Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 20:18   #1

Urgently Looking for Propane fitting help!

Hello all,

Supposedly going in the water next week after a year out and there's a couple of tasks that are vexing me.

I bought a Trident regulator and pigtail. I have a solenoid that was recomended on another site, but it appears to be the same solenoid included with the Fireboy Solenoid/Switch/Sniffer kit that I bought. I'm tryiing to it it all working together.

I'm good from the tank to the regulator. Problems:
1) After the regulator I'm trying to get to the solenoid. The solenoid thread is smaller than the regulator. I'm not sure where I got it, but I have a step up fitting that goes from the solenoid to the regulator, and the thread matches up (I can screw it in) BUT it's a very loose fit. It bottoms out at the collar of the fitting and that's the only time that it tightens down. I assume this is bad, right? That's not made to be filled with tape I hope? There is probably .5mm of play between the fitting and the regulator.
2) After the solenoid, I'm trying to get to the hose, I think the hose is 3/4" female flare (?) but not sure what the solenoid is.

I'm really confused how they sell the regulator and hose but it doesn't come with these fittings?

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect regulator->solenoid->hose?

Thanks!
paul
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 20:20   #2

Re: Urgently Looking for Propane fitting help!

here's what I have:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/i5jw5xuqp...gb27WZi7jrBVfa
Old 01-09-2014, 20:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If you are not sure what you are doing don't mess with propane. It will kill you and hopefully no one else while it does that. Hire a professional to do the job and work with him so you can learn.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 20:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If you are not sure what you are doing don't mess with propane. It will kill you and hopefully no one else while it does that. Hire a professional to do the job and work with him so you can learn.
Thanks but I'm pretty clear about what I need to do other than finding these missing fittings. The previous system was installed by a "pro" with no solenoid, a stopcock in the middle of the hose and was generally suicidal. I'm doing this by ABYC standards other than not having a locker this season. I am definitely vexed by these threads though. That's why I asked.
Old 01-09-2014, 22:05   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Sounds like you are mixing straight machine thread with npt, (tapered pipe thread.) Go to a good hardware store with your parts and get the right stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 22:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Hey Sully. If I were doing a propane install I would be sticking with flared fitings or NPT (pipe) fittings.

Clearly the regulator to solenoid adapter that yoyu "got somewhere" is not the go. It could be a straight thread or designed as a shoulder fitting or any number of things.

If you can estimate the sizes these guys have probably anything needed to hook propane stuff together.

Brass Fittings and Orifices, Propane Tank Fittings, Propane Control Valves, Brass Nipples
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:56   #7

I went to a big plumbing store. They had a fitting to go from the regulator to the hose. He said that the solenoid is a weirder thread so he came back with 3 different steel fittings to get to the solenoid...I said steel was a no-no. So...I have a propane system now without the solenoid. I'll call the shop ex-calif recomends and see if they have the other stuff.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38   #8

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

The big box stores have supplies for grills and such. With explosive gases the safer course is to buy the marine parts, and preferably from the same manufacturer so all fits together without adapters.
My recollection is the propane tank has a shutoff valve, that goes to the pressure gauge, then to the regulator, then the solenoid. No need for additional shut off valves, they should be limited to the tank and solenoid so the lines are not pressurized with gas when not in use.
One tip I picked up was to turn the propane off by shutting down the LP switch or breaker, not by using the dial on the front of the propane stove. That eliminates the gas in the lines.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane