Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 22:30   #1

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Toilet Tissue vs Marine Heads

Some sturdy sailors have no issues with putting used toilet tissue in a plastic bag for later disposal so as to put off the clogged head Day of Ugliness. But others are more bonded to shoreside habits or have spouses or crew who'd jump ship at the thought of not being able to flush the paper.

So, which heads can best tolerate t.p.? Does it have to be a system with a built-in grinder/macerator? Does using RV/marine/septic-approved t.p. and lots of pumping help enough?
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 22:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have a Groco "KH" head, and the regular single-ply paper flushes just fine.

On the other hand, in spite of the "Flushable" label on the box, baby-wipes do *not* flush well, as they get wrapped around the toilet's flapper valve and do not dissolve. I suppose that the more cloth-like double-ply paper might cause a similar problem.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 00:41   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Baby wipes are a big no no. The viscose weave material is tough as hell and wont shred in a macerator either.
Some sanitary items are made from similar stuff.

Some of the more 'luxurious' paper can also prove too much in larger amounts, so this is one occasion when a man can be forgiven for buying a 'cheaper' brand which breaks apart too easily
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Gf used baby wipes results NOT PRETTY.Do not even keep on boat.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06   #5

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I installed a Raritan PHII manual head 10+ years ago, used it virtually EVERY day, and have never had a clog or problem. I use store brand "green" (read recycled) toilet paper.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
I too have the Raritan PHII and no problems using even fancy double-ply, though (because I don't want to push our luck) we normally use the cheaper single-ply brands (whichever is convenient to buy where we are). No problems yet after 3 years and zero maintenance.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Let me start right off by apologizing for discussing a subject some may not feel comfortable with.
Why use toilet paper at all? If you've traveled to Asia you have experienced the water spray, similar to the spray many have on their kitchen sinks, that is very effective. Very easy to install.
If a seagull took a dump on your arm, would you wipe it off with a paper towel or would you wash it off with water?
Some, of course, must have their toilet paper, but flushing it down a marine toilet is a very bad idea. As in Central and South America, put the used paper in a separate container like a small paper bag. It goes out with the garbage.
One last comment; if your toilet does jamb, try reversing the power leads to the motor and run it just a second in reverse to free the impeller before you ruin your entire day dismantling the toilet.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
2 Raritan PHll's, one fresh and the other raw water. Use Charmin double ply with no problems. But be careful what you keep in the head area because my experience is some guest might/will test your toilet.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:13   #9

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
this is one occasion when a man can be forgiven for buying a 'cheaper' brand
LOL I will try to remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
If you've traveled to Asia you have experienced the water spray, similar to the spray many have on their kitchen sinks, that is very effective. Very easy to install.
I dont know where you were but all I ever saw was a ladle. Spray is a great idea though and its now on my list of things to do.

ARRRGGHH!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 15:56   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
We have been putting the tissue into the toilet. Normal tissue, normal toilet (RM69) no single issue ever.

I heard some negative comments from owners of holding tanks - apparently the tissue can clog up the tank, vents, etc..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 16:09   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if it hasnt been eaten it doesnt belong in the head. people have no problem with dispo of paper into a bag--has to be done in mexico--dont flush it there--practice using bags---isnt hard. anyone fouls my head gets to fix it by self. i ahvent has any problem with visitors using as i tell them. they break it they fix it--they know that in advance. i refuse to use the self dissolving in your hand wimpy tp--i use real stuff that holds up and prolly wont bio degrade ... but it works.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 17:15   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Does it have to be a system with a built-in grinder/macerator?
Does it HAVE to be a macerating toilet? No. But a macerating toilet demolishes TP before it can even think about clogging a sanitation line.
Old 13-09-2010, 05:23   #13

Boat: Stormwind 40 cutter rigged steel ketch
There was recently a thread “Sneaking the holding tank overboard”. For me these two threads are somehow related. That is, we put the papers to a bag for two reasons: not to clog the lines, and should we ever need to do so, not to leave a line of toilet papers behind us if the tank will be pumped overboard.
Heikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 06:00   #14

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Has anyone ever tried to wet toilet paper and then do anything with it? It just falls apart. Doesn't it just do the same thing in the toilet lines?

We have lived on a boat for years using regular Charmin toilet paper without a clog and travel in a RV frequently with a clear fitting on the holding tank exit. It is a "wonderful" opportunity to look at the stuff that is in your holding tank but I can't say I have ever remembered seeing any intact toilet paper even on just a weekend trip.

While I can imagine that a large amount of dry toilet paper would be difficult to flush until it was wet down good I suspect most clogs are really the other thick grit and residue that coats the plumbing lines and valves and is just blamed on the TP. Most likely something would have clogged it up pretty soon anyway.

I would even venture to say that given equal amounts of TP vs "the natural stuff" that I could probably clog a head easier with nature's own then with wet toilet paper.

So if you are inclined to use toilet paper I don't think this thread should discourage you as many are doing it successfully. If you are inclined to preserve holding tank space, flushing toilet paper does take more liquid and you can reduce that by bagging.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 06:15   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
No problem using regular bog roll. We live aboard, use it every day and have never had a problem: Not a single blockage.

The head is a standard Jabsco pumper (we also have an electric head which we don't use often). I think the basic trick is to pump lots of water through. As mentioned in post #14, bog roll tends to break up in water anyway.

The thought of bagging the paper sounds pretty repulsive.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote