Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 09:54   #1
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Two Danfoss units in the same compartment?

I've been scratching my head about what to do with my refrigeration. The old water-cooled holding plate system is coming out, and I'd like to install a pair of air cooled Isotherm units to replace it.

There's an open storage compartment behind the settee that is large enough for two of the BD50 units. My thought is to duct in air via a demand fan from the bilge for cooling, venting it either into the salon or potentially into the engine room. Is there an issue with running two systems in proximity? They'll be between 6-8 inches apart.

As a second question, I was thinking of mounting them on a pull-out tray for ease of access when necessary. are the lines flexible enough to accommodate, or do they make ones that are? Or is this overkill and I should just bolt them into the locker?

Thanks,

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:51   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Two Danfoss units in the same compartment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
I've been scratching my head about what to do with my refrigeration. The old water-cooled holding plate system is coming out, and I'd like to install a pair of air cooled Isotherm units to replace it.

There's an open storage compartment behind the settee that is large enough for two of the BD50 units. My thought is to duct in air via a demand fan from the bilge for cooling, venting it either into the salon or potentially into the engine room. Is there an issue with running two systems in proximity? They'll be between 6-8 inches apart.
No problem, the Antares 44 have two units one next to the other and they work fine. Just make sure there is good ventilation but you know that already.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 11:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post

As a second question, I was thinking of mounting them on a pull-out tray for ease of access when necessary. are the lines flexible enough to accommodate, or do they make ones that are? Or is this overkill and I should just bolt them into the locker?

Thanks,

JRM

For best performance of your two Fan air cooled Danfoss BD50 condensing units it is desirable to maintain air temperature interring condenser coil at 70 to 90 degree F. Temperatures above or below this desired condenser cooling medium temperature will reduce overall best performance. The simple fact is that once air passes through condenser coil absorbing heat this superheated air should not pass through a second and third time.

Your concept of pumping warm superheated air in one direction and drawing cooler ambient air from another area is one good approach.

Easy access to condensing units is a good idea and hopefully it will rarely be needed. Most icebox conversion units come with 10 to 16 ft of tubing. If refrigerator box and condensing unit are near each other and there is at least 5 ft of excess tubing a two loop coil behind units will achieve some flexibility for a slide out shelf.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:47   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I assume one is for reefer and the other for freezer? If so, keep in mind that they won't always be running simultaneously.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 05:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I assume one is for reefer and the other for freezer? If so, keep in mind that they won't always be running simultaneously.

Mark
Mark, even if only one unit is running condenser's cooling medium temperature range is still important. On JRM's Freezer and Refrigerator condensing units in the same compartment both will be running together about 40% of the time.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:25   #6

Boat: Lagoon 40

We have 2 units right next to each other on our Hunter 42 Passage. They are located under the step to the companionway. They seem to work very well and this provides easy access. I have replaced one unit and replaced the compressor only on the other over the past 2 years. My units have "quick connect" self sealing fitings on them, so removal and installation is pretty easy.

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men