Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 06:34   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Too much pressure?

We have an ongoing problem with severe marine growth in our salt water system here in the subtropics. We removed 40 pounds of mussels etc. from our virtually inaccessible sea chest just last summer. All of the salt-water-fed hoses are victims. The boat is in the water twelve months a year.

In addition to twice-a-year Barnacle Buster treatments, I like to regularly run fresh city water through the system via a hose-fitting on the cap of our raw-water strainer. The hope is that a bit of chlorine will at least slow the sea critters down. So I close the through-hull, attach the dock-water hose and run all of the a/c’s and the fridge/freezer as normal for an hour or so.

A friend has suggested that this is too much pressure on the system. Any of you engineers have an answer? Thanks!
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02   #2

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats
Re: Too much pressure?

Could be. Hose connection pressure gauge is about $20 at any home center. I check before connecting at a new location.

Our water inlet is an inexpensive Jabsco that regulates to 45psi. I still think that is higher than necessary but that is for the water system.
Don't think you will remove anything clinging without chemical assistance.
Unless you have a complete blockage you will not see full pressure on the cooling systems.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:07   #3

A fresh water rinse is good at killing growth, but it has little to do with the chlorine in it. It's just fresh water, and most saltwater fouling critters that cannot survive in pure fresh water for very long. Of course any shells or other debris stay behind, but that is what the Barnacle Buster flush is for

As for the pressure... a saltwater circulating system should be built to at least the same standards as your potable water system. After all, any failure in the salt water system has the potential to sink the boat. Hoses, hose clamps and fittings would have no problem.

In addition, I assume you will do this with an open discharge. In that case the pressure in the system is a function of the flow rate. if you just dial back the flow to something that looks roughly like what your saltwater pumps do, the pressure be similar to what you normally have. There is no advantage to a high velocity flush, you are killing things with chemistry, not trying to wash them away.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Pretty common to connect a fresh water hose and run the AC pump to flush. I did it regularly

Pretty unlikely the extra 30 psi will be an issue and if it were you would know it by now