Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 10:55   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Trident propane false alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There should I believe be only four sets of wires going away from the panel
1. power
2. ground
3. wires for the solenoid
4. wires for the sensor

I'm betting on a bad sensor
I'd guess the sensor wires are a smaller gauge? MHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:34   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
My propane gas detector will sometimes alarm when the wet cell batteries are gassing a lot. Could that be what your experiencing?
+1. Many sensors will alarm on various gases, not just propane. The alarm may indeed be smarter than you think...look for other sources.

Years ago, we had one alarm in the wee hours of the morning. After being rudely awakened and ripping things apart to confirm not a propane leak, we tracked it down...a paper towel with finger nail polish remover in it...which my wife had depsoited in the galley trash bin.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:01   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Diesel fumes will send off mine. Any spilled flammable liquid seems to set them off.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:52   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

[QUOTE=OrangeCrush;2369656]I heard from my boat's previous owner and got some clarity (he was actually following along here on the forum and got in touch). The spray can thing was just the float for the bilge pump and the only sensor is in the galley behind the stove, nothing in the bilge now. It seems they don't make detectors for my old panel anymore but the tech guy at Trident told me I can remove the Figaro TGS 813 screen and clean it or replace it and it might solve my false alarms. He also recommended not putting any sensors in the bilge because there are too many other fumes in there. Also you can test a sensor with the gas from a bic lighter, which did not set mine off so I might need a new one anyway.

So I'll clean the sensor and if that doesn't work I'll need a new panel. Thanks for the help, all.

Hi
Most of the various brands of marine "gas" sensors that I worked with used the Figaro TGS 813 sensor. Some mfgrs soldered the sensor pins & some used an old vacuum tube socket to allow you to plug the sensor in.
Either method,it's the same sensor used .

go to ebay & "fill yer boots"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ensor&_sacat=0

Cheers/ Len
Old 21-09-2017, 06:41   #20

I have gone through two of these in about 6 months. Has anyone had any luck cleaning them? I'm not in the US so it's hard to get replacements from Trident, but I'm going to reach out to them today if I can find a contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Should look like this

Regards John.

DanDerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:27   #21

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDerrick View Post
I have gone through two of these in about 6 months. Has anyone had any luck cleaning them? I'm not in the US so it's hard to get replacements from Trident, but I'm going to reach out to them today if I can find a contact.

The trident tech was very helpful when I called. I think his name was Dan. Cleaning the screen element with soap and water did nothing for me, but I bought a new part for $15 on eBay and it did the trick... for a minute. I guess i misaligned the circuit board inside the detector because a minute after I tested it, it started sparking and shorting out and smoking. I ended up getting a whole new panel on eBay for about a hundred bucks and I'm glad to have the more modern unit for something this important.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:38   #22

Why did a leaking valve at the tank set off the leak detector? The tanks should be in a sealed locker that vents overboard. Leaks in the locker should not be detectable above the stove, IMHO.
Old 21-09-2017, 07:44   #23

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Not sure if that question is for me (OP) but I didn't have any leaks, just false alarms with the older detector. Since I installed the new panel and detector it has worked great. No false alarms, and one legit alarm when a crew member tried to light the oven the wrong way.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 07:50   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Since this is a safety system and your life could depend on it, I would steer away from eBay unless you can be sure that you are buying brand new OEM parts.

Cleaning the sensor may or may not stop it from alarming but are you sure it still works as designed? You might have just killed it.

The safest thing to do is replace it. The same brand would be the easiest but another brand would work if it's easier to find.

And if you're not sure you can do this correctly, pay someone who can. You don't want to wake up dead one morning.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:49   #25

With the current Trident sensors, I've found they really hate moisture. I got through a couple of sensors before I figured out that the location in the bilge allowed them to get wet when heeled. I had to compromise and put the sensor high up in the bilge.

That's why I'm a little doubtful about cleaning them.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:38   #26

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
With the current Trident sensors, I've found they really hate moisture. I got through a couple of sensors before I figured out that the location in the bilge allowed them to get wet when heeled. I had to compromise and put the sensor high up in the bilge.

That's why I'm a little doubtful about cleaning them.

Mark
The original equipment sensor used by most LPG alarms is a Figaro TGS 813.

I never had any satisfaction from cleaning them,using a variety of methods & chemicals over many years. There is a heating element inside the sensor & I assume it burns out. It certainly will not stand dampness,let alone water.

The recommended location for the sensor is not the bilge. The recommended position is behind the appliance(stove,etc),under the propane connection & close to floor. See attd article for reasoning.

Safe Boat Propane System Installation
See pgh 9-Fume sensor

"If propane gets to your bilge spaces,it may be too late"

Hope this helps / Len
Old 22-09-2017, 03:02   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:40   #28

I've been having the same problem lately, with somewhat increasing frequency. I pulled apart the sensor unit and examined the circuit board. There was some mild corrosion around a few of the solder points where the wires came in.
I scrubbed with a wire brush, vacuumed everything to get all the dust out, and re-installed. Fingers crossed.
SollaSollew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:49   #29

Propane sensors do lose sensitivity and have to be replaced eventually.

My sensor is this BEP unit which claims to have some smarts in the control circuit to deal with changing sensor sensitivity. I don't know if it's true but it has never had a false alarm (I occasionally test with a propane torch) and at five years is doing fine. New OEM sensors are readily available from BEP.

Gas Detector with Control | Marinco
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:15   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SollaSollew.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, propane