Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 04:51   #46

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Toilet Seat Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Our Deluxe Plumbing is not without issues. Hard to find a tree at sea.
Especially at night the Mast looks like a tree to me.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 05:00   #47

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hehe, at the risk of TMI; I’m the one who cleans the heads. It’s much more convenient to keep it clean than clean it after. Nothing to do with masculinity. I’m lazy, and life is better with a happy wife.
That’s why I insist on all crew sitting when peeing. PART OF THE CREW BRIEFING. Sit, or go outside and keep one hand for the boat.
Even if the person is able to hit the bowl with every drop of the main stream, there’s an aerosol element to the stream periphery (especially among the younger crew who pee with high velocity). It gets on everything in the immediate area. If it’s not cleaned it eventually stinks and corrodes finishes.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 05:59   #48

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Don’t be like pop
Be like sis
Sit your a$$ down
Before you pi$$
Old 20-09-2021, 08:27   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I enjoy fishing and also have a center console fishing boat.....in time of need, most any typical guy will use the stern even though the boat is equipped with a porta potti, which is a pain in the rear end to clean.

However, my wife discovered these feminine urinals that one can purchase in a package of 6.

Hard to describe, but it's basically a small oval cup attached to a plastic bag, which is filled with some or other chemical ingredient. When nature calls, the cup is naturally placed in the appropriate location and the pee goes into the bag. Here it solidifies into a gel of sorts, so that there is no slop, no leakage and no smell and the bag can be stored until such time it can be disposed of. This device can also be used by any man. It can be used while sitting safely in the cockpit.

It's very helpful when dressed in foulies, at night, when you are the designated helmsman. You can keep a few in a handy pocket and never have to leave the wheel.

They are called " Travel Jane's" and a variety of these are available.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 08:36   #50

Boat: Grampian 26

Everyone sits on my head or they sit on the shore. I clean enough already.
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 08:56   #51

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
Everyone sits on my head or they sit on the shore. I clean enough already.
+1 I think the concept of standing up peeing is absolutely disgusting even in the best of circumstances.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:03   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

To answer the OP, perhaps a bit of strategically located velcro strips? I'm sure you can figure some sort of lashing, or bungee, or something.

On our boat, everyone sits. Composting head design demands it. As a male I do find it a bit annoying at times, but it is far safer underway, and it certainly reduces the cleaning needs. And you just get use to it. Not a big deal.

Of course, peeing over the side is always an option. But on that note, does anyone have actual credible data to show a disproportionate number of drowned men are found with their pant zipper down? It's an oft-repeated claim, but I've not seen actual data to support it (not that I've looked that hard).
Old 20-09-2021, 09:27   #53

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I often use a jug, ~ 2 litres, with an open handle close to the top and an opening just large enough and a tight-sealing screw top. Can be carefully used in a bunk without the necessity of undoing lee cloths or having to climb out. Something similar to a portable urinal as used for bedridden patients, but with a smaller opening to provide a good seal in use and the tight-fitting screw cap.

Here is a good example:

Screw top, high open handle, opening just big enough to get a tight seal without getting too personal, as demonstrated by the black rubber ball. The tall, thin aspect allows a good angle if using more horizontally such as when in a bunk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottle.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	245665

I don't know why the forum insists on rotating the image CCW by 90 degrees. I tried to fix it but the forum kept putting it the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210920_122139.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	245662  
Old 20-09-2021, 09:31   #54

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Interesting thread. I was taught from day one to sit down on boats. That’s it. I don’t even have this issue or much cleaning to do in the head. I sit down and pee.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 09:46   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
I don't know why the forum insists on rotating the image CCW by 90 degrees. I tried to fix it but the forum kept putting it the wrong way.
Yeah, it is annoying. Phone camera picture files have some orientation code that the CF image handler does not look at. The workaround is to open the picture file on your laptop/PC, do a "save as", then upload that file. Depending on which app you use to open the picture, you may be able to rotate it in the app. I have to take a screen shot of the picture and save that to fix the orientation. Maybe someday CF will allow rotating attached images.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 10:03   #56

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca View Post
..........Has someone figure out a system that keep the sit up? I wonder what kind of gizmos people has invented…
Wear a harness attached to a tether (safety line) attached to a padeye in the cockpit and urinate off the stern.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 10:10   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
To answer the OP, perhaps a bit of strategically located velcro strips? I'm sure you can figure some sort of lashing, or bungee, or something.

As always, a voice of logic in the wilderness.

I added a single cleat handhold in my head for "vertical stability" and the lid doesn't come down on starboard tack!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 10:25   #58

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRN View Post
I
For forums that like to make your phone pics go sideways- I find that a little photo editing solves the issue. My fix is to crop the photo a little, with my regular photo app, before uploading it. Even just taking the barest sliver off of one side is enough to fix the issue and it will orient the proper way after that. Try it.

I have no idea why this works but I discovered it several years ago on a different forum that used a similar platform.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 12:29   #59
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Of course, peeing over the side is always an option. But on that note, does anyone have actual credible data to show a disproportionate number of drowned men are found with their pant zipper down? It's an oft-repeated claim, but I've not seen actual data to support it (not that I've looked that hard).
No data, but an observation that this is far more common on a small open boat like a Lund, when sport fisherman would stand up to pee over the side.

For 7 years I captained 2 large live aboard sport fishing ships.
Guests would fly in to us for 3 or 4 days of trolling for trophy salmon on 14ft Lunds

Total of 80 guests per week.

Despite my warnings during safety talk, a handful each year would fall over while peeing
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 13:03   #60

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
! litre Yoplait bottle with screw cap, or other wide mouth screw cap plastic bottle/jar. Pee in the bottle, empty over the side or into the head. Rinse with seawater, replace cap and store in a ziplock bag in the heads. Each male can have their own bottle as needed.
Rochester wideband external catheter with a short piece of flexible hose and a a bag or bottle.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil