Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 13:03   #211

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: The Best Marine Toilet

New to site and hoping I'm doing this right. I have a Beneteau 423 and considering switching to electric toilets. Raritan Elegance seems like the best choice but I wondering what the group's thoughts are on going with a Vacuum Toilet instead. I was on a much larger boat with vacuum toilet and they seem to work really well. Just not sure if it requires too much room and plumbing for my boat. The Rattan seems to be self-contained and should fit without any problem.
Stukauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 19:36   #212

Boat: Tartan 40

Raritan elegance rocks. Second season on mine and it's great. Easier to teach guests also

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 17:55   #213

Re: The best marine toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Two words, Natures Head. No electric anything, no pump, no maserator, no holding tank, no hoses and very easy to maintain.

I'm torn between giving frequent and often new guests that "home like" experience vs the simplicity you mention.

Is the Natures Head generally ranked above the Air Head? Open on cost.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:55   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would not dare have anything but a Wilcox and Crittenden Skipper head onboard with the number of strangers that I have onboard. It's a real shame it has been discontinued. The last price I saw was $1000 for one. It has no plastic parts to break or small orifices to clog. Pretty much the whole thing is silicon bronze or porcelin.

You might be able to find one used. There are rebuild kits still available.
I will second that conclusion however I did have a bronze part to break after 12 or more years of use. That particular part was going to cost $160 and adding all the other replacement parts, I decided just to buy a cheaper brand new toilet until I found a place in CA selling that part for 65. There was a youtube video showing how to replace and rebuild the thing and the parts guy was helpful too. So maybe another 12 years of use.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 18:35   #215

Boat: Alberg 35

I have a Groco K that doesn't seem to fully draw down. In messages with Peggy Hall and others, the opinion seems to be that the piston needs new plastic rings, which I have. However, I'm wondering if installing these doesn't cure the problem, one of the others would fit the bowl so I could just buy the pump part.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 19:17   #216

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I have a Groco K that doesn't seem to fully draw down. In messages with Peggy Hall and others, the opinion seems to be that the piston needs new plastic rings, which I have. However, I'm wondering if installing these doesn't cure the problem, one of the others would fit the bowl so I could just buy the pump part.
The Groco K uses a bowl that is made just for it and the Groco EB. The EB used a big rubber diaphragm instead of a piston. It was less expensive than the K but unfortunately it hasn't been made in a long time.

I'm sure your K can be repaired. Get a complete repair kit and put it in if you're going to the trouble of taking it apart. Be careful to put the shaft seals in facing the right way. It's easy to get wrong.

You can get the instructions and parts list on the Groco website. They are also very helpful on the phone if you run into a problem.

Now that the Wilcox Skipper is out of production, I think the K is the best manual toilet on the market. Peggie says it's the Baby Blake but I've only seen a Baby Blake once and that was more than thirty years ago. It struck me as very complicated. It doesn't mater, I think Peggie and I agree it's not worth the several thousand dollars it costs.
Old 17-08-2017, 19:28   #217
Marine Service Provider

A kit may or may not solve the problem....it can depend on what's causing it and the age of the toilet (even bronze has a lifespan). Call Groco...Patrick is their tech guru...you'll like him. 410-604-3800.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:31   #218

Boat: Alberg 35

Thanks for the help, I'll give Patrick a call. It's a 1965 boat; who knows how long this head has been in it? I know the PO didn't use it much and we haven't either. As far as I can tell, using the tests you suggest Peg, the piping is sound, it's been renewed recently. I replaced the flapper and joker valve last year but didn't put the rings on the piston, so I have th rest of the rebuild kit including the rings, I can do that.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:48   #219

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: The best marine toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
...Is the Natures Head generally ranked above the Air Head? Open on cost.

I'd rank them as pretty much equal. That said, I went with the NH ove AH. Reasons, as I recall, was a slightly better fit for my space, slightly bigger holding capacity and slightly better cost. NH has an integrated seat which I've heard say is more standard-like than AH, but I think both are very similar.
Old 19-08-2017, 15:03   #220

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukauf View Post
New to site and hoping I'm doing this right. I have a Beneteau 423 and considering switching to electric toilets. Raritan Elegance seems like the best choice but I wondering what the group's thoughts are on going with a Vacuum Toilet instead. I was on a much larger boat with vacuum toilet and they seem to work really well. Just not sure if it requires too much room and plumbing for my boat. The Rattan seems to be self-contained and should fit without any problem.
I have two of the Marine Elegance toilets aboard, with 4 years of liveaboard use no issues!
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine