Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 14:15   #76

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Do some of you dislike all wag baggers or just this new idea of an uptown wag bag station?? The over the side bucket folks, you like better, or the plastic bucket wag bag folks?

Seems the blending of porcelain and to go plastic is somehow rejected, more so than just the wag bags done in other ways.

You folks prefer wooden boxes for your wag bags?
Old 21-11-2012, 14:20   #77

Re: The Head To End All Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Do some of you dislike all wag baggers or just this new idea of an uptown wag bag station?? The over the side bucket folks, you like better, or the plastic bucket wag bag folks?

Seems the blending of porcelain and to go plastic is somehow rejected, more so than just the wag bags done in other ways.

You folks prefer wooden boxes for your wag bags?
I really do not think it is the difference of the wag bags methods. It is their perception that dealing with a wag bag is worse than rebuilding their toilet, or dumping their holding tank.

Sorry, but it is for me as well. Even though there will probably be a time, I have the poop geyser happening. It is the daily dealing with a wag bag that moves me (yes pun intended) to the other side.

James L
Old 21-11-2012, 14:50   #78

It seems to me the main problem with the proposed solution is that the enclosed bags will induce anaerobic decomposition since supply of oxygen is cut off. Anaerobic may be fine if the objective is to generate biogas, but for most landfills, they would simply be pollutants(affecting air quality the most) together with the waste water and digested by-products. Anaerobic also dont heat up the pile as much as aerobic so many pathogens (including harmful ones) are not destroyed and actually tend to multiply. So compared to pump outs, diluting in the ocean, or aerobic composting, it seems to be the most environmentally harmful option.
AirHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 15:06   #79

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Wow!!--a thread where everyone is talking nothing but sh1t gets to 77 posts. (oops-79)
The outernet at its best.
Old 21-11-2012, 16:31   #80

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I don't get the part where the OP considers the ocean so "sacred" he couldn't bring himself to poop in it 50 miles offshore, but a "landfill for the purpose" can get as nasty for almost forever as it is convenient for him with no harm or foul.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 21:23   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
I don't get the part where the OP considers the ocean so "sacred" he couldn't bring himself to poop in it 50 miles offshore, but a "landfill for the purpose" can get as nasty for almost forever as it is convenient for him with no harm or foul.
I have seen landfills. They don't seem so pristine that they need protected from my limited waste.

You never throw cups in the trash at McDonald's? You do not generate waste in trash bags that you toss in trash cans?
Old 21-11-2012, 21:34   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHead
It seems to me the main problem with the proposed solution is that the enclosed bags will induce anaerobic decomposition since supply of oxygen is cut off. Anaerobic may be fine if the objective is to generate biogas, but for most landfills, they would simply be pollutants(affecting air quality the most) together with the waste water and digested by-products. Anaerobic also dont heat up the pile as much as aerobic so many pathogens (including harmful ones) are not destroyed and actually tend to multiply. So compared to pump outs, diluting in the ocean, or aerobic composting, it seems to be the most environmentally harmful option.
So a step of bag decomposition is what is needed. I will look for bags that self district in a short period of time.

If I were to incinerate the bags, would that produce positive results?
Old 21-11-2012, 23:32   #83

Boat: 1975 Jason 35

I lived on a Catfisher 32 for many years here in Alaska. Nice head, but the w.c. was not made for the steady use of a liveaboard - itsy bitsy springs had a way of breaking and requiring annual or more frequent repairs. In the third year I replaced it with a Lavac vacuum with an external Whale gusher type pump. Little tricky getting it all in correctly, but did it over a weekend and it worked perfectly for many years. Extra simple. Clean, no smells, compatible with my holding tank or, when okay, direct discharge. Loved it!
Toison Dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 12:09   #84

To amend my wayward sins for the half dozen wag bags I have used in the past 4 years, in my RV, and my planed use of wag bags in my 32 foot sailboat this coming year, I have formulated a plan, that should please the most ardent scoffers of my putrid plugged porcelain pooper paninaca.

I found green bags, and green toilet paper. The bags are 100% biodegradable and give off only a little co2 and h2o as they break down in landfills. Likewise, the toilet paper is 100% recycled and no die is added.

Now that I have taken these steps toward a cleaner world, does any of my detractors care to tell me what more I can do to rid the planet of senseless waste?

As a chose to recycle a used house toilet to start off this project, I should have one of the greener heads of any sailboat on the waters today.

Name:   ECOATLAS276-2.jpeg
Views: 314
Size:  33.7 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	cvs_biodegradable_rubbish_bags1.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	50106
Old 22-11-2012, 12:45   #85

This thread is funny, but nothing new, climbers have been "doing the do" in a bag for years. Try the big wall john FISH Products: Big Wall & Etc. or for the more discerning Mountain Tools Big Wall Can or you can go DIY with some 4" waste pipe and a couple of screw on ends available from your local plumbers. Add some kitty litter between drops and burn it when your somewhere convenient.
Artif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 15:41   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artif
or you can go DIY with some 4" waste pipe and a couple of screw on ends available from your local plumbers. Add some kitty litter between drops and burn it when your somewhere convenient.
Sweet! I bet the sailing club would love to have the contents of that tube, firing the weeners and marshmallows in the fire ring. Lol

I think sticking to the wag bag is still plan A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cook-out-1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	50116  
Old 23-11-2012, 03:46   #87

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Special ops guys take in as food, and out as "used to be food". Its not only buddies they don't leave behind.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:00   #88
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Special ops guys take in as food, and out as "used to be food". Its not only buddies they don't leave behind.

One of my buddies is a scout sniper instructor, and one of his favorite gags with new guys is to tell them to put their crap bag in a leg pocket right before a fast roping insertion. Of course when they hit the ground hard the bag ruptures. Then they have to lay up in it all night. He thinks it's good training, LOL!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:06   #89

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

A different solution is:
Using no-mix (or urine diversion) technology. Here is how it works:

. This solution uses a fraction of the water normally used by marine heads (and the urine flush is much less than the full flush). Dramatically fewer pump outs or going 3 miles offshore to discharge.
. From a health point of view, I can see no reason that the urine flush could not be discharged with the boat grey water. Less volume into the holding tank.
. I have tried to find someone who is making this for boats. No luck so far. This seems to be an entrepenuerial oportunity for someone (I would order 3 of them!).

It is a product waiting to happen.

Brian Rodwell
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 14:34   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rodwell
A different solution is:
Using no-mix (or urine diversion) technology. Here is how it works:

. This solution uses a fraction of the water normally used by marine heads (and the urine flush is much less than the full flush). Dramatically fewer pump outs or going 3 miles offshore to discharge.
. From a health point of view, I can see no reason that the urine flush could not be discharged with the boat grey water. Less volume into the holding tank.
. I have tried to find someone who is making this for boats. No luck so far. This seems to be an entrepenuerial oportunity for someone (I would order 3 of them!).

It is a product waiting to happen.

Brian Rodwell
Sam's Club sells a dual flush toilet, but the basin is unchanged, only the upper tank is modified. Two push buttons, one for pee, and one for poo. The pee button is a reduced flush.

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/alexis-dual...-toilet/193423

Trying to keep that bowl clean in the Japan video, would be a royal nightmare. To separate the curds from the whey in a men's restroom, urinals on a wall would be a solution.

RVs have dual tanks, one grey, and one black. Grey is sinks and showers, and black is toilet. I am assuming sailboats never have grey tanks, or do they?