Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 08:26   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Two questions about heating while on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Clearly you don’t sail in northern waters. Coming below deck to a Luke warm saloon is awful.
This is cold enough for an Australian lad .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B06C86B-FD7F-4CBF-8140-1DC92B015FDB.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	265620  
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:57   #32

@Rohan, I recall that those small Dickinson solid fuel heaters are rated for little sailboats of about 20 feet, so even the manufacturer admits the limitations. If for some reason you really wanted to heat from a wood stove, and could load 1-2 tons of pellets into your hold, then a domestic type of wood stove would be needed. But you'll still be tending to the ashes every 4-6 hours. You wake up in the morning and the boat has icicles hanging from the overhead while your stoke a new fire.

If you really want the wonderful feel and romance of a fire, then go ahead and install it, in ADDITION to the Chinese heater or hydronic or diesel fueled.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:50   #33

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Clearly you don’t sail in northern waters. Coming below deck to a Luke warm saloon is awful.
I can attest that they do as they say when it comes to heating their boat. It was jacket weather INSIDE when we were graciously invited for scones one fall Scottish night

Matt
Old 11-10-2022, 14:16   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
I can attest that they do as they say when it comes to heating their boat. It was jacket weather INSIDE when we were graciously invited for scones one fall Scottish night

Matt

Wow. Hardcore
Old 11-10-2022, 20:06   #35

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

I’m thinking of using 120mm fan radiators ( Pc liquid Cooling) as the radiators.

I use heater cores from old commercial vans. Toyota Hiace series III to be precise, as they are by far the easiest to extract from the van. Also, being Toyota, the build quality is top notch.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:56   #36

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
I’m trying to decide to use a Chinese warm air diesel heater or a Chinese hydronic diesel heater. Running the 75mm air ducts is turning into a real pain.

I’m thinking of using 120mm fan radiators ( Pc liquid Cooling) as the radiators.
Do you need to duct the heater more than once?
I just put 120mm into the cabin. Expect / Hope it will spread the heat naturally.
If the heater ever works when I need it too.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 14:57   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
1. When it comes to a dedicated heater, I have considered options and would prefer to install a solid fuel heater. But when I google it, the Dickinson Marine Newport heater (here, or featured in this article here) is the only result I get. So is that really the only choice? It looks like a fine product, but it's dimensions are a little large. It's not very tall or wide, but it sticks out 10" from the wall, which is too much on my boat. I'm not sure there's any good place to put it. I would love a smaller one, if anyone knows about one, please share.

2. Heating with the oven. I know that's not recommended, but how bad is that really? I have a fairly standard Force 10 propane gimbaled oven. Surprisingly just by cooking it heats up the cabin pretty well. Any specific danger of using it as a heater? I'm not worried about carbon monoxide because I have 3 CO detectors which have all been recently replaced.
Diesel air heater just like on my semi trucks draws combustion air from outside and exhausts outside sips diesel I go through about 12 or 13 gallons a year with my 5kw unit on my 30.
Hot air to both ends of main salon and cold return at foot of my quarter berth .
Simple controls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20180912_143908.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	265700   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180912_103232.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	265701  

Name:	20181023_143154.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	265702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181023_143206.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	265703  

Old 12-10-2022, 15:03   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post

Has anyone ran a forced air diesel heater over night? If so what was the power draw?

!
No I don't run it at night when I'm sleeping my goose down is plenty warm but I do turn it on before I get up in the morning
Has well over a dozen settings with my controller running with 20°F outside and 65°F inside I use setting 5 and it uses about .75 amps when running .
Old 12-10-2022, 15:09   #39

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Pellets don't burn well in a wood stove. They tend to smolder unless you have a very high draft. In a pellet stove you have forced draft that has incoming air blowing against the pellets making them burn rapidly.
I have a pellet stove, too, as my main heat. It has a water coil that heats the boiler so I only run a circulation pump and not burn $6 diesel.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 15:13   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Pellets don't burn well in a wood stove. They tend to smolder unless you have a very high draft. In a pellet stove you have forced draft that has incoming air blowing against the pellets making them burn rapidly.
I have a pellet stove, too, as my main heat. It has a water coil that heats the boiler so I only run a circulation pump and not burn $6 diesel.
Where you getting $6 diesel these days?
Old 12-10-2022, 15:24   #41

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I just put 120mm into the cabin. Expect / Hope it will spread the heat naturally.
My Chinese diesel heater is in the aft lazzerete on my 41 sailboat.
Draws air from the aft lazzerete, exhausts outside of course.
My 5k unit came with the splitter for two registers, both I kept in aft cabin area. I couldn't really run anything forward to the main cabin or forward cabin and was thinking the distance was way too far to be effective. Lo and behold I was pleasantly surprised how much heat it puts out and it does heat the whole boat. Yes the forward cabin and forward head do get less/take longer but the whole boat gets very comfortable. A strategically placed fan can help.
I wouldn't worry about vent placement at all on a 30 foot boat. Keep it simple is my motto.I can sail with my cockpit fully enclosed, companionway open, heater on and be very comfortable.
This will my 4th coming up winter with it, no issues except I replaced/redid my exhaust last winter with a better quality exhaust hose connecting my eberbacher muffler.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 04:14   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Two questions about heating while on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post

My experience is I need to duct throughout the boat. 4 outlets 9M pipe run. This is based on 4 previous boat installs. In my case 1 act cabin , 2 to saloon , 1 to forward cabin. This handles door closed situations and prevents air movement due to differential temperatures.
Old 13-10-2022, 08:04   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I missed how much cold weather boating you are trying to prepare for. One option for occasional heat when the engine is running is to add a simple automotive type heater with a core and fan. Something like https://www.nautiqueparts.com/produc...e-wrapper-fan/

Obviously it is only of use when the engine is running but could be a simpler install if you only need occasional heat. You wouldn't want to idle the engine just to make heat. If you are trying to heat while at anchor then a diesel heater like and Espar has a lot of advantages.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 08:25   #44

Will you be at anchor or on a dock with shore power?

We had good luck with an air/con unit that had an electric heat option but obviously, you need to be on shore power.

On our 34ft catamaran, with 10k btu heat, it was fine down to around 30F, then it started losing ground roughly 1 deg for each deg colder it got outside.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, water