Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 11:38   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: thruhull + seacock replacements - planning before pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Man, that does not look right with just the seacock sitting there. You are assuming the handle will not move.
No, it opens periodically and I have to go down and close it.....

Just kidding, I been assuming for a few years now on that handle (those handles) Maybe more than assuming since I freed them up and know how they feel.

But then there are the thruhulls below the cockpit that are never closed, the closed gate valve for the removed engine raw water intake, and the closed seacock for the galley sink all just sitting while I'm assuming.

Some guys have theirs open with rotten hoses attached. Your choice.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 15:47   #32

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Re: thruhull + seacock replacements - planning before pulling

Hi, I feel ya! I just did this. I had a leaky transducer and the wood spacers were looking shoddy on the others. First, I made spacers from fiberglass mat. It took 2 hrs. to remove the 3 thru hulls under the V berth. I took a small hand grinder in and ground all the gelcoat back so I could glass in the new f'glass backing plates. I made a paste with resin and used it to attach the backing plates. Next day I put 2 layers of mat over the whole area and outside I filled the holes with the resin paste (like peanut butter) and faired it where I had ground it around the holes. My trusty holesaw did the rest...Easy peazy-now...I was worried to death over this job before I did it...I only had 3 days and we finished it with time to spare. I changed 3 of the wood blocks with this process and changed every seacock in the boat with bronze ball valves. I repaired the front of the keel and cleaned the strainers. With the pant I had left over we painted 60% of the hull again just to use the paint and kill our day.
After she almost sunk once I am very aware of this situation now and upgraded my bilge pump set-up to 2 pumps, a 500 main pump and a 2000 as a back-up with an alarm. The guzzler is renovated as well and kicks a##..
If you can buy the valves locally as I could, remove them before you buy them...Get em all at once, go back and install them. The thru hulls are easy as well...I made a tool from a pc. of steel and they came right out.
Good luck. I don't think you'll need luck, you seem to be as mentally prepared as you can get...you'll be fine...AND...you always have help online...The support here is great...
Don't know if the pix will show...email me all_as@hotmail.com and I can send ya a bunch of them...Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haul out work 005.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	114906   Click image for larger version

Name:	haul out work 006.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	114907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	haul out work 007.jpg