Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 13:57   #91

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Re: Thinking of Yanking the Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Could you have a talk with my wife please?
Well to be fair, I DO ask a lot of questions and talk to him extensively (probably too extensively sometimes for his taste) about aspects of the boat I don't work on. Usually when it comes to the soundness of the vessel (so working on rigging for example) or when I might be nervous about something.

While I may not be working on something, I do want to understand how something works, and how/why it is safe, before I say, sweet, go ahead!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:59   #92

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The bugs didn't impact your vote at all?
Ultimately no. They were creepy, but I figured we could find a solution to them. But again, if he is in charge of the head, then I defer.

I really don't want to have anything to do with the care of a boat head.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:25   #93

Are you going to the tropics? Do you like coral reefs? If so, keep the holding tank.

Haven't read all 7 pages of posts. Has anyone suggested installing a composting head? I like the idea of producing no discharge while improving the safety of my boat by getting rid of two through-hulls. But I don't own a composting head so I don't know how well they work.
Damon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:57   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If it's taking valuable space, get rid of it. There are very few places other than US and Canada and possibly Europe that literally give a sh*t. It does no harm other than to overly sensitive Gringos sensibilities.
Actually, sewage does cause harm. In addition to spreading diseases like hepatitis (which is a problem in some anchorages in Florida as well as in many developing countries), it kills coral reefs and the fisheries they support. Disease transmission typically occurs in densely populated areas, whereas damage to coral can be caused by relatively small amounts of sewage. Coral reef habitats are naturally low in nutrients, such as nitrogen. Sewage, whether from boats or land, is high in nitrogen and promotes the growth of algae, which smothers and kills the coral. This is a major problem for coral reefs all over the world. Land-based sources of sewage dwarf that coming from boats, but land-based effluent has a chance to "denitrify" to some degree (either through sewage treatment or natural processes) before arriving at the reef. Boats, on the other hand, inject raw sewage into the environment right where it can do the most damage.
Damon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 15:02   #95

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon G View Post
Are you going to the tropics? Do you like coral reefs? If so, keep the holding tank.

Haven't read all 7 pages of posts. Has anyone suggested installing a composting head? I like the idea of producing no discharge while improving the safety of my boat by getting rid of two through-hulls. But I don't own a composting head so I don't know how well they work.
Welcome aboard newbie, and read the frickin' previous posts.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 16:17   #96

For whatever it's worth, we're sitting in a marina in Ensenada, Mexico. Tons of American liveaboards. Zero pump out facilities and the boats never move: I'm sure you can do the math on this.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 16:19   #97

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
For whatever it's worth, we're sitting in a marina in Ensenada, Mexico. Tons of American liveaboards. Zero pump out facilities and the boats never move: I'm sure you can do the math on this.
Funny, it's just like what we saw on our travels
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 22:38   #98
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Congrats on making it to Mexico!!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21   #99

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Yes! Congratulations you two. Remarkably well done, you have earned a swagger.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 19:46   #100

Quote:
They have pumpout at Marina Coral and it's same as our marina back in US. I would have thought Cruiseport had them too. In fact, Marian Coral & marinas in La Paz (where I stayed) had the fuel spill kits they used as well. Pretty serious about the water.

Where are you? We have friends there heading south soon. They are on s/v gabbywray. Also other friends on D & F dock at Coral.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:33   #101

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I spent three years in Paradise Village Marina in Puerto Vallarta, they really keep an eye out for folks not using a holding tank. Get caught and you are out of there. Great pump out facilities, they come to the boat and pump it out for you. Weekly or when ever you ask. Most of the nicer marinas in Mexico have better sit-ups for pump out than in the US.

It maybe the third world, but the marinas are often first class.
Old 07-11-2012, 21:47   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
They have pumpout at Marina Coral and it's same as our marina back in US. I would have thought Cruiseport had them too. In fact, Marian Coral & marinas in La Paz (where I stayed) had the fuel spill kits they used as well. Pretty serious about the water.

Where are you? We have friends there heading south soon. They are on s/v gabbywray. Also other friends on D & F dock at Coral.
We're on F right now at Coral; staying until some weather passes over head.

I'm just going with what I've observed in the ~5 days we've been here. Haven't seen a single pump out kit, haven't seen any boats go anywhere except to get fuel, and no one talks about it. There are some liveaboards right next to me; maybe they have a massive holding tank or are on a caloric restriction diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpegasus View Post
I spent three years in Paradise Village Marina in Puerto Vallarta, they really keep an eye out for folks not using a holding tank. Get caught and you are out of there. Great pump out facilities, they come to the boat and pump it out for you. Weekly or when ever you ask. Most of the nicer marinas in Mexico have better sit-ups for pump out than in the US.

It maybe the third world, but the marinas are often first class.
Fair enough; we still have ours and I'm hardly an old salt at sailing Mexico, just going with what I saw right here. This marina (Coral, in Ensenada) is honestly a bit like a ghost town. There are people who live here but it just seems so soul-less. Hard to explain.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 18:25   #103

Quote:
We're on F right now at Coral; staying until some weather passes over head. I'm just going with what I've observed in the ~5 days we've been here. Haven't seen a single pump out kit, haven't seen any boats go anywhere except to get fuel, and no one talks about it. There are some liveaboards right next to me; maybe they have a massive holding tank or are on a caloric restriction diet.

I am soo jealous! It is amazing there. I spent 6
months-going to & returning from La Paz and a month last summer. Love the work out, pools & spas. Miss the tacos from Las Brisas (meat) and Feonix (fish). They have a good farmers market up near the university too.

The pump out is near the fuel dock. We have friends on F dock that use something like the natures head. Seems to work for them. Think it uses salt, maybe? I'm sure some don't use it though. It's a good walk to the head too- good exercise unless you are in a hurry
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:16   #104

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

We have a no-dumping all-the-time rule here, so without a holding tank ... you are the holding tank.

My boat has no tank and I'm about to put one in; probably a flexible tank - easy to see how full it is visually, easy to put in an irregularly-shaped space, easy to put in and take out because it's light and when it's empty you can roll it up (carefully, if it's been used!).
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote