Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52   #61

Re: The frugal sailors stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Today I replaced my 42 year old RV stove with a New RV stove. I went with an RV stove for several reasons. First and most importantly cost. The new stove (a scratch and dent model, really just a few scuffs on the door) was less then $290 including shipping from a seller on ebay. Marine stoves start at about $1200 and go up from there. Second, being an RV stove parts when needed will be far less expensive then the equivalent marine version.

The old Trav'ler RV stove had gimbals and a latch installed. I was able to reuse both the gimbals and the latch ( simple sliding door latch) on the new stove).

Of course it helped that the boats galley was designed around an RV stove in the first place. My boat being the yachtcraft kit version of the Islander 34. But the dimensions for the RV stoves are pretty close to a marine stove, so others can do this too. It was surprisingly ease to do.

I pop riveted the old gimbals plates to the new stove using steel rivets. The balance point sits a little more toward the front of the stove, but its not bad at all.

Below are photo's of the old stove and new stove. I used the boom vang to hoist the old stove up and to lower the new stove down, using the boom and main halyard, much like how an engine is pulled.

The whole remove and replace only took a few hours too. I still have to rework the fiddles on the new stove. But that will be for another day (real soon)

I am a very happy camper. First for saving a ton of money and second for having a shiny new stove. Happy Happy.
CLAP YOUR HANDS IF YOU FEEL LIKE A ROOM WITHOUT A ROOF!!!
southernfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 13:25   #62

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

southernfreedom,

Perhaps you'd care to clarify your comment above? Was it intended as humor? or were you just taking a poke at someone with a heck of a lot of knowledge and initiative?
Old 02-01-2015, 13:28   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, this independent thinking without consideration to what the insurance statisticians would think is unfathomable.... OTOH... I doubt most insurance people would know a sextant from a sex toy....
The common misconception is that the insurance company is here to help us; in fact, the job of the insurance company is to make money for the stockholders, and perhaps they don't think that marine insurance has anything to do with boats?

I quite agree with Cheechako's whole post.
Old 02-01-2015, 14:13   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I doubt most insurance people would know a sextant from a sex toy....
It would seem that to some of the more traditionally minded contributors to CF, a sextant IS a sex toy!

Jim
Old 02-01-2015, 14:13   #65

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

The purpose of insurance is to fund the
attorneys needed to collect premiums and deny claims. The loop hole doesn't have to be large or expensive, just effective.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:25   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
It would seem that to some of the more traditionally minded contributors to CF, a sextant IS a sex toy!

Jim
Uh oh! Big thread drift.... The real concern is whether a Plexus bonded sextant case is appropriate....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:56   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Dear me, I never thought I would hear the words sextant and sex toy in the same sentence. Well done guys! . So where is the.... oh wait, let's not go down that road....

I concur that insurance is only as good as your attorney. Marine insurance well really all insurance, main purpose seems to be the enrichment of the insurance company shareholders.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 15:36   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Had an insurance survey on my boat last summer. 32 years old with the origioinal kerosene cooker.

The bugger gigged me for it being fix mounted, not gimballing. So I had to do some surgery and such on the cabinetry to make it gimbal. 35° is required supposedly.

Truth be told this job was on my list anyway, still set my jaw off kilter. That and making me move the stern light cause it was "obstructed". It was a damn sight less obstructed than most boats out there.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 18:04   #69

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Had an insurance survey on my boat last summer. 32 years old with the origioinal kerosene cooker.

The bugger gigged me for it being fix mounted, not gimballing. So I had to do some surgery and such on the cabinetry to make it gimbal. 35° is required supposedly.
So,what then do they do if you have a drop in counter stove? Do you then have to gimbal the whole cabinet and countertop that it's mounted in??
Old 02-01-2015, 19:29   #70
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

As far as I know there is not a requirement for any stove to be gimballed, at least not in ABYC. Maybe just in that surveyor's mind. Many boats have fixed stoves, drop-in or larger with oven. You can also make a good case for a fixed stove with good potholders - which was the arrangement on the Pardey's boats.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 19:40   #71

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Anyone know if you can retrofit thermocouple protection for range burners for a 25 year old Seaward 3 burner range/oven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 20:21   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Anyone know if you can retrofit thermocouple protection for range burners for a 25 year old Seaward 3 burner range/oven?
If it is possible it will not be easy nor inexpensive probably. After 25 years I would look at a new stove - Force 10 possibly.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 21:36   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

Good question, Oddly downwindmarine does sells retrofit burners for older force 10 stoves. Force 10 Burner Retrofit Kits - Stainless Steel - LPG Stove Parts - Stoves & Ranges - Galley, Stoves & Barbeques - Downwind Marine

Looks to be about ~$300 for a three burner stove.

I would check to see if the parts are compatible with seaward as many parts are 3rd party OEM.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 14:26   #74

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Good question, Oddly downwindmarine does sells retrofit burners for older force 10 stoves. Force 10 Burner Retrofit Kits - Stainless Steel - LPG Stove Parts - Stoves & Ranges - Galley, Stoves & Barbeques - Downwind Marine

Looks to be about ~$300 for a three burner stove.

I would check to see if the parts are compatible with seaward as many parts are 3rd party OEM.

Thanks for the info. Sailing to San Diego now so I can stop in at Downwind Marine and check it out.

Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail