Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2022, 12:43   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Troubleshooting an onboard fridge and freezer - where to start

It appears my fridge and freezer are no longer working and I have no idea where to start trouble shooting .Can anyone point me in the right direction?

These wouldnt happen to be water cooled would they?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 18:10   #2

Re: Troubleshooting an onboard fridge and freezer - where to start

How would we know?

Your fridge and freezer might be water cooled. They might be air cooled. They might be BOTH! They might share a water cooling circuit, or have separate ones. They might be cooled by pumped water, or by a keel cooler. They might be fresh water cooled or salt water cooled.

The problem might have nothing to do with the cooling...
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 05:23   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
It appears my fridge and freezer are no longer working and I have no idea where to start trouble shooting .Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Find the fridge/freezer owner's and service manuals, check their troubleshooting guides.

Be sure electrical connectivity exists (breakers, fuses, etc.); a multimeter can help prove you have power to the units (or not).

-Chris
Old 20-09-2022, 05:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The basic basics: Is it running?
Yes: Most likely leaked coolant.
No: Most likely no power.
Old 20-09-2022, 06:41   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Wow, you don’t even know what you have?! Time to pull out the CC

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 09:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
How would we know?

Your fridge and freezer might be water cooled. They might be air cooled. They might be BOTH! They might share a water cooling circuit, or have separate ones. They might be cooled by pumped water, or by a keel cooler. They might be fresh water cooled or salt water cooled.

The problem might have nothing to do with the cooling...
Wasn't sure if there was only a certain type used on boats. I was able to get over to the boat. It's a Secop BD50F/Danfoss type compressor. Looks like it's only air cooled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
Find the fridge/freezer owner's and service manuals, check their troubleshooting guides.

Be sure electrical connectivity exists (breakers, fuses, etc.); a multimeter can help prove you have power to the units (or not).

-Chris
Didn't bring a multimeter this trip (prepping for hurricane) but it does appear to have power. The fan turns on but best I can tell the compressor isn't on (dont feel any vibration or heat on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The basic basics: Is it running?
Yes: Most likely leaked coolant.
No: Most likely no power.
Oh rats. So call a pro and try to find a leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wow, you don’t even know what you have?! Time to pull out the CC
It was my Dad's boat and I live 4 hours away. Still learning
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 29-09-2022, 09:43   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Depending on the controllers programming the compressors can take up to 30 seconds to start.
That compressor is used by many different brands of refrigeration. You might also find that the freezer is a bd50 and the fridge is a bd35.
Pics of the compressor installation and cold plates will help identify the brand.
I have now reached the limit of my expertise.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 11:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Depending on the controllers programming the compressors can take up to 30 seconds to start.
That compressor is used by many different brands of refrigeration. You might also find that the freezer is a bd50 and the fridge is a bd35.
Pics of the compressor installation and cold plates will help identify the brand.
I have now reached the limit of my expertise.

I had it on for 15 minutes or so and didn't see any action other than the fan turning on and off. I'll try to get a pic of the plates when I go back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7008.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	265121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7009.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	265122  

Old 29-09-2022, 12:10   #9

Boat: Moody 376

lots of green on those connections which isn't very healthy.

I had a compressor with the danfoss magic box. there was a fuse, but since you've got some power might rule out that

there is test to figure out if the compressor is bad by measuring resistance. I thought I had a thread about it...but cant find it...

possible the magic box is toast...

this may help
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2022, 12:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
lots of green on those connections which isn't very healthy.

I had a compressor with the danfoss magic box. there was a fuse, but since you've got some power might rule out that

there is test to figure out if the compressor is bad by measuring resistance. I thought I had a thread about it...but cant find it...

possible the magic box is toast...

this may help

Thank you, ill put this all in the ol noggin for the next time I can get over there to troubleshoot.
Old 15-10-2022, 09:27   #11
rak

Boat: Sabre S34 Mk1

You tube has videos of troubleshooting the problem, search for penguin refrigeration from the UK. They're excellent
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 16:52   #12

I was able to get on the boat with a multimeter today. I can't quite tell for sure but it kind of felt like the compressor was trying to kick on occasionally but it's possible that was my toddler banging around while I was trying to troubleshoot.

I'm not sure about the correct wiring from the thermostat. It has a brown wire to C with a jumper to P. The blue wire is wired to T. Nothing is hooked to D

I didn't have a light but with my multimeter I was checking for the pulse. I am pretty sure it's giving me 1 flash every 4 seconds for low voltage. It has 13.3V at pos and neg so that seems a bit odd. I will trace the wire back tomorrow to see if I notice any issues.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:04   #13

Still haven;t been able to figure this out. When I hook up a 12v light to get the diagnostic code I get no pulses but I do get some activity with the digitial multimeter. Thing is, with it being digital it's not super clear how many times it's blinking. I'm not sure if the 12v light i have just doesnt light up fast enough or what.

It does seem like it has plenty of voltage at the board so I don't know why I am seemingly getting a low voltage code.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:01   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Digital multimeters are not the best tools for trouble shooting refrigerator problems. The old style analog give a much better indication of what is occurring with the compressor motor.

We used to have a couple of really good refrigeration professionals on the forum who could be relied on to give excellent advice. Unfortunately they appear to have been oppressed into remaining silent these days.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:23   #15

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Still haven;t been able to figure this out. When I hook up a 12v light to get the diagnostic code I get no pulses but I do get some activity with the digitial multimeter. Thing is, with it being digital it's not super clear how many times it's blinking. I'm not sure if the 12v light i have just doesnt light up fast enough or what.

It does seem like it has plenty of voltage at the board so I don't know why I am seemingly getting a low voltage code.
Have had a similar problem (maybe the same problem) with a Secop (danfoss) compressor. They are very voltage sensitive. The voltage measured when the compressor is not running can be normal but drops too much when compressor and fan try to start. The cause can be a poor connection anywhere in the circuit including the feed to main breaker on distribution panel. I solved my problem by running a direct feed including fuse from the battery to the refrig terminal block with #12 wire.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer