Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 13:07   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Toilet Seat Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No data, but an observation that this is far more common on a small open boat like a Lund, when sport fisherman would stand up to pee over the side.

For 7 years I captained 2 large live aboard sport fishing ships.
Guests would fly in to us for 3 or 4 days of trolling for trophy salmon on 14ft Lunds

Total of 80 guests per week.

Despite my warnings during safety talk, a handful each year would fall over while peeing
That's a pretty good sample size, and a pretty high incident rate .

I'd certainly agree, peeing over the side of small, bouncy boat is likely a hazardous activity. But peeing over the side of the typical cruising boat...? I just don't see much risk.

This kind of thing translates to all sorts of water-borne risks. When analyzing marine accident data, the overwhelming number of incidents, and deaths, occur at the small power-boat level. Then comes the smaller self-propelled level (canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, etc.)

The number of incidents involving cruising-level boats in the USCG database is tiny, and the number involving sailing cruisers vanishes to insignificance.
Old 20-09-2021, 13:58   #62

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Not to bring back all the wonderful thread drift, but back to the question the OP posed. How to keep the seat up?

If I inserted the picture correctly you should see a picture of the head in my boat. If you look at the picture below the little black sign on toilet instructions you will see a little round white piece of rubber screwed into the wall. When the seat is lifted it fits perfectly under this little piece of rubber and holds it firmly in place till it is lowered. Simple and perfectly effective.

Back to thread drift, I clean the head I pee however the I want to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	245670  
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 14:14   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

So this cowboy walks out of this bar after having several beers, and see this little girl standing outside with a fistful of dollars..
" where did ya get all dem dollars?" the cowboy asks..
" I win them in bets" she replies...
" what kind of bets?" the cowboy asks..
little girl sez" well sir, if we both lay on the ground, I bet I can pee higher up against that wall than you can"..
the cowboy, with a snootful of beer in him, thinks I've got this in the bag and agrees to the bet.
they both lay down on the ground, the little girl hoicks up her skirt...psssstt......makes 3' up on the wall...
The cowboy smirks, thinking he has got this made, unzips and gets ready for his turn, when she pats him on the shoulder...." no sir, no hands allowed"...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 14:46   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzine View Post
Not to bring back all the wonderful thread drift, but back to the question the OP posed. How to keep the seat up?

If I inserted the picture correctly you should see a picture of the head in my boat. If you look at the picture below the little black sign on toilet instructions you will see a little round white piece of rubber screwed into the wall. When the seat is lifted it fits perfectly under this little piece of rubber and holds it firmly in place till it is lowered. Simple and perfectly effective.

Back to thread drift, I clean the head I pee however the I want to
TOO EASY!

Port to starboard line on small pad eyes. Line with just enough slack to toss over the seat when raised.

Home Depot has magnetic door holder openers that would work.

You could make an L shaped hinged bracket to swing over the raised lid.

Back to the more important stuff. Accidents happen on stink boats. I’m not saying there is a mentality issue but, “hold my beer while I show you sump’n.” Also, generally nowhere to hold on or clip assuming they owned a harness.

I am allowed to use any part of the aft Lee rail under way but clipping on is mandatory as with any time on a moving deck. In the harbor I must be discreet (after dark or totally alone). There are no pump outs in almost all of the Caribbean so the rail is preferred.

BTW, there was a solo cruiser in Faulmouth, Antigua last season on a boat named FULL MOON. He did not ever wear any clothes on his boat. He also made no effort to distance himself.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 14:51   #65

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
So this cowboy walks out of this bar after having several beers, and see this little girl standing outside with a fistful of dollars..
" where did ya get all dem dollars?" the cowboy asks..
" I win them in bets" she replies...
" what kind of bets?" the cowboy asks..
little girl sez" well sir, if we both lay on the ground, I bet I can pee higher up against that wall than you can"..
the cowboy, with a snootful of beer in him, thinks I've got this in the bag and agrees to the bet.
they both lay down on the ground, the little girl hoicks up her skirt...psssstt......makes 3' up on the wall...
The cowboy smirks, thinking he has got this made, unzips and gets ready for his turn, when she pats him on the shoulder...." no sir, no hands allowed"...
Well a bit of a typical underhanded approch as the little girl should have mentioned ALL the rules prior to the bet.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 14:57   #66

In regards to actual numbers i have never seen credible data but i agree , to balance on a tinny is an interesting act.

To get this whole issue into perspective , to stand or not to stand is a century old issue and sitting just gives a person a different view on all sorts of issues but their view is just restricted.
I am happy Capt. Cook was standing when he peed and called out loudly "Australia".
Old 20-09-2021, 15:20   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DINGO View Post
Oh i see.
So that opens up now a totally new chapter , does the USCG have any figures about Women drowning?

To me it now seems that women are much smarter than us , they can drink and get drunk like ......... , but because they SIT they in fact survive.

A new dimension on the old topic of who is smarter.
Ever heard of Florence Arthaud ?

https://www.pbo.co.uk/news/yachtswom...let-break-4837
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 15:34   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
One!!!!!! , i have no idea why a woman would even attempt doing it , the physical imbalance is a hurdle for them.

So she is an acomplished Solo sailor but doesnt it show that she is not much smarter than Joh blow down the road?

Again , this issue about falling overboard wasnt the OP's problem , he wanted to know how he can pee into the bowl instead of onto the seat.

Following this discussion i can see some smart sailors here that clearly share my way of doing it and using a bottle.
Old 20-09-2021, 15:39   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Yeah, it is annoying. Phone camera picture files have some orientation code that the CF image handler does not look at. The workaround is to open the picture file on your laptop/PC, do a "save as", then upload that file. Depending on which app you use to open the picture, you may be able to rotate it in the app. I have to take a screen shot of the picture and save that to fix the orientation. Maybe someday CF will allow rotating attached images.

THis thread in "Forum Tech Support & Site Help" should be a sticky
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2303041

From that thread:
Quote:

"The problem is not with CF, it's with web browsers image rendering.

The problem arises because you can hold a smartphone "any way up" when you take a photo. If the camera is held "upside down", the software will store the data from the same start corner to the same end corner of the image sensor so the image is stored "upside" down. The camera also stores an "Orientation" tag in the EXIF data which is contained in the image file along with the actual image data. If the camera was held upside down, the Orientation tag will read "Bottom Right" instead of the normal "Top Left".

Any good image display software, including the one in your phone will read this tag and display the image in the correct orientation.

Unfortunately web browser renderers generally do NOT read the EXIF data and just assume that the image is stored from top-left.

There are two options:
1. Edit and then save the image with software that lets you rotate the image.
or
2. Hold your phone the other way up when you take photos.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 16:42   #70
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Wow, the article suggests she was holding her phone at the same time. One hand for the phone, one for the boat - no?

Quote:
Fortunately she held onto her phone
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 16:45   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Wow, the article suggests she was holding her phone at the same time. One hand for the phone, one for the boat - no?
Held on to her phone could also indicate that she thought the weight of the phone hanging on a lanyard of her neck would counterbalance her rear side.

miscalculation thats all.
Old 20-09-2021, 16:59   #72
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Well a bit of a typical underhanded approch as the little girl should have mentioned ALL the rules prior to the bet.
Well the cowboy would have known she had never used her hands so why would the cowboy think it was OK to use his hands.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:25   #73

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
THis thread in "Forum Tech Support & Site Help" should be a sticky
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post2303041

From that thread:

There are two options:
1. Edit and then save the image with software that lets you rotate the image.
or
2. Hold your phone the other way up when you take photos.

If using an iPhone. The only way I can get photos to naturally appear right side up for this forum is if I take them with the phone held sideways, with the top of the phone to my left. Since this isn’t how I naturally hold the phone to take photos and, regardless of that, I have no way to tell later from a photo how the phone was held, I just crop them a little with the photo app before uploading. This has the effect of uprighting them all.

Sorry to pollute the pee thread with thread drift, but s**t happens.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:39   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...it's hard to think logically when you have a smootful of beer in your belly...
it becomes a case of " here, watch my beer, I got this......"
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:47   #75

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I am happy Capt. Cook was standing when he peed and called out loudly "Australia".
Nonsense. Total nonsense

Jimmy Cook called the place by its accepted name New Holland and, later, suggested that the E coast was New South Wales.

Matty Flinders (or his cat, Trim) was the one who peed and called/mewed Australia.

Tags
oil