the quality/durability of their toilets.
I've had (2) Five Oceans electric porcelain toilets that I purchased from Baron USA three years ago and am very satisfied with the product and excellent customer service. They were $300 ea and I replaced (2) $1000 Vacuflush units that were a nightmare.

No longer do my guests have to stress over when to open and shut valves. One push on the button and nothing else. BTW, I've never had a clog or similar issue. I am researching using a fresh water supply. Barons says it would require installing a solenoid but they do not supply. They too advised about concerns of contaminating the freshwater supply.

I've purchased many more items from them as they are like West Marine in South America. Barons USA in Miami has provided outstanding support and customer service.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:48   #207

Another happy Raritan Elegance user (six years now). Had Lavacs before.

I never even think about clogs. The macerator chews everything up before it enters the plumbing.

Surprisingly quiet. Very much "like home". Wife would never go back to valves and pumps. Guests don't get confused.

Good "bowl cleaning" flush design. It stays very clean.

Uses less flush water than manual heads so the holding tank fills noticeably slower. Fewer pump-outs.

No routine maintenance required (or even suggested) by Raritan. No repairs to date

I used to be a Lavac fan but would never go back to counting pump strokes and then waiting for the seat to release to see if the bowl was empty. Using the Lavac would also fill the holding tank very quickly.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 14:02   #208
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Iriemon, There is a solution to your Sea Era Toilet bowl filling to the rim. Any toilet that is mounted below or at the waterline should have the intake line run above the waterline with a vented loop at the top. For an electric toilet, like the Sea Era, the loop should be equipped with an electric solenoid that closes the vent when the pump is running.

Jabsco Vented Loop Solenoid Valve 37068-2000

If your Lavac is at or below the waterline, it should be equipped with a vented loop as well.
A lavac already has a siphon break, that being the device that eventually breaks the Lavac's vacuum and regulates how full the bowl is after a flush, and how much water is used during a flush. The little fitting or equivalent comes in different sizes to handle different heights above the water line and different desired amounts of water left in the bowl after a flush.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 14:38   #209
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Iriemon, There is a solution to your Sea Era Toilet bowl filling to the rim. Any toilet that is mounted below or at the waterline should have the intake line run above the waterline with a vented loop at the top. For an electric toilet, like the Sea Era, the loop should be equipped with an electric solenoid that closes the vent when the pump is running.

Jabsco Vented Loop Solenoid Valve 37068-2000

If your Lavac is at or below the waterline, it should be equipped with a vented loop as well.
A lavac already has a siphon break, that being the device that eventually breaks the Lavac's vacuum and regulates how full the bowl is after a flush, and how much water is used during a flush. The little fitting or equivalent comes in different sizes to handle different heights above the water line and different desired amounts of water left in the bowl after a flush.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 13:28   #210

About 2.5 years ago I replaced my manual Jabasco heads with the Dometic Masterflush, 12V fresh water. Best thing I ever did to the boat. I had researched the various head types and finally went with the Masterflush. Never had an issue.
rogerlamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine