Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 20:06   #61

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS
Re: Toilet Paper question

Same reason for both heads -- who wants to fix a head or unclog a holding tank gummed up with TP? I sure don't want to see my sweet hubby's face when I tell him he's gotta unplug a head I've clogged up...

Easier to avoid the whole problem by not putting TP into the head.

I've heard it said you aren't really an RVer until you have a black water story... I don't know if that's really a fair statement, but every long term RVer I know has a black water story...

And the worst thing is to pull up to an RV dump station after the previous user just experienced their black water story...
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:08   #62

Boat: OPB
It seems to me that thin easily dissolved paper, dissolves before I'm done using it. The only protection being to use way too much paper, just to make through one wipe. So I opt for the trash can method. If you're not flushing it, you don't have to worry about clogs so why use paper? For the ultimate in comfort, cleanliness, and convenience, I've got two words. Baby wipes! Best thing to ever happen to a sailors butt.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:21   #63

Boat: Columbia C45 45'
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Single ply Scott tissue. Cheap and works great in the head. And no, I don't own the company....

Scott
I've the same thing for a lot if years with no problem.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 20:42   #64
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

It seems like paranoia, head repairs are pretty basic, and wouldnt a head repair every 5 years be better than bagging it? Its got to break down alone some other lines. Maybe the flushers are a more mechanical crowd, the bunch that would repower themselves with joy or change their own headgaskets with ease. I just cant see any of my techie, sailor friends, or race car buddies being afraid of this TP thing.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:07   #65

we have a tmc macerater toilet that got clogged for the first time in 2 years of us owning the boat. While not a pleasant job it's a relatively quick and easy fix. No special treatment
is given to the thing except for really long flushes. If you do that it works (Kids got a little relaxed with the flushing) just like the dunny at home. Some people must have really big boats, cause there ain't enough room on our's for soiled and stinky paper. Yuk!
angus logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:24   #66

The fondness I see here for retained soiled paper leads me to wonder if some might be stuffing their pillows with it. I would like to believe that we're moving away from 18th century standards of sanitation and hygiene, but this thread leads me to doubt.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:34   #67

Boat: Ocean 71

Go the "Jet Wash" as Swifcraft says.. after many years in SE Asia with NO TP, one gets used to it !! & yup, not so gross.. to the point that after 10 years of use & coming back to so called civilised ablutions.. don't feel that clean without it now !! So, a sheet or 2 for drying is no problem for the tank..
smuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 21:38   #68

Boat: OPB
If you've ever eaten authentic Thai food, then you understand why use water instead of paper.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 22:24   #69
cruiser

I dont think anyone here is doubting the fact that bidet(?) are a quality thing. Its just boats and RVs dont have room for one and it's not really what we're debating here. Someone here mentioned using the shower to wash and thats not gonna work. Short of having a real bedit, washing up is not a option.
Old 14-01-2013, 22:30   #70

Actually, the ole "jet wash" uses a spring loaded head attached to a hose - like a small shower head & is attached to the pressure water inlet pipe of the toilet with a "T" fitting & hose. So, toilet & bidet are one & the same. Head of wash sits on a bracket on the wall beside the TP. In SE Asia the whole kit costs about the same as a hand held shower kit.
Old 14-01-2013, 22:45   #71

Apolgies - the above fitting is attached to the pressure water inlet of the fresh water tap !! In any case, it works a treat !!
Old 14-01-2013, 22:58   #72
cruiser

I would much rather prefer a separate unit, but maybe thats just the way us americans do it. I thought the bidet was a french thing or word ayway. My spelling of bidet may be off. Also its very possible that all of SE Asia is wrong and need to get wth the program. And mexico are they really **** baggers too? I cant say I've ever wanted to there, if your gonna go places, why not go someplace nice. I do enjoy a good taco, but would also make the the mex border much more like the DMZ between north-south korea.
Old 14-01-2013, 23:16   #73

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Man, clogged heads, holding tank spills, bags of used TP??? And water-headers talk about us composters like WE'RE dealing with nastiness!
Well, on my parent's boat the TP is bagged, as it is on any boat I charter. The smell really isn't a problem, as dry faeces don't stink, and spread out thinly on TP the stuff dries quickly. Stink comes from bacteria, and they need moisture.

I am seriously investigating "dry" heads. Specifically portable ones.
My weekend sailing is on a lake where the water is clean enough you can actually drink it. (Which we do) You are not allowed to have any discharge whatsoever here. We never spend the night on board, but a whole day on the lake is not uncommon. The ladies like to be able to go to the loo, but me as skipper doesn't like to have to head for the nearest restaurant with jetty ever couple of hours...So a portable camping toilet would be a solution. Just bag the stuff and drop it in the dumpster once we get of board.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 07:31   #74

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I just can't help laughing with you guys on this thread. Imagine this conversation over a few beers in the pub.........
The devil inside me would want to connect the bidet to an ice cold supply of water and the ass would close with such a snap you wouldn't need any paper either.
Why not just hop over the side for the full monty !
I'm cracking up just thinking about it, my schoolboy humour getting me in trouble again ! !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 08:11   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Someone here mentioned using the shower to wash and thats not gonna work.
It works fine for me. I just try to time my showers after defecation. I can't imagine why one might think that wouldn't work.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote