Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 11:44   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Uh oh! Head leakage where there never has been before

I am in the process of commissioning for Spring. When I looked in the front head there was antifreeze that had seeped out below the Jabsco head. I then checked the aft and same thing. I believe I decommed in the way I always have but this makes me think I missed a step. Is there possibly a simple gasket that needs to be replaced? I am pretty much accepting that I have to pull the both out but looking for advice that might give me hope for not having to replace both.

I am uploading a pic from my phone so it might not attach
Thanks,
Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D542E7E3-9937-40EF-9950-89CBE6E17FD0.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	288893  
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 13:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Uh oh! Head leakage where there never has been before

I'm betting that new gaskets will solve the problem. MA winters are not kind to rubber.

Why is there antifreeze in the bowl to leak? All you need to do to winterize any toilet is: 1.Pump out and rinse out the tank. 2. Disconnect the toilet intake line from the thru-hull (close the seacock first!) 3. Stick the intake line into a gallon of non-toxic antifreeze...flush the whole gallon, or at least enough to put at least 1" on the bottom of the tank. You're done.

That winterizes the intake line, the pump, the channel in the rim of the bowl AND the toilet discharge line.
Freezing temps don't do any damage...water expands about 10% when it freezes...damage only occurs where there's no room for it to expand--in the lines, the pump and the channel in the rim of the bowl. Running antifreeze through them gets rid of any water in them. There's plenty of room IN the bowl for any water to expand, so no need to leave antifreeze sitting in it.

f you have a macerator pump, put enough antifreeze in the tank to turn it on long enough to run it through the macerator too.

BTW...Paul Campagna is Jabsco's toilet guru...you should be able to get new gaskets--or what you actually need if I'm wrong--directly from him. He's in MA. His direct line is 978.282.5246

--Peggie
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 09:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the quick answer Peggie.

I will check in with Paul.
Old 29-04-2024, 12:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just to close the loop, I first added some plain water and a few days later one head seems to have leak at the base just a bit more - paper towels were damp. I cleared both bowls and filled again with colored water - a week later no leaks. One joker valve needs replacing but otherwise the leak seems to have disappeared. Though problems that go away on their own usually come back the same way.

I did contact Jabsco. Paul was out but the other tech was very helpful.

Tags
head