Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 20:48   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Thermostat/Remote control for Wallas 30dt?

Am considering a Wallas 30dt for heat for a 38' sailing cat for the PNW.

The Wallas remote looks like it calls for a sim card, which would mean it requires a separate cell phone data account and being near a cell tower. I was thinking something a bit simpler, like a bluetooth/wifi connection on the boat itself, or maybe even just a timer that I could have it come up to temp before we get up in the morning. Anyone know if you can use other types of thermostats with this unit? or wire up a secondary DIY control.

Thanks
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:07   #2

Boat: 1983 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Re: Thermostat/Remote control for Wallas 30dt?

You can try asking Scan Marine in Seattle if you haven't already. They have always been very helpful to me and my 30D and 22DT.

Steve
Steveschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:35   #3

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveschr View Post
You can try asking Scan Marine in Seattle if you haven't already. They have always been very helpful to me and my 30D and 22DT.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I should have updated the thread after I had done my research. I did talk to Scan Marine, they told me about a connector on the unit for a timer, so after some digging found this unit sold by the distributor in the UK.

https://www.kuranda.co.uk/index.php?...ategory_id=262

Doug @ Scan Marine is going to look into it for me.

Thanks

Mark
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
Am considering a Wallas 30dt for heat for a 38' sailing cat for the PNW.

The Wallas remote looks like it calls for a sim card, which would mean it requires a separate cell phone data account and being near a cell tower. I was thinking something a bit simpler, like a bluetooth/wifi connection on the boat itself, or maybe even just a timer that I could have it come up to temp before we get up in the morning. Anyone know if you can use other types of thermostats with this unit? or wire up a secondary DIY control.
I have a Wallace 40D, and from what I understand, although I'm no expert, is that the cabin thermostat is not like a domestic one, which operates a switch when the set temp is reached. It's constantly measuring the cabin temp electronically and sending that reading to the main unit, which compares it with your selected temp setting. The benefit of this is that it's not an on-off system - it reduces heat output as the selected cabin temp is reached and effectively runs on tick-over to keep the temp, which is a nice touch. However, this does mean that it's not an easy task, if at all possible, to install a secondary thermostat in parallel to this.

Having said all that, my unit is 7 years old, so they may do it differently now.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 14:55   #5

Ah, just noticed your last post - good to know.

Incidentally, the guys at Kuranda are really helpful
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote