Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 15:06   #1

Tubing Size Conversion

Scupper drain is 1 5/8” OD (no barbs), and the dedicated thruhull for the same has 1 1/2” (barbs).

How the heck am I supposed to connect these to with the proper type of tubing for below waterline applications? They all seem to have wire or other reinforcement which leads me to being unable to stretch the 1 1/2” hose over the 1 5/8” pipe. I’m very frustrated.
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:21   #2

Re: Tubing Size Conversion

Amazing isn't it? If the hose were non wire wound you could get it. Not sure if they make rubber non wire wound anymore. They used to, it was real thick wall stuff.
Is the barb on the seacock removeable or cast in?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:32   #3

I feel your pain! You have something that is most likely PIPE size on the scupper drain, as such it is probably a bit BIGGER than 1 5/8 in, and is probably actually 1 1/4" pipe, which has an actual outside diameter of 1.66 inches. (Don't ask why, it just does!)

If the scupper drain has threads on it, you would to be able to adapt from 1 1/4" pipe thread down to 1 1/2" tubing without too much trouble.

Otherwise, your only choice to 1 1/4" pipe (on the scupper) to 1 5/8" tubing, to a 1 5/8" barb to pipe thread to 1 1/2" tubing barb... kludgy. Don't do it with plastic adapters in a raw water hose.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:47   #4

If the barb on the seacock is removable, one option is grey PVC 1.5" hose barb, they actually run closer to 1-5/8". But I don't really like to use them below the waterline, although some are pretty hefty..

Old 03-03-2020, 16:51   #5

I actually tried pulling the wire out of the 1.5” in order to make it work, but the inner portion of the tubing collapses on itself when forcing it on.

The scupper pipe is not threaded, and is exactly 1 5/8” OD.

The thruhull (Trudesign; glass nylon composite) does have a removable barb, but I can’t find a 1 5/8” replacement.

I’m trying to avoid PVC below the waterline (even though I used PVC in marine aquariums commercially for almost 2 decades without any problems).

Any other ideas?
Old 03-03-2020, 17:01   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJOCO View Post
I actually tried pulling the wire out of the 1.5” in order to make it work, but the inner portion of the tubing collapses on itself when forcing it on.

The scupper pipe is not threaded, and is exactly 1 5/8” OD.

The thruhull (Trudesign; glass nylon composite) does have a removable barb, but I can’t find a 1 5/8” replacement.

I’m trying to avoid PVC below the waterline (even though I used PVC in marine aquariums commercially for almost 2 decades without any problems).

Any other ideas?
Is the thru-hull straight under the scupper? I would remove the hose barb and go to pipe of the same 1-5/8” OD. Then you can use the same hose at both ends.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 17:51   #7
Marine Service Provider

Have you tried to find a male-male 1.5 x 1 5/8 adapter?

Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 17:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Is the thru-hull straight under the scupper? I would remove the hose barb and go to pipe of the same 1-5/8” OD. Then you can use the same hose at both ends.
There you go. Go bronze if you want. But is the plastic seacock pipe thread or straight thread?

Old 04-03-2020, 04:17   #9

The thruhull (BSP straight thread) is under the scupper, below the waterline.

I have not been able to find a hose adapter, but I have not yet looked for a 1 1/2” bsp male thread x 1 5/8” pipe adapter. Was hoping for barbs below the waterline.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:53   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVJOCO View Post
The thruhull (BSP straight thread) is under the scupper, below the waterline.

I have not been able to find a hose adapter, but I have not yet looked for a 1 1/2” bsp male thread x 1 5/8” pipe adapter. Was hoping for barbs below the waterline.
You don’t need to worry about barbs... look at wet exhaust systems: same hose, no barbs!
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:41   #11

This Novaflex hose is not wire wound. It may stretch to 1-5/8 with a little effort. Hard to say without getting a piece. https://www.grainger.com/product/NOV...st-Hose-45DU77
or Without barbs should be fine if it's a good fit and will give you room for two good clamps also.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:13   #12

Thank you everyone.
Old 11-03-2020, 13:45   #13

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you're near a hydraulic supply, they have many fittings. Another option is check metric fittings that have US measure on one end. eBay or Amazon
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size