Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 20:15   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Under sink water filtration system

There are many options for UV filtration for much cheaper if you DIY
https://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-L.../dp/B0110LTDDM
https://www.amazon.com/Drinking-Filt...2-63e904010ad0
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 16:03   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstj29 View Post
I am thinking of installing this, opinions, ideas welcome

https://acuvatech.com/product/acuva-arrowmax-2-0/

We have several of these and they are a well engineered product based on a new type of UV LED which has sufficient power at the right wavelength to disinfect your water (test results on their webpages).

Their units are great, low power and no bulb changes.
IronicIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2024, 02:41   #48

To anyone who has added a 12v UV sterilization lamp after their water has passed through a 2 or 3 part filteration system how did you wire in the power to the UV part?
"On" when the pump is on or wire it so that it only comes on when the pump activates or thirdly totally independent to the pump? Thanks for your thoughts.
HairTwiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2024, 13:33   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairTwiddler View Post
To anyone who has added a 12v UV sterilization lamp after their water has passed through a 2 or 3 part filteration system how did you wire in the power to the UV part?
"On" when the pump is on or wire it so that it only comes on when the pump activates or thirdly totally independent to the pump? Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi, HairTwiddler, and to the forum!
I don't have a UV system onboard, but do at home. I think you cannot have the UV light on only when the pump activates, because water can flow with residual water pressure. I would not trust that all the water gets UV treated.

Whether it is OK to have the UV light on when the pump power is on: that seems reasonable, but I would check the specs on the UV light. How long must the light be on before the water inside is considered safe?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2024, 02:31   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Can I turn my UV water disinfection system off, when I’m not using it?

No, your UV system should not be turned off, regardless of whether or not you are passing water through it.

In addition to killing bacteria, the UV light creates a barrier between the disinfected water, and the untreated water.
By leaving the UV system on, you eliminate the potential problem of having bacteria grow through the system, while the unit is off, and reinfecting the water, downstream of the UV system.

Second, every time you turn off the UV system on and off, it shortens the lamp’s [& ballast’s] lifespan.
The energy used to turn the system back on will eat away at that 9,000-hour lifespan of the lamp. If you are constantly turning the system on and off, you may only get 10 months of disinfection out of the lamp rather than a full year.

You will also need to flush, and disinfect the water system, after an extended period of it being powered off.
Since there isn’t any disinfection residual, it’s important that the entire plumbing system, located after the UV, be chemically disinfected, to ensure that the water is free from any bacteriological contaminants. The disinfection process must be performed as part of the initial UV installation, and repeated whenever the UV is shut down for service, it’s operated without power, or had been inoperative for any reason

If winterizing your boat, and you need to drain the water from your UV purification system, then the UV system must be switched OFF, and the shut off valves, on either side of the UV system are closed, creating a physical barrier, to keep any untreated water [or microbiologically unsafe pathogens] from passing through the UV chamber, while not in use.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water