Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 22:29   #61

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazelle Family
No water
No plumbing
No mess
No pumpout
No smell
No bugs
No toilet seat to clean
No clogged toilet
No hassles
No holding tank to leak
No worries
Hundreds of plastic bags in our landfills..... Priceless??
bags inside of bags?? even worse..
got to be a better way.
The Serrano Club of Florida estimates the planet deals with 1 trillion plastic sacks each year.

If I use my home made wag bag toilet three times a year, please tell me how much I am tipping the balance towards Earth's inevitable destruction?

If I were installing a wag bag system in crappers in every Wal-Mart from dateline to dateline, maybe that would add an additional burden on the waste management systems of the planet.
Old 20-11-2012, 22:41   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37
bobconnie, nothing beats a bucket. Your wood toilet seat is a bit of one upmanship on my plastic toilet seat. I once heard it referred to as 'Nat Herreshofs favorite'. All my smaller boats were equipped with bucket only. Wasn't until i moved up to a 37 footer that i finally got a 'real' marine head.

Why garymayo would go to the trouble of basically making a bucket out of a household toilet puzzles me, but then those people up in the frozen north have long winters and need to occupy their time somehow...
It is not just how you cook your soft boiled egg, but how it is served that makes for a fine dining experience. The same goes for anything in life. A fine experience in anything, is always worth the effort put forth.

While I concede the use of a bucket, would be just as direct a method to wag bag my waste issues in my sailboat, the ambiance would just not be the same. While I acknowledge the use of wag bags is basic conspired to electric pushbuttons and holding tanks, my sailboat is my pride and joy, and I love and respect her. She deserves the very finest attributes and circumstance I can bring to her. I personally feel, the head I have made is a giant step forward, to making a simple act of nature, even simplier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pride_joy.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	50032  
Old 20-11-2012, 22:50   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719

Yes, some do. Others leak. And sometimes big lumps of blue ice fall from the sky...

The wagbag idea might cause problems with customs inspection, particularly in jurisdictions where they ride roughshod over the victim, er, I mean traveler...

Customs Officer: "Hey, what's in all these black bags? You smuggling something? Here, Private Gump, go through this lot..."

Seaman Wag E. Bag: "Wait, stop! You don't want to..."

CO: "Shut it! Gump, get cracking!!"
If I were in a coastal area, I would check with the authorities before I did this. However, in Nebraska, we have as our aquatic police, something called The Coast Guard Auxiliary. They are about like Dennis The Menace with a junior sheriffs badge. No authority, and I am told, little help if you ask them anything. Should I wind up in an area that police's such matters, I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

With a ships log, they can count the logs I am making and see if that jives with days out. Better than a holding tank to keep a reckoning.
Old 21-11-2012, 00:22   #64

Boat: Fisher 37 Pilothouse Ketch
Re: The Head To End All Heads

Quote:
Last fall, I got back into sailing. . . .

If I use my home made wag bag toilet three times a year, please tell me . . . .
Let's see, the above would indicate that you have used this ridiculous contraption about three times. And have spent how many hours extolling the virtues of it on this forum? Unless you are a very fast writer, it looks like you have spent more time crapping on the internet than in your bag holder gadget.

Apologies to the other members of this forum if I am out of line here. I am a new to the forum and this is my first post, but I somehow couldn't let this one go by. I do hope this entire thread is a joke perpetrated by Capt. GaryMayo and that I have taken the bait. If it isn't, I may have to reconsider cruising and take up professional skateboarding instead, or perhaps even golf.
3 Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 00:29   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Feathers View Post
Let's see, the above would indicate that you have used this ridiculous contraption about three times. And have spent how many hours extolling the virtues of it on this forum? Unless you are a very fast writer, it looks like you have spent more time crapping on the internet than in your bag holder gadget.

Apologies to the other members of this forum if I am out of line here. I am a new to the forum and this is my first post, but I somehow couldn't let this one go by. I do hope this entire thread is a joke perpetrated by Capt. GaryMayo and that I have taken the bait. If it isn't, I may have to reconsider cruising and take up professional skateboarding instead, or perhaps even golf.
Hey guys, go easy on him. Each to his own.

By the way welcome to CF Feather. Lots of entertainment here if nothing else .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 01:11   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Feathers

This is your first post. Lol

On average, how many posts do you average on a new forum, before your posts are deleted, or you are banned? Just courious.

Why is it, people get so worked up over the action of taking a dump? Beats me. Sorry my thread caused all your seams to unravel.
Old 21-11-2012, 01:14   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass

Hey guys, go easy on him. Each to his own.

By the way welcome to CF Feather. Lots of entertainment here if nothing else .
Nothing but entertainment? Heavens, your about as offensive as the trolls. Lol

I guess the old addage is true. Keep close to your friends, but keep closer to your enemas.
Old 21-11-2012, 01:36   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Nothing but entertainment? Heavens, your about as offensive as the trolls. Lol

I guess the old addage is true. Keep close to your friends, but keep closer to your enemas.
Offensive? Heavens, Gary, keep your knickers on. That wasn't what I meant at all. Sure you must admit some post/threads here are good for a laugh?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:28   #69

Boat: Fisher 37 Pilothouse Ketch

Quote:
On average, how many posts do you average on a new forum, before your posts are deleted, or you are banned? Just curious.

Why is it, people get so worked up over the action of taking a dump? Beats me. Sorry my thread caused all your seams to unravel.
Actually, this is my first post ever as this is the first forum I have ever joined. If I am banned for it, my average on average will be one.

I'm sorry if I can across as being worked up. I'm not and certainly my seams remain unraveled. I just find it amusing that a topic as ridiculous as this one should get as much attention as it has. That being said, most of the responses to the initial post are thought provoking, informative, and entertaining; all qualities that make this forum such a valuable resource for cruisers.

The idea of turning a household ceramic toilet into a marine head by plugging the outlet with plaster of paris, dumping in plastic bags, and storing the results in the tank is patently silly, but hey, they laughed at Einstein and the Wright Brothers. Perhaps in five years we will all have one of these concraptions in our boats. If so, here is some ancillary gear we will need for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP Hat.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	50056  
3 Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:45   #70

Wow.....even a crapper thread can get out of hand.

I personally don't care. If you want to squat into a bag, go for it. I wish the bag was more (human) environmentally friendly, but I guess a paper sack wouldn't work well.

The funny thing about environmental, it's really geared towards keeping humans alive. The earth doesn't care. After a few million years (of our extinction), she won't even know we were here.

I personally think my use of a typical head with holding tank is the way I wish to go, and don't see anything wrong with it. Bears poop in the woods, fish poop in the sea. To each his own.........

James L
Old 21-11-2012, 10:47   #71

Boat: OEM, proportional

Patently silly? I thought it was a model of ingenuity and resourcefulness. Probably one of the happiest cruisers around, sitting all smug & comfortable on his porcelain throne, thinking of all those poor swabs with their pumpout wars with the authorities, or the sheer joy of playing with holding tanks and leaks and blockages and whatnot.

You probably haven't been in the army. As an experiment, try this: live off concentrated field rations for a few weeks uninterrupted. A bowel movement will be a weekly affair, and something for the diary because it is a landmark moment, in several ways. Being able to accomplish and savour this rare feat in peace and uncomplicated serenity is priceless, hence the brilliant simplicity of the hybrid wagbag porcelain privy. He should patent it.
Old 21-11-2012, 12:33   #72

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Feathers View Post
I just find it amusing that a topic as ridiculous as this one should get as much attention as it has..
But but... crapping in a sailboat is serious busines. Every roll makes you
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 13:09   #73

To continue, for those wishing to venture on in my footsteps, I placed a silicone seal at the top of the holding tank to make it airtight, preventing smells from possibly escaping. While I do not expect any eruptions of gases, as I am not storing said bags, long term, I think safe is better than sorry.

The somewhat sticky cured silicone will also hold the tank lid in place as the boat heels.
Old 21-11-2012, 13:23   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
low tech,light weight alternative,with great views and air conditioning
That's the poop deck right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 13:45   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
To continue, for those wishing to venture on in my footsteps, I placed a silicone seal at the top of the holding tank to make it airtight, preventing smells from possibly escaping. While I do not expect any eruptions of gases, as I am not storing said bags, long term, I think safe is better than sorry.

The somewhat sticky cured silicone will also hold the tank lid in place as the boat heels.

Just as I think this thread has run it's course it reappears in my emails. Like a bad smell... it just won't go away.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote